• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

PokeAni Missed Opportunities

Well, the key would be not letting her arc pique so soon. Make the Shalour City storyline be the new beginning in Korrina's character development and certainly not the last. There, it could be when she gets the Key Stone and attempts Mega Evolution.

Of course, who says that the Gyms have to be followed in order? She could saved for a rematch after seven badges like her Gym battle with Ash goes haywire with Lucario going berserk.

They kind of have to have the Gym battles in order. That has been the case since at least Johto, so I don't think that they do something like that now. They normally only delay a Gym battle for Ash if it's like that in the game, just like he didn't challenge Clemont's Gym once they fixed Clembot because his badge is the fifth one.

matt0044 said:
Who said anything about Serena being antagonistic? Maybe a character like Sawyer. They don't always need to be like Paul, cool as he was.

I thought that you asked why they wouldn't make a playable character antagonistic in the show when that happens in the game, even though it doesn't. Making them a friendly rival would be more fitting, but I'm not too surprised that they haven't done that for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

They kind of have to have the Gym battles in order. That has been the case since at least Johto, so I don't think that they do something like that now. They normally only delay a Gym battle for Ash if it's like that in the game, just like he didn't challenge Clemont's Gym once they fixed Clembot because his badge is the fifth one.

What, so there are just some unspoken rules of what they can and can't alter?

What, so there are just some unspoken rules of what they can and can't alter?

I'm not sure if it's an unspoken rule per say, but I always assumed that they couldn't just alter the order of Gyms. The show exists to promote the game, so they'd want Ash to challenge the same Gyms in the order that people playing the games would. Granted, the anime does its own thing when it comes to adaptations of the storyline and all, but this has been pretty consistent throughout its run. It also makes sense given that Ash usually starts his journeys in one of the first few towns of a region and move his way around to get to the same Gyms people playing the game would going in the same direction.

I'm not sure if it's an unspoken rule per say, but I always assumed that they couldn't just alter the order of Gyms.
You mean just like how Roxie was Ash's final gym challenge "just like in the games."

You mean just like how Roxie was Ash's final gym challenge "just like in the games."

I did forget that, but in my defense, that was a clear exception rather than the norm. They did that because didn't want Ash to fight against either Iris or Drayden as a Gym Leader, which was for the best in my opinion, and they wanted to promote B2/W2. And it was something thrown in at the last minute given that Ash's Gym badge case did originally have a place for the eighth badge. I think that B2/W2 came out the week or so that episode aired in Japan, which is why they went with Roxie instead of the other new Gym Leader so that kids could see someone that they could battle against early in the game. So they still don't really change the Gym order all that much.

They did that because didn't want Ash to fight against either Iris or Drayden as a Gym Leader,
Honestly, they should've be allowed to end Season 1 on Iris's arc and Ash getting the Legend Badge in Opeclucid before heading into Season Two the very day the new games come out. Shelve some of the filler episodes for later and what not.

I did forget that, but in my defense, that was a clear exception rather than the norm. They did that because didn't want Ash to fight against either Iris or Drayden as a Gym Leader, which was for the best in my opinion, and they wanted to promote B2/W2. And it was something thrown in at the last minute given that Ash's Gym badge case did originally have a place for the eighth badge. I think that B2/W2 came out the week or so that episode aired in Japan, which is why they went with Roxie instead of the other new Gym Leader so that kids could see someone that they could battle against early in the game. So they still don't really change the Gym order all that much.

Or maybe it shows the anime can alter the game mechanics when they can.
Ash could have still fought the mayor like people do in BW2.

It still seems more like executive meddling than simply the anime can choose to alter the Gym format when they want to do so to me.

How much control does the anime have over itself?
Does TPC just dictate everything to them?

I bet executive meddling is responsible for half the problems the anime has...

I bet executive meddling is responsible for half the problems the anime has...
The other half seems to be a lack of imagination in how to adapt the source material. Like Team Aqua vs. Magma could've been a lot more coherent if we saw more of the events leading up to it at least.

Is it bad that I have nostalgia for The Scuffle of Legends because I happened to see it on Cartoon Network a few years after it aired? Pikachu getting the red tron lines, of all things, is one of the Advanced moments I remember the most from my childhood.

I remember enjoying the Team Magma and Aqua climax when it because it was more intense and I liked seeing Lance again. Even at the time, I was confused at how both teams suddenly got the orbs and Legendary Pokemon. That seemed like it should have been built up to, especially how they found the Legendary Pokemon, but I still liked it in spite of the flaws and being a lackluster conclusion to the whole subplot, which admittedly was kind of more fitting given how Team Magma and Team Aqua were handled throughout the Hoenn journey.

I remember enjoying the Team Magma and Aqua climax when it because it was more intense and I liked seeing Lance again. Even at the time, I was confused at how both teams suddenly got the orbs and Legendary Pokemon. That seemed like it should have been built up to, especially how they found the Legendary Pokemon, but I still liked it in spite of the flaws and being a lackluster conclusion to the whole subplot, which admittedly was kind of more fitting given how Team Magma and Team Aqua were handled throughout the Hoenn journey.

They came out of thin air, like Trollbias and his Legendaries.

While a lot can be said about TPCi's English Dub, one thing that seems to be lackluster overall is a lot of the dialogue. Particularly in how it seems to go from too liberal to too literal with very little in between. 4kids might've screwed the pooch with a lot of their other properties but with Pokemon, they had good script adapters in addition to good translators. They didn't need Team Rocket to speak like rejected Dr. Suess characters so much as have some witty, if corny, banter.

(Let's keep the voice casting out of this, please).

The other half seems to be a lack of imagination in how to adapt the source material. Like Team Aqua vs. Magma could've been a lot more coherent if we saw more of the events leading up to it at least.

I would attribute it the fact that Team Aqua and Magma were not used to their full potential in the original games. They were just there saying expand the sea or land, and that's pretty much it. Nothing really philosophical until the remakes. Adventures did make them more engaging... although they seemed to have gone for the they're both completely insane and unsympathetic approach rather than making them morally grey characters.

I would attribute it the fact that Team Aqua and Magma were not used to their full potential in the original games. They were just there saying expand the sea or land, and that's pretty much it. Nothing really philosophical until the remakes. Adventures did make them more engaging... although they seemed to have gone for the they're both completely insane and unsympathetic approach rather than making them morally grey characters.
Maybe not but that's hardly an excuse for the Anime dropping the ball with their own storyline. Hell, they've never been one to be all poetic and deep. A Mt. Pyre story still could've been cool. They didn't even need it to be a graveyard so much as a mystical place where the orbs were secretly protected.

Just to be clear, the insane part mostly came as a result of the orbs messing up their minds big time similar to the Anime.

Brock secretly entering the Pokemon league and battling Ash with an alter ego. It would be such an asspull for him to be getting badges secretly but it would be so fucking hype.

Not having Contests in XY.
Showcases were a watered-down sexist version.

Even if we assume they learned about ORAS on the same day the public did, they had enough time to incorporate them.

Serena ended up going to Hoenn to participate in the Contests there anyways.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom