• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Old School VS Modern Trainer

DragonTamerX20

Soon-to-be Legend
Reaction score
Are you an old school trainer who plays old Pokemon games (Gen I-III) or a modern trainer who enjoys the newest games (Gen IV-VI) I personally am an old school trainer who likes old games. My favorite was Pokemon Gold. So, which gamer are you?

Last edited:
I would personally classify the older games as the Gen I-III games and the newer ones as Gens IV-VI (seems odd to me to put DPPT as old and HGSS as new when they are on the same console).

Regardless, though, I do prefer the newer games. Don't have a problem with the older ones, I just would much rather play the newer ones if given a choice (unless I'm feeling nostalgic).

I love them ALL! well not really. I started off with blue, then crystal and then didn't play again until soulsilver and then obviously had to get black, white and X. I've gone back and gotten emerald and platinum but I don't love them the way I love the other games.

I was introduced to the series in Gen III, and haven't really played games before that. I tried to play Red but stopped after a while, and my only experience with Gen II is a Let's Play of Crystal. I don't really take these gens seriously anyway since there's no way to transfer Pokémon up to Gen III and beyond.

I feel most at home in Gen IV and up, thanks to the Physical/Special split and a much higher move diversity. I still enjoy FireRed, Emerald, and XD a ton, though.

I still play Gen 2 games and onward but i can't bring myself to play Gen 1 games, they are so archaic and outdated and not fun anymore.

I play newer. I don't play the older ones.

I would personally classify the older games as the Gen I-III games and the newer ones as Gens IV-VI (seems odd to me to put DPPT as old and HGSS as new when they are on the same console).

Regardless, though, I do prefer the newer games. Don't have a problem with the older ones, I just would much rather play the newer ones if given a choice (unless I'm feeling nostalgic).

DPPT is gen 4

I'm a mix of both, I usually play the games I feel like at that point in time. When games first come out, I play the new ones for quite awhile and then play the older ones for a few months while switching between them.

I've been playing since the games first came out.

I find the newer games to be superior in terms of quality and refinement, particularly Gen 5, and HG/SS.

But really, the core game has always been the same, I play the new games basically the same as I played Red back in the day.

I don't know, really. I tend to play both as equal as each other. I guess I'd say modern as I do focus more on teams and what not in those games. However I play the older gens a lot.

Old School when it comes to the Anime if going by Team Gaara's definition of it, but Modern Trainer when it comes to the Games.

Can't ever forget the older games, though: classics then, and still classics now.

I don't really prefer one over the other. I've always been fond of the older games (I grew up with them, after all), but I've also been getting a real kick out of the newer games as I've been playing them. So I guess I'm an old-school Trainer who does his level best to keep up with the times.

That is indeed a difficult question. I adore gen II, and III holds a special place in my heart. However, X/Y are absolutely brilliant as well.

So, I guess I'm not really an "Old" OR "Modern" player, I'll play it as long as it's a quality experience.

Ruby was my first game, and Gen III continues to be my favorite to this day. The newer games are great, but I haven't yet seen a game that is better than Emerald. I love the challenges that older games pose, and if it's any indication as to how much I love Emerald, I've played over 700 hours on it.

I play newer. I don't play the older ones.

DPPT is gen 4

I know. That was my point.

I'd consider myself a modern trainer, which is funny since Pokémon Crystal was my favorite game and Hoenn is probably my favorite region. But usually when a new generation comes out, I spend little-to-no time with my older games. I can't even remember the last time I picked up my copy of White 2, let alone my Gen III games...

You said gen 1-3 was old, no mention of DPPT

DPPT are Gen IV, just like HGSS are Gen IV (despite being Gen II remakes, but it still works). The topic at hand is whether you're an old school (Gen I-III, meaning RBYGSCRuSaEFRLG) or a modern (Gen IV-VI, meaning DPPTHGSSBWB2W2XY) trainer. Remember, each time a new generation comes out, you get a new region (not counting those from spin off games like Colloseum or Conquest), a new set of gym leaders (not counting the fact that some third version games have different gym leaders in a couple gyms sometimes), a new set of starters, and a new professor whose last name is that of a tree species. And any remakes are always a part of the same gen as new games released before them since they use the same engine and the only new stuff introduced is a few things to differentiate the old games from their remakes.

DPPT are Gen IV, just like HGSS are Gen IV (despite being Gen II remakes, but it still works). The topic at hand is whether you're an old school (Gen I-III, meaning RBYGSCRuSaEFRLG) or a modern (Gen IV-VI, meaning DPPTHGSSBWB2W2XY) trainer. Remember, each time a new generation comes out, you get a new region (not counting those from spin off games like Colloseum or Conquest), a new set of gym leaders (not counting the fact that some third version games have different gym leaders in a couple gyms sometimes), a new set of starters, and a new professor whose last name is that of a tree species. And any remakes are always a part of the same gen as new games released before them since they use the same engine and the only new stuff introduced is a few things to differentiate the old games from their remakes.

I know.

The person said they considered gen 4 new then went on to say DPPT was old. I was saying that.

Please note: The thread is from 9 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom