• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nintendo still posts Pokemon Directs themselves, they just don't bundle the Pokemon announcement in with their other game announcements.

Also Mario is the best-selling video game franchise of all time, so Luigi's Mansion 3's potential for sales is probably not that far from Pokemon at all.

The Luigi's Mansion games in general dont always do well. Luigi's Mansion 1 3ds flopped in Japan completely did very poorly worldwide not reaching anywhere near what the original got, No 2 got good sales however ( Believe it was something like 5-8 million based off vgc sales ) but that's fairly poor for a mario game. No 3 really has its work cut out for them.

The Luigi's Mansion games in general dont always do well. Luigi's Mansion 1 3ds flopped in Japan completely did very poorly worldwide not reaching anywhere near what the original got, No 2 got good sales however ( Believe it was something like 5-8 million based off vgc sales ) but that's fairly poor for a mario game. No 3 really has its work cut out for them.
This is pretty ridiculous. 6 million sales for Luigi’s Mansion 2 isn’t poor at all, it’s a side series of Mario not a mainline.

Regardless, this is not the thread for that.

Realistically, what can they do to make turn-based battles more dynamic?

This is pretty ridiculous. 6 million sales for Luigi’s Mansion 2 isn’t poor at all, it’s a side series of Mario not a mainline.

Regardless, this is not the thread for that.

Im just saying, that its not really a system seller on its own and for the general and side mario series those are fairly small. Its not a power title, but it should do well in a empty month if no other decent games release in its window. If anything the big power titles this year definitely will be Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing outside of Pokemon.

Im just saying, that its not really a system seller on its own and for the general and side mario series those are fairly small. Its not a power title, but it should do well in a empty month if no other decent games release in its window. If anything the big power titles this year definitely will be Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing outside of Pokemon.
Fire emblem is much smaller than Luigi’s mansion. The best selling FE title was like 2 million units. If Luigi isn’t a system seller neither is FE.

In any case the system seller discussion isn’t really relevant here.

I think we can learn a lot from Yokai Watch 4

Yokai Watch like Pokemon, has always been an incredibly linear story based JRPG progression game. Yokai 4 has a lot more freedom, while the game is still linear, you can explore more freely within the more open world. This is all Pokemon needs. A stronger focus on exploration, and to have more expansive worlds without the game being open world.

The Yokai Watch monster and boss models don't look like they are made of wet clay, this is what LGPE should have been style wise.

While the transition from turn based to action worked for Yokai Watch this wouldnt work well for Pokemon, Turn based JRPG games are not dead however, Pokemon like Dragon Quest can still maintain its Turn Based structure and still have a less linear overworld.

Visually the progression from Yokai 3 to Yokai 4 was a greater change than USUM to LGPE. The game looks pretty and has its own distinctive style. Gamefreak really has no excuse for a good visual style for Gen 8.

Fire emblem is much smaller than Luigi’s mansion. The best selling FE title was like 2 million units. If Luigi isn’t a system seller neither is FE.

In any case the system seller discussion isn’t really relevant here.

Yeah Mario will always beat Fire Emblem in this regard. I was just saying that the Luigi games in general based off the last two games havent done well even for the side series games.
Def agreed though, we should move away from this topic.

I don't think yokai watch 4 looks much better than sun/moon would if you were to upscale them to HD, it's especially apparent when it shows the MC in the house interiors. I'm expecting gen 8 to look like yokai watch 4 as the bare minimum.

That being said I do feel like gamefreak took influence from yokai watch for gen 7 (vibrant, fun style, quirky dance movies, rotom dex is basically Whisper, younger MC's again despite X/Y making them teenagers, etc) although I expect them to not do that again as Yokai Watch isn't necessarily as huge as it was a few years ago

I don't think yokai watch 4 looks much better than sun/moon would if you were to upscale them to HD, it's especially apparent when it shows the MC in the house interiors. I'm expecting gen 8 to look like yokai watch 4 as the bare minimum.

That being said I do feel like gamefreak took influence from yokai watch for gen 7 (vibrant, fun style, quirky dance movies, rotom dex is basically Whisper, younger MC's again despite X/Y making them teenagers, etc) although I expect them to not do that again as Yokai Watch isn't necessarily as huge as it was a few years ago

I compared LGPE and Yokai Four with screens next to each other, Yokai has a lot more realistic visual detail especially with tree's and rocks. I def think you are right, the visual style of Gen 7 def takes influence from Yokai and a HD Gen 7 would look just as good if not better.

Attachments

• Yokai4.png
    Yokai4.png
    961.9 KB · Views: 74
I decided to buy my own switch because of Animal Crossing. >o>

I really like the way the overworld's looking in Yokai Watch 4, the next Pokemon game could do something similar detail-wise as long as they make the textures less real so it doesn't look so jarring.

Also I really hope they don't change the battle style... not ever RPG needs to abandon turn based combat. :|

It would be strange if february saw no reveal. March never happened.

We know they're in the making and such a new generation on a very new console usually has a long marketing-time.

I decided to buy my own switch because of Animal Crossing. >o>

I really like the way the overworld's looking in Yokai Watch 4, the next Pokemon game could do something similar detail-wise as long as they make the textures less real so it doesn't look so jarring.

Also I really hope they don't change the battle style... not ever RPG needs to abandon turn based combat. :|

I completely agree. I think the turn based combat fits the games really well, and it's a feature I don't want them dropping. Save that for Spin-off games. I don't want every fight I have to do to be this long ordeal. Though a bit more animation for the movies would be nice

How...? I really can't imagine a more active turn-based system- you can't exactly run around or anything if you're taking turns hitting each other. You can't spam attacks while doing turn-based either. Turn-based practically requires a slow stationary battle.
The only way I can think of is the system they used in Final fantasy 7. Speed would be used to determine how fast a Pokémon’s action bar would fill, allowing a turn. Higher speed Pokemon would literally get more hits in, so there would need to be a huge balancing overhaul to compensate.

I completely agree. I think the turn based combat fits the games really well, and it's a feature I don't want them dropping. Save that for Spin-off games. I don't want every fight I have to do to be this long ordeal. Though a bit more animation for the movies would be nice
XD Haha, meanwhile I want an active battle system because turn-based is such a long ordeal.

True. Where I live we only have "Winter" and "Summer", so having the game match real life weather would be extremely boring for me.

Yes :) I would hope that the actual game would have all of the seasons! It is a good point from you and may others that maybe having it be the exact same timing as what is happening in the players' locale would be too slow in certain ways.

(This is from a few pages earlier when the subject of how the longevity of the game experience could be improved appeared! this draft was saved so i have decided to post it!)

About more active battles: I do wonder whether there will be new ways of integrating the surrounding environment. There are many weird and interesting options, but it also could be very hard to program especially in terms of what glitches could happen.

I would actually like to have both battle systems in the game. Active system for the main story and random battles and turn based for gyms/e4/post-game (battle facility; online battles etc.) cause let's be honest there's really no need for strategy to battle the random fisherman with 6 magikarp or any other trainer that is not at least a gym leader

I would actually like to have both battle systems in the game. Active system for the main story and random battles and turn based for gyms/e4/post-game (battle facility; online battles etc.) cause let's be honest there's really no need for strategy to battle the random fisherman with 6 magikarp or any other trainer that is not at least a gym leader
Real-Time does have stratagy though
You need to think quick (like predicting what your opponent will do, what would be the best move to use, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom