• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
What we badly need more so for character customisation, are for the games to give the character a proper ginger hair colour that's not wine red and curly hair LOL It's annoying when I have to settle for something else when I recreate myself in the modern pokemon games.

I actually want older protagonists this time around like how Gen 5 and 6 did it. I just feel like having protagonists who are 9 to 11 years old is starting to lose originality and severely limits character customization. Just let my character have facial hair of his own, is that too much to ask?

I just realised that Piuk's leak about the pyramid, peninsula and island is just Pokemon Lets Go towards the Kanto Region. The rest of the theory is off by a couple of regions and games on if true.

Also, though the flowers and tree mean nothing, they could just mean the time of season and climate of what they are known for. the flowers for example are Summer based, warm and sunny, whilst the Pine Tree is Winter based, cold and snowy. Also the latest tweet from the creator of Pokemon with the capybara tweeted that 'it's cold and raining, 6 degrees Celsius.'

Likely candidates could be Argentina, Chile, Canada, Greenland, Iceland, Ireland, UK, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Norway, Sweden, Finland, or Russia.
Spain or China is still likely, but these are just speculations, nothing more nothing less, so don't let us get our hopes up.

Last edited:
So I read up a bit on Tourist Destinations for the Japanese and these are the most likely candidates IMO (not in any particular order);

1. China
2. UK
3. Spain
4. Germany
5. Australia
6. Switzerland
7. Canada

South Korea is also listed as a tourist pick for Japanese in Asia but I don’t know how would a Korean region be received.

So I read up a bit on Tourist Destinations for the Japanese and these are the most likely candidates IMO (not in any particular order);

1. China
2. UK
3. Spain
4. Germany
5. Australia
6. Switzerland
7. Canada

South Korea is also listed as a tourist pick for Japanese in Asia but I don’t know how would a Korean region be received.

I don't think this is all to do with Japanese Tourism, nor how big Pokemon is in some countries. From what I've learned, it might have something to do with either the console, technology, skills of improvement, or unique cultures of their choosing.

France was chosen for Gen 6 because of it being the first 3D based Pokemon game, along with the beauty of the country.
Hawaii was chosen for Gen 7 because of the rich and unique culture, as well as having to do with the sun and moon.
Gen 8 would probably be chosen to correlate with the Nintendo Switch. Being a Handheld as well as a Home Console, it would fit the theme of Old Tradition Vs New Exploration that was hinted in the past. Sure, China is well known for that. But if it's to do with the origin of all that we have today, this computer, Ipad, Iphone, cars, trains, etc. You need to look no further than the Industrial Revolution, which started in the UK.

It might be Spain, but again, it doesn't much fit the cold theme that Game Freak might be going for. We just have to wait and see.

I don't think this is all to do with Japanese Tourism, nor how big Pokemon is in some countries. From what I've learned, it might have something to do with either the console, technology, skills of improvement, or unique cultures of their choosing.

France was chosen for Gen 6 because of it being the first 3D based Pokemon game, along with the beauty of the country.
Hawaii was chosen for Gen 7 because of the rich and unique culture, as well as having to do with the sun and moon.
Gen 8 would probably be chosen to correlate with the Nintendo Switch. Being a Handheld as well as a Home Console, it would fit the theme of Old Tradition Vs New Exploration that was hinted in the past. Sure, China is well known for that. But if it's to do with the origin of all that we have today, this computer, Ipad, Iphone, cars, trains, etc. You need to look no further than the Industrial Revolution, which started in the UK.

It might be Spain, but again, it doesn't much fit the cold theme that Game Freak might be going for. We just have to wait and see.

Your argument falls apart when we realise that there are a lot more beautiful countries- UK, Italy and lots more.

And countries which have a lot more diverse culture than Hawaii. My own country, India is pretty notorious for it’s rich culture, among many others.

And I already pointed out earlier how your pattern suggesting next region as a cold one doesn’t hold up.

All the non-Japanese regions so far are those with the highest rate of Japanese tourism and are particularly notorious tourist destinations for them.

The locations picked also tend to have some kind of stereotype attached to it: France’s fashion focus and Hawaii’s culture included.

I’m 60% sure the tourist thing was stated somewhere too...

We must keep in mind that Gamefreak is a Japanese developer and cares about its appeal to Japan first and foremost. Their choices are likely to be based on the Japanese way of thinking and it’s culture.

Also, it must be a pretty uncanny coincidence that the list of top (and most stereotyped) Japanese tourist destinations is identical to our non-Japanese regions, don’t you think?

Last edited:
I don’t really think ‘Oold Tradition and New Exploration’ have any higher chances compared to other possible themes.

Even if it were on the cards, GameFreak has hadn’t plenty of time to think for a new one after Plus Minus ensured that this theme was discussed to death for more than 2 years.

I don’t really think ‘Oold Tradition and New Exploration’ have any higher chances compared to other possible themes.

Even if it were on the cards, GameFreak has hadn’t plenty of time to think for a new one after Plus Minus ensured that this theme was discussed to death for more than 2 years.

You never know, Game Freak has planned new Pokemon games through a 10 year window. Some ideas that are left out would be recycled to later Generations. Take the Alolan Exeggutor for example. That was a concept since Gen 1 and 2. Never underestimate the company, they do tend to hint with us at times.

Last edited:
There's also Tirtouga, a Pokemon designed before Gen 2 came around, after that it was redesigned and was included into the Gen 5 roster. Unused concepts in Nintendo games are used on a later game all the time. Now not all of them become used at all, some for obvious reasons (like the invisible suit in Triforce Heroes, no way that's ever going to be used), but in general, if it wasn't used the first time, it will be used at a later point. Perfect example is how Sakurai originally wanted Kirby to be the sole survivor in the beginning back when the Subspace Emissary for Brawl was being developed, this idea became used for Ultimate's World of Light mode.

You never know, Game Freak has planned new Pokemon games through a 10 year window. Some ideas that are left out would be recycled to later Generations. Take the Alolan Exeggutor for example. That was a concept since Gen 1 and 2. Never underestimate the company, they do tend to hint with us at times.

A hint is different from a leak though. Is GameFreak going to use a concept which the public has known to be a part of a really popular leak since before SM? I’m somhow doubtful.

I am down for either UK or China. If it's UK and they use the industrial revolution as inspiration, does it mean it's going to be set in an earlier part of the established timeline (i.e. before Kanto?) Hmmm...! Would be fun if we see the Kalos war during AZ's war as well.

I am down for either UK or China. If it's UK and they use the industrial revolution as inspiration, does it mean it's going to be set in an earlier part of the established timeline (i.e. before Kanto?) Hmmm...! Would be fun if we see the Kalos war during AZ's war as well.

In Gen 7, especially US and UM, there are hints to time travel embedded within it. It could be that the next game would involve time travel from past to future as well.

All remains to be seen though.

There's also Tirtouga, a Pokemon designed before Gen 2 came around, after that it was redesigned and was included into the Gen 5 roster. Unused concepts in Nintendo games are used on a later game all the time. Now not all of them become used at all, some for obvious reasons (like the invisible suit in Triforce Heroes, no way that's ever going to be used), but in general, if it wasn't used the first time, it will be used at a later point. Perfect example is how Sakurai originally wanted Kirby to be the sole survivor in the beginning back when the Subspace Emissary for Brawl was being developed, this idea became used for Ultimate's World of Light mode.
Don't forget about Tangrowth, Leafeon, Shellos, Gastrodon, (maybe) Sharpedo and (possibly) Whiscash. Those were going to be Pokémon in one generation and then showed up in another one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom