• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in the Gen 2 games, wild Phanpy could escape once a turn has passed. Which means that if you tried to get its shiny, you would lose that shiny anyways since it would be out of your control.
A whole bunch of Pokemon had the ability to do that in GSC. They've abandoned that feature and haven't used it since outside of roaming legendaries.

I kind of see the catching and battling mechanics being combined together. In Go, you only catch, in normal games, you battle. In a sense, LGPE is like Go, EXCEPT in the Legendary's cases. You battle and knock them out, and THEN you catch them, without chance for fleeing.

I feel like this is what wild encounters may be like in Gen VIII. Battle down to 0 health and then throw the Pokeballs at it like in GO and Let's GO.

I believe prog is referring to a mechanic that allowed Pokémon to dodge Pokéballs.
Yup, that's the one. Thanks to that mechanic I spent three years believing the Pokémon at the Cerulean Cave couldn't be caught since a Chansey dodged all the Ultra Balls I threw at it.

Ooooooh... forgot that was a thing.

XD And yet they pretty much brought both these concepts back for Pokemon GO. Go figure.
I feel like Go's dodging mechanic was slightly less offensive, since it doesn't happen as frequently as the original version and you get to actually see it dodge instead of just reading about it. Well, at least that's how I see it.

But in real life, animals that do defend territory only rarely flee. They want to keep their homes from being invaded. In fact, they only flee if they were majorly injured. That's the natural world in a nutshell, it's cruel but it's true.

Pokemon are wild animals. Of course they're defending territory.
My point wasn't "Pokemon don't act like this"-it's that behaviors like trying to steal resources or defending territory only make sense if the Pokemon actually tries to fight. Showing up for a second and then immediately turning tail isn't going to scare anything away from their territory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom