• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

pearlshipping vs. pokeshipping

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll make this simple.

Pokeshipping has a plethora of romantic hints.

Pearlshipping has a plethora of friendship hints.

I support Pokeshipping.

'Nuff said.

Pearlshipping is cute. I'll give you that.

Hell, I like Dawn. I really do. I much fonder of her than May and, considering I'm a cheerleader myself, I'm a bit compelled to like her.

The problem with Pearlshipping is that it doesn't have any hints that are more than friendship. I high five my guy friends all the time. Guess what! I'm not romantically attracted to them in any way.

Saving someone doesn't count, either. Imagine if one of your friends was falling to their death. "Oh my gosh, Billy's going to die! I should save him! Oh, wait, I forgot. Nevermind, Billy, I'm not in love with you. You're on your own."

Uhh, no.

Last edited:
Pearlshipping is cute. I'll give you that.

Hell, I like Dawn. I really do. I much fonder of her than May and, considering I'm a cheerleader myself, I'm a bit compelled to like her.

The problem with Pearlshipping is that it doesn't have any hints that are more than friendship. I high five my guy friends all the time. Guess what! I'm not romantically attracted to them in any way.

Saving someone doesn't count, either. Imagine if one of your friends was falling to their death. "Oh my gosh, Billy's going to die! I should save him! Oh, wait, I forgot. Nevermind, Billy, I'm not in love with you. You're on your own."

Uhh, no.

YES. This is qft! Aside from I see Dawn and May equally...

But I will make my point. Believe it or not, I like Pearlshipping. Because it's cute. And I could argue that Pokéshipping
is more canon, but I'll point out that I am a multishipper who likes both Pearl and Pokéshipping.

...:XD: I think I know what Yoshi said "I did" now. Sorry, Jabberwocky.

Last edited:
I'm going to disagree with the fact that PokeShipping is canon. Misty left the show and I highly doubt she is coming back as a main character because she now has a gym to run.

Dawn seems to have more in common with Ash and it is very obvious that both of them care about each other in a more than friends way. Plus, The fact that Misty didn't really cheer for Ash proves that she doesn't really like him more than a friend. Lets face the fact that Ash and Misty have a brother and sister kind of relationship while Dawn and Ash have a more romantic kind of relationship so I'm going to have to side with PearlShipping.

it is very obvious that both of them care about each other in a more than friends way.
How?
Plus, The fact that Misty didn't really cheer for Ash proves that she doesn't really like him more than a friend.
I don't really see how that works...
I cheer for my besties all the time, when they playing sports or debating or whatever. I don't think cheering constitutes a romantic hint. Whereas if there was a guy I liked, I wouldn't cheer for him, because I'd be too embarassed/wouldn't want people to realise I fancied him.

And seeing as how Kasumi had a canon crush on Satoshi, I'd say that she liked him as more than just a friend ;-)

Well she didn't go all the way like putting on a cheerleading outfit like Dawn did and she never really put on a show for him either so it just doesn't seem as if she likes him more than a friend.

Dawn cares about the way Ash feels and if she didn't then she wouldn't have put on a show for Ash and his Pokemon to make him feel better. During the show, Ash and him Pokemon were enjoying themselves and I consider that a hint.

I do think that PokeShipping did have a good chance of happening in Kanto and Johto but now that those seasons are over and that Misty has left, PokeShipping isn't really canon anymore.

Well she didn't go all the way like putting on a cheerleading outfit like Dawn did and she never really put on a show for him either so it just doesn't seem as if she likes him more than a friend.
But she did. Pokeshipping is one sided canon. And anyway, I've already explained the reasons why I think going "all the way" isn't hugely realistic for someone who's crushing on that person to do.
Dawn cares about the way Ash feels and if she didn't then she wouldn't have put on a show for Ash and his Pokemon to make him feel better. During the show, Ash and him Pokemon were enjoying themselves and I consider that a hint.
You can count that as a hint, fine. But I don't see how trying to cheer up your friend who's in a lousy mood equates to romance.
I do think that PokeShipping did have a good chance of happening in Kanto and Johto but now that those seasons are over and that Misty has left, PokeShipping isn't really canon anymore.
Time isn't really an issue in canonicity. Having had a crush once is better than not having had a crush ever.

PokeShipping is not my main ship, but saying Misty sees Ash more as a brother seems a bit unrealistic. They blushed too often to make this likely and more things happened between them to make it seem that at least Misty has romantic feelings for Ash, when she isn't bickering with him of course... :rolleyes:

As for cheering someone up and caring how someone feels, it may seem stranger and stranger in a world where compassion seems more like a flaw than a virtue, but it is actually quite possible to do those things and not be in love with the person you do it for.

I am not saying the PearlShipping will never happen, but whether you see the hints for it as friendship or more romantic, is still mostly a matter of interpretation. For me the best hint is that Dawn is with Ash at the moment, so the chance for a shippy moment between them in the future is higher then with Misty, since she isn't with Ash at the moment.

Dawn cares about the way Ash feels
Um...so does Misty. She tried to cheer him up a few times if I can remember correctly. She also cried when Ash was supposedly dead in The Tower of Terror.

I think I mentioned once in the Pokeshipping thread that if Dawn's cheerleading counts as a hint for Pearlshipping then Team Rocket must also be in love with Ash. They went so far as to put aside their evil and cheer for Ash so he could win his battle against L.T Surge. Do you still count the cheerleading as a hint?

Also the Dawn cheering up Ash hint is not very strong. I would try to cheer up my teacher if he got fired *gasp* does that mean I love him? When I was 5 I put on a show to cheer my Mom up when she was sad. Do I love her a little too much o_O? No.

Misty not having a canon crush on Ash...I think not. Don't you think the handkerchief, the blushing, the denies, the fact that she decided to travel with Ash without having any real reason (and to make it even more cute used a dumb ol' bike as an excuse) are all things that point to Misty liking Ash? Even if this was all in the past do you really think that (for e.g) someone would stop loving their wife/husband just because they didn't see each other often? (I dont know maybe the wife/husband's job is far away or something).

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind on their preferred ship because I love Pearlshipping myself, but most of the hints are easily debunked (Then again I could be wrong. I'm just a kid so I dont know much about love myself xD;).

I get what you all are saying but I think that the fact that Misty left the show and is probably going to make a few episodes but never fully come back is the end of PokeShipping. We also don't know what the writers are going to do and which shipping they will chose so it's safe to say that both can happen but the chances of PearlShipping happening are probably higher than PokeShipping. Another fact is that Dawn is probably going to be on the show for a while because a lot of people like her. I mean, I like her and I also liked Misty. -Blushes- I will admit that I used to be a supporter of PokeShipping until Misty left the show so I support both shippings but I have to side with PearlShipping because of the fact that they look cute together and they have a better chance of happening because of the fact that Dawn is a main character.

I seriously don't get why the fact that Dawn is a main character instantly means Pearlshipping is more likely, and that Misty never coming back as a main character means Pokeshipping is dead. It doesn't matter who's currently on the show right now, Pokeshipping had actual hints which Pearlshipping doesn't, and just because Dawn's the main girl right now doesn't change anything.

The presence of Dawn doesn't affect the hints for PokeShipping in my opinion. What has happened between Ash and Misty, can't be undone by it. But it is hard to get new shipping hints with a girl Ash is not currently with, since there is no interaction. If they truly love each other, than of course it doesn't matter Misty and Ash are apart at the moment, but since it has not been fully confirmed that Ash will definitely end up with Misty and any other option is 100% impossible, the fact that Ash is with another girl at the moment, leaves a possibility for a shippy moment to occur between Ash and the current girl. It's all up to the writers naturally, but if they get a lot of high fives from fans that like Dawn, they may change plans and let Dawn get closer to Ash.

I'm going to disagree with the fact that PokeShipping is canon. Misty left the show and I highly doubt she is coming back as a main character because she now has a gym to run.

Pokeshipping isn't canon. Really, the only canon ships are Franticshipping and Balanceshipping.

So what if she left the show? Everyone knows she isn't coming back as a main character. It doesn't make a difference.

Dawn seems to have more in common with Ash and it is very obvious that both of them care about each other in a more than friends way.

Ever heard of opposites attract? That's basically what the writers were going with when they were hinting at Pokeshipping. So having a lot of things in common with Ash may as well be an anti-hint.

Plus, The fact that Misty didn't really cheer for Ash proves that she doesn't really like him more than a friend.

Are you kidding? Misty cheered waaaay more than Brock, May, and Max did when Ash was battling. Just because she didn't put on an outfit and rhyme while doing so doesn't make it any less romantic...because it isn't romantic in the first place.

Lets face the fact that Ash and Misty have a brother and sister kind of relationship while Dawn and Ash have a more romantic kind of relationship so I'm going to have to side with PearlShipping.

Do you have any siblings? Really? Last time I checked, your brother doesn't wink at you when you're wearing a skimpy outfit, and even if he does, you don't freak out about it...unless you're freaking out because your brother just hit on you.

I will make this short and simple:

I like both, as previously mentioned. I also realize that I said "could argue Pokéshipping is more canon, but..." and that could have brought you to the point I thought it was canon.

I personally believe that no shipping is canon at the moment. Sure, we might have one sided canon for pokéshipping because Misty/Kasumi is revealed to have a crush on Ash/Satoshi, but it isn't 100% canon.
Maybe you see pearlshipping as canon, but I see it as a cute pairing which could develop but has not done so yet.

Which is why I disagree with you on the point that Ash and Misty are more of a brother/sister pairing while Ash and Dawn/Hikari are more of a romantic relationship. In reality, both are neither. Ash and Misty have a romantic friendship, with Ash seeing her as a "best" friend and Misty seeing him as her crush. Ash and Dawn are, as of right now, good friends, and I can see where the brother/sister relationship vibe comes from for them.

I also know that a few pearlshippers see the "Dawn and Ash's relationship seems more like that of siblings than boyfriend/girlfriend" as a way to downgrade pearlshipping in futile defense of pokéshipping. This, at least in my case, is not true, because I am certainly not trying to downgrade pearlshipping. I like pearlshipping. Also, many people, including those who avoid Ash/Satoshi x main girl shippings altogether, get that feeling.

About your "Misty has left so poké is no longer canon" arguement. Leaving the show does not mean poké is no longer canon. It can, however, mean the creators are no longer interested in writing it, but I don't believe this is true. Why would Ash keep the Misty special lure for so long, why would the creators have her name come up again, and why did Ash make such a fuss when Dawn asked to use it?

And it's entirely possible that they took her off the show because they couldn't think of anymore ways to develop their relationship without Ash realizing. One time a fellow pokéshipper mentioned that having Ash realize Misty liked him halfway through the show, him liking her back, and them being a couple for a season would ruin pokéshipping. So maybe they'll "throw us a bone" (quoting from the same person) and have it happen in the last episode, which is the only way it could work out for any anime shipping. Why else would they bring Misty up again? (Then again, the GS ball never meant anything...) A fantasy? Yes, this is probably a fantasy, but nothing has been confirmed. Ever.

Now, I'll talk about your "hints". The cheerleading one comes first. You say Misty doesn't like Ash more than a friend because she did not "go all the way" with cheering for Ash. Misty did cheer on Ash, but she is simply not the kind of person to put on a cheerleading outfit on. She's a tomboy, so it doesn't fit in her personality. Next, "put on a show for Ash to make him feel better". Ok, Misty didn't put on a show for him. I'll give you that. But seriously, who wouldn't try to cheer up a friend who's depressed? Ok, now we have "Ash enjoyed it so that's a hint". I will put it plain and simple: You would enjoy it if a friend put on a show for you, regardless of who they are. Heck, as long as it's a good show, you'll enjoy it, no matter who puts it on. Last is your "Dawn cares about him" hint. Well, duh. Friends care for each other. Misty did, too.

In conclusion:

Pearlshipping is a cute friendship which could develop into romance but has not yet done so.

Pokéshipping is indeed a few steps ahead of Pearlshipping, with Misty crushing on Ash, but is no more likely than pearlshipping because Ash has not noticed anything yet.

Ok, let's give Aspen some breathing room. We want to hear what you have to say.

Sorry for the long post. But that's the most simple I can explain everything, you know? ;-)

Last edited:
Well first off I agree with Quest completely ^^

Another fact is that Dawn is probably going to be on the show for a while because a lot of people like her.
People liked Misty. She left. People liked May. She left. See a pattern here? The writers dont seem to care who the fans like. Dawn is just advertisement for this gen and when this gen is over they wont need her anymore :(

PearlShipping because of the fact that they look cute together and they have a better chance of happening because of the fact that Dawn is a main character.
What happens if Dawn leaves? She cant be the main girl forever. Will you just quit Pearlshipping because she isn't a main character anymore? What if Ash and Dawn hated each other, would Pearlshippng still be more likely just because Dawn is a main character? The good thing about Pokeshipping is that despite the fact that Misty isn't around anymore Pokeshippers can rely on the many hints from before to power their beliefs.

Do you have any siblings? Really? Last time I checked, your brother doesn't wink at you when you're wearing a skimpy outfit, and even if he does, you don't freak out about it...unless you're freaking out because your brother just hit on you.
ROFL

I'll be taking neutral sides for now.

PokéShipping has been shown to be one-sided: Misty is infatuated with Ash. Ash treats Misty like his best friend. No more, no less.

Now, Ashy-boy may have blushed quite a few times, but that doesn't mean he's in love. It's happened to me when accused of being a couple with a ladyfriend of mine, but... no.

And as we all know, childhood infatuations, or crushes, are temporary. These last from days to weeks and even months. Unfortunately, Misty (remember she is only twelve) does not know true love, and Ash is either

1) Too stupid
2) Has yet to begin puberty
3) Gay
4) Not interested in girls
6) All of the above (jk)

Answer? 5.

That said, I move on to PearlShipping.

Dawn has been shown to be extremely close friends with Ash, perhaps even more so than both Brock, Misty, and May.

She has given him high-fives, cheered for him, helped him train (for the most part, unlike the other girls, I should say), and synchronized perfectly with Ash.

And vice-versa.

Conclusion: As we have seen, Misty obviously has (or had) a huge crush on Ash. Unfortunately, it was never shown whether or not she got over it.
Remember that crush != love.

However, also remember that saving each other, high-fives, cheering, and whatnot also != love.

Basically, PokéShipping is short term, while PearlShippng is long-term.
Why? It is very common for best friends to fall for his/her best friend (myself included). Now, you may see this as cliché, but no. It is very common.

Final thought: While I am a PokéShipper to a limited degree, I must disagree that Misty is truly in love with Ash, and that Dawn does have a higher chance of actually falling for Ash and vice-versa at some point.

In the long term, PearlShipping wins.

If you reply, please quote this and comment in bold within the quotes. It's easier to see your rebuttals that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom