• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
XD Honestly, I have never played a game blind and I feel like I would be more disappointed than surprised if I did- especially by the starters. There hasn't been a starter line that I've liked in its entirety since Gen 2. Usually either I don't evolve them or only allow them to evolve once because I know the final evo is gonna be something I won't like.

XD Honestly, I have never played a game blind and I feel like I would be more disappointed than surprised if I did- especially by the starters. There hasn't been a starter line that I've liked in its entirety since Gen 2. Usually either I don't evolve them or only allow them to evolve once because I know the final evo is gonna be something I won't like.
really?
what ones do you really like in gen 1&2?

This is the day where we discover which Pokemon after Blastoise will be tweeted about, if it's Chikorita, then it may be used as a countdown, if it is Caterpie or Pikachu, then the countdown doesn't exist.

I think it is still at least metaphorically a countdown unless it simply stops! :)

Proceeding with Caterpie would, people have said, conclude in mid June, even during E3 unless they skip days, or also include Meltan (aka Nutty!!) and Melmetal.

I think it is still at least metaphorically a countdown unless it simply stops! :)

Proceeding with Caterpie would, people have said, conclude in mid June, even during E3 unless they skip days, or also include Meltan (aka Nutty!!) and Melmetal.
Yeah, I think whatever it continues with, unless it just stops, wouldn't hurt to keep an eye on in case it does lead somewhere. It's kind of fun fodder to speculate a little on in any direction (albeit less with a starter countdown, I feel).

Has anyone played a Pokemon game without knowing anything about the new Pokemon, or the starters's only?

So after gen 2 but before gen 3 started I went though my, "got out of Pokémon" phase sold all my cards and stopped playing. I can't really recall why right now. But I saw my brother playing Pokémon Colosseum and thought it looked like fun. I had not been paying attention at all during the gen 3 hype phase and social media wasn't really a thing back in 2002 and 2003 so I saw nothing of the new gen 3 mons. Emerald was out at the time and I decided I would go out and buy it and then give XD and Colosseum a try since they could connect to the core games. And it was right before gen 4 started so emerald was really cheap to buy.
I had no idea who any of the mons where, what they evolved into, even the starters. I was more blind then I was going into gen 1 since I had the anime and the cards before I played the games to tell me what was what. But gen 3, nope, I remember staring at some of the Pokémon when I first encountered them in the wild and thinking "what was that" I found tropius and absol to be especially weird. I couldn't believe wismer was a thing that actually existed.
For the longest time gen 3 was my least favorite gen. I have since softened on the gen and feel like most of my negative reaction to it was because I wasn't mentally prepared for anything new. I just decided to start playing Pokémon again one day and found the new mons to be strange and alien. And once I looked at gen 3 again much latter in life I started to appreciate it more for what it was trying to do and what it accomplished.

Long story short, for me, going into a gen blind will probably guarantee that I don't give the new Pokémon a fair chance just from the fact of how shockingly different, different gens of Pokémon can be from one another. I know becomes that's what happened in gen 3 for me.

TBH my first playthrough of a new gen utilizes all three starters anyways, so for me, it doesn't really matter what the other two look like cause i'm gonna use them anyway.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2019-01-23 um 18.42.36.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2019-01-23 um 18.42.36.png
    719.4 KB · Views: 65
Since I honestly love the trailer and leak analysis period before the games release, just as much as I love the games themselves, I play the game kinowing basically everything there is to know. I've wondered if I should try and avoid spoilers, maybe just get the initial gameplay trailer with the starters and box legends, so I have a small idea of what I'm getting into. But since I love this pre-game release period so much, I don't want to miss out on it.

This whole countdown is a LGPE promotion. I don't know how/where/why the 'It's only the starters' hope came up.

If it was starters, they wouldn't be sticking to LGPE footage only y'know...

Yes; they would have had to dip back into probably all Sun and Moon video captures to make the gifs!!

It is exciting to see that basically around the time of E3 they will be posting some very classic legendaries!!

It is sort of a consistently good way to remember that although it is January, it is less time than it might feel or appear; if the original Pokedex wasn't essentially superimposed onto the calendar!!

oh, caterpie huh?
yeah the one that I see doesn't have anything yet and its been 24hrs since Blastoise. maybe its a little behind.
perhaps these fact things are more for LGPE

If the starter evolutions are released before the game comes out, I'm really not sure whether to have a look at them or not.

Considering this is meant to be a new, console experience for Pokemon fans, I'm wondering whether I should try a different play-style and go into the game not knowing anything about the new Pokemon and their evolutions. Exploring a completely unique region and having no idea what Pokemon you are about to encounter sounds a lot more exciting. It would be more motivating for me to catch them all, and find out what they evolve into. I don't think I've had a Pokemon evolve and be unaware of what they will become, and what type(s) they will change into. It must feel more special this way.

The only problem I can think of though, is how would I know if a Pokemon has an evolution. I don't know how I would feel about training a Pokemon to evolve, yet having no clue if/when it will evolve (Would the Pokedex blanks tell me?).

Having researched starters and their evolutions in the past, I don't know if I could handle not knowing their evolutions. I'm not one who just randomly picks a starter in 5 seconds based on which 'looks most cool' at the time, but instead I spend a good amount of time comparing the three and their evolutions online, before choosing the one that relates to me the most.

I'm worried if picking a starter with no research will end up ruining the experience for me - if I end up preferring another starter more, or if I'm not a big fan of my starter's final evolution.

Has anyone played a Pokemon game without knowing anything about the new Pokemon, or only knowing about the starters?
I'm unsure of how many gen 1 and 2 pokemon I knew from the anime before I gor my first game in fire red, I knew of suicune and hooh and lugia and entei from mlvies and mu siblings. But gen 3 I knew nothing of when I got emerald aside from swampert and even then I didnt know what it was when I forst saw it because it was in a link battle on the bus. I knew of the starters evolutions for gen 4 and watched an entire playthough of black (rip super skarmorys channel) before getting back into pokemon with black 2. And cy and sm spoiled almost everything. I want to go in blind to gen 8 except for the legendary pokemon and the starters.

The only game I have played completely blind is Sapphire, but that was because a) I was too young to use the Internet and b) the Hoenn anime started at least 4-6 months later so I didn't get spoiled through that.

Alright guys, they are done with stating Pokemon facts, nothing came after Blastoise. However, it can still tie in with the whole starters promotion, the reason why nothing came after Blastoise is because of the availability of LGPE being limited to Gen 1 Pokemon.

Alright guys, they are done with stating Pokemon facts, nothing came after Blastoise. However, it can still tie in with the whole starters promotion, the reason why nothing came after Blastoise is because of the availability of LGPE being limited to Gen 1 Pokemon.

Caterpie came up on Germany's Pokemon Facebook page. It is weird though that the English Twitter page has not posted anything yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom