• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Remarks about Mew and Arceus

So basically, when the "spirit" within people wished for Pokemon to be real, the Unown manipulated reality and made Arceus appear out of nothingness. Somehow Mew was also born and the other species followed.

The Pokemon world is a future version of our own world.
I'll throw one out there: The Unown wanted to fulfill someone's wish for people and Pokemon to be together. For the record, the Sinnoh lore states that Pokemon and people were even interchangeable in the early days.

That would had made Unown existed prior to the existence of Arceus, and additionally much more stronger than Arceus, which it contradicts that it is the Alpha Pokemon that created all.

......Ah, hold on a second, not entirely impossible, due to the following:

"The way I see it, our world began when the spirit within people was born. When that spirit came to be, there followed awareness about the world. Within the newborn spirit, time and space were intertwined as one. People and Pokémon, too, were but the same presence. As I understand it, people and Pokémon shared the spirit and awareness. They should have understood and accepted each other then. Because they shared the same spirit, people and Pokémon intermingled. People took the place of Pokémon, and the opposite also held true. That interpretation could give us an idea about how our world came to be. A Pokémon is said to have shaped this world. Could that Pokémon be the physical form of the original spirit? Hmm... The spirit came to be, and from it, time and space were born...

Hmm...... So the Hiker speculated there exist an "Original Spirit" that came before Arceus? Right at the very beginning, his wording of "The way I see it" made me question the authenticity of his entire remarks. But nonetheless, I shall provide my speculations.

Since he speculated that "Original Spirit" was born within people, the way I see it (What did I just echoed?), it may mean imagination of human being. If Arceus is the physical form of that "Original Spirit", that means Arceus is not the very first Alpha Pokemon that created the world.
But that contradicts the Sinnoh Myths. So, in order for this hypothesis to become plausible, it shall make the Pokemon World be an "Inner World" existed within an "Outer World", someone wished to the Unown for another alternative Pokemon World, so there granted the wish in materializing such world, and that Hiker is possibly an avatar of that original wisher within this "Inner World".

......Aw, this is hurting my head.

In short, it kinds of like the Mirror World in Kamen Rider Ryuuki. If, by any chance you knew about this tokusatsu show.

(Or if go by the simple route, the "Outer World" is simply just our Real-Life. Because Pokemon World is created inside our head by our imagination, aka the "spirit".)

Yeah and I've always wondered about that, and how I would square it with this other stuff. Because I've always taken that as an implication that humans and Pokémon both stem from a shared genetic ancestor. That could be completely wrong of course, but it's kind of what I've just always assumed.
I once joked to a friend that if humans are indeed descended from apes/monkeys in the real world, then humans in the Pokemon world must be descended from Mankey, Aipom, and other monkey Pokemon and could therefore be considered Pokemon themselves. Though I guess it's more like devolving. =P

I don't see problem with this POV. Because Pokemon World is not our Real-Life. IMO it is not implausible that human being within the Pokemon World had different origins from ours. Do not forget, within the Pokemon World, there exists many human beings with supernatural power that is in Real-Life standards "impossible", yet in that world may be rare, but not impossible.

To speak the truth, even the Real-Life Darwinian Theory of Evolution is by itself quite flawed and being questioned by many professional scientists, specially when probability of genetic drift is accounted. As simple as that question of "If we human are evolved from apes, then why there are still apes?" is not scientifically answerable.
BTW, I am a non-believer of Darwinian Evolution Theory.

Dunno, I was really just kicking that one around. It doesn't even begin to consider whether the letters came first, or the Unown, which is raised as a question in-game at some point I can't recall.

That doubt of Unown VS Alphabet is within its Pokedex entries. So this Egg VS Chicken ultimate conspiracy is canon. (Well that actually rather goes to Arceus...)

As far as etymology is concerned, personally I would speculated Unown came first, where human being in Pokemon World adapted its shape to form language of their own. This is because many of the Real-Life language was developed also like that in ancient time. No languages came out of nowhere, all languages were originated from the fundamental symbolization. Just that where those ideas of symbolization came from, was varied between different countries.

I tend to agree with this. There was Mew, from which all Pokemon descend from, but before Mew, there were Arceus, Dialga, Palkia and Giratina. Are these last 4 Pokemon even considered Pokemon then? It all seems kind of blurry.

Probably I think because just none of the Pokemon researcher within the Pokemon World can go research anything far beyond Mew. Mew maybe extremely rare, but nonetheless it existed physically in the wild for one to search and catch. But the Creation Trio and Arceus, the supposed "true origin" of all pokemons, are not just a matter of rarer than Mew, but one had to even doubt do they physically existed within the same dimension for any human being to just catch a glimpse.

So, scientifically speaking, it is technically not wrong in saying tracing the origin of all pokemons will lead to Mew. But if one had to ask about tracing the origin of Mew which is the further and deeper origin of all pokemon, that is just out of the investigatable scope of any in-universe laboratory-based Pokemon scientist.

Last edited:
All 720 Pokemon?

I usually just went with the fan accepted theory that Mew was the ancestor of all natural, non-"deity" Legendary Pokemon and didn't think it over too much---but even in Generation I it seemed like Grimer and Porygon were probably exempt from that.

But that contradicts the Sinnoh Myths.

Then again, the myths could be inaccurate. They're myths, after all. There is probably some truth to them, but who can say as to how much? Cynthia implies at a point that the perception of Dialga and Palkia as deities came about due to ancient people witnessing their powers. Ancient people weren't experts.

I mean, we already know that the myths are blurred and/or contradictory to some degree. Several of the myths that appear in Sinnoh make no mention of Arceus, the Unown, or even Giratina. Dialga and Palkia alone are said by the myths as the creators of Sinnoh/the world/the universe (they myths and comments from NPCs can't seem to decide on how much of existence they "created," either - and I say again, they begin to form miniature galaxies when Cyrus summons them).

Your last paragraph is also an important thing to point out - Mew is a terribly elusive Pokémon, but the Sinnoh "deities" hang out in their own personal pocket dimensions. Even if a scientist got their hands on a Mew, I doubt that they could trace anything back to Pokémon that they would probably never have the means to encounter.

That would had made Unown existed prior to the existence of Arceus, and additionally much more stronger than Arceus, which it contradicts that it is the Alpha Pokemon that created all.

......Ah, hold on a second, not entirely impossible, due to the following:

Hmm...... So the Hiker speculated there exist an "Original Spirit" that came before Arceus? Right at the very beginning, his wording of "The way I see it" made me question the authenticity of his entire remarks. But nonetheless, I shall provide my speculations.

Since he speculated that "Original Spirit" was born within people, the way I see it (What did I just echoed?), it may mean imagination of human being. If Arceus is the physical form of that "Original Spirit", that means Arceus is not the very first Alpha Pokemon that created the world.
But that contradicts the Sinnoh Myths. So, in order for this hypothesis to become plausible, it shall make the Pokemon World be an "Inner World" existed within an "Outer World", someone wished to the Unown for another alternative Pokemon World, so there granted the wish in materializing such world, and that Hiker is possibly an avatar of that original wisher within this "Inner World".

......Aw, this is hurting my head.

In short, it kinds of like the Mirror World in Kamen Rider Ryuuki. If, by any chance you knew about this tokusatsu show.

(Or if go by the simple route, the "Outer World" is simply just our Real-Life. Because Pokemon World is created inside our head by our imagination, aka the "spirit".)

I don't see problem with this POV. Because Pokemon World is not our Real-Life. IMO it is not implausible that human being within the Pokemon World had different origins from ours. Do not forget, within the Pokemon World, there exists many human beings with supernatural power that is in Real-Life standards "impossible", yet in that world may be rare, but not impossible.

To speak the truth, even the Real-Life Darwinian Theory of Evolution is by itself quite flawed and being questioned by many professional scientists, specially when probability of genetic drift is accounted. As simple as that question of "If we human are evolved from apes, then why there are still apes?" is not scientifically answerable.
BTW, I am a non-believer of Darwinian Evolution Theory.

That doubt of Unown VS Alphabet is within its Pokedex entries. So this Egg VS Chicken ultimate conspiracy is canon. (Well that actually rather goes to Arceus...)

As far as etymology is concerned, personally I would speculated Unown came first, where human being in Pokemon World adapted its shape to form language of their own. This is because many of the Real-Life language was developed also like that in ancient time. No languages came out of nowhere, all languages were originated from the fundamental symbolization. Just that where those ideas of symbolization came from, was varied between different countries.

Probably I think because just none of the Pokemon researcher within the Pokemon World can go research anything far beyond Mew. Mew maybe extremely rare, but nonetheless it existed physically in the wild for one to search and catch. But the Creation Trio and Arceus, the supposed "true origin" of all pokemons, are not just a matter of rarer than Mew, but one had to even doubt do they physically existed within the same dimension for any human being to just catch a glimpse.

So, scientifically speaking, it is technically not wrong in saying tracing the origin of all pokemons will lead to Mew. But if one had to ask about tracing the origin of Mew which is the further and deeper origin of all pokemon, that is just out of the investigatable scope of any in-universe laboratory-based Pokemon scientist.

It would be a bit disappointing to know that you can't trace any further from Mew on. I hope GF won't make that of it. I do like your Outer-Inner World theory. It seems very plausible, but when I come to think of it, the humans in the outer world would also be familiar with Pokemon. It wouldn't make sense if someone would wish for an alternate world with Pokemon if that person lived in a world without Pokemon.

Something else: Uxie, Mesprit and Azelf were mentioned earlier in this thread. Do they only gave knowledge, emotion and willpower to humans or to Pokemon as well? I tried looking it up on Bulbapedia, but it didn't specifically say that the trio gave these to humans. Does anybody know this? It's a bit off-topic, sorry for that

All 720 Pokemon?

I usually just went with the fan accepted theory that Mew was the ancestor of all natural, non-"deity" Legendary Pokemon and didn't think it over too much---but even in Generation I it seemed like Grimer and Porygon were probably exempt from that.
Valid points. Porygon, and possibly Voltorb, debunk the ancestor theory alone. I don't think they were even thinking of them when writing that. It's more fair to call Mew the ancestor of some Pokemon but certainly not all. As much as the confirmed theory fancies me, it still has too many contradictions.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom