• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

PokeAni Missed Opportunities

Showcases were a watered-down sexist version.
Hell, it's weird because a lot of events and quests in Pokemon overall were never gender exclusive. Gyms weren't just for boys and contests weren't just for girls. What made Showcases any different? They could've at least made something out of it like Kalos maybe being uptight about gender roles more than other regions.

-Porygon redemption
-The return of Contests instead of those damn Tripokalons...
-Clemont character development
-BONNIE character development
-EVERYONE IN BLACK AND WHITE character development
-An actual use for Charizard besides fanservice in Black and White
-Something interesting about Team Plasma
-Making Iris the Champion by XYZ so she could go fight with Diantha and Steven in the Team Flare crisis
-More callbacks to the movies
-Good movies

I have a much longer list but I'd rather not waste your time.

-Porygon redemption
-The return of Contests instead of those damn Tripokalons...
-Clemont character development
-BONNIE character development
-EVERYONE IN BLACK AND WHITE character development
-An actual use for Charizard besides fanservice in Black and White
-Something interesting about Team Plasma
-Making Iris the Champion by XYZ so she could go fight with Diantha and Steven in the Team Flare crisis
-More callbacks to the movies
-Good movies

I have a much longer list but I'd rather not waste your time.

No one would have liked Champion Iris especially when Ash is barred from the Championship.

No one would have liked Champion Iris especially when Ash is barred from the Championship.
Eh, I guess, but it would have proved that at least SOME people are getting somewhere in their lives with this show, instead of just May that one time.

Ed Goldfarb is a fine composer in my opinion but who ever does the scoring for his pieces sure doesn't know jack about making sure the emotional scenes are given the appropriate mix of silence and music. I've seen other English dubs that give the soundtrack an overhaul and do it right like LBX: Little Battlers Experience and Digimon Tamers/Frontier.

If Pokemon must replace the music, the least they could do is do it better.

I'm actually cool with Movie 20 being a reimagining of Ash's first journey with foreign Pokemon included to show how the 151 Pokemon limit no longer applies. What I don't get is how Soji and Makoto fit into this unlike with Misty and Brock? Is the story they're trying to tell really in requirement of new characters from the ground up?

I'd prefer to have this discussion be civil... but I doubt it.

I'm actually cool with Movie 20 being a reimagining of Ash's first journey with foreign Pokemon included to show how the 151 Pokemon limit no longer applies. What I don't get is how Soji and Makoto fit into this unlike with Misty and Brock? Is the story they're trying to tell really in requirement of new characters from the ground up?

Game promotion or lack of care.

The movie haven't been out into theaters yet, so it's too early to call it a missed opportunity.

Honestly, the discussions on the recent trailer have been pretty civil here all things considered. There are still a lot of disappointed fans and I can understand that, but compared to other sites, the reactions here have been practically tame.

As for Soji and Makoto, it's possible that they fit into the storyline about Ho Oh more so than Misty and Brock could. It's hard to say for sure about that when the movie hasn't come out yet though. I also think it's a bit early to call it a wasted opportunity for the same reason. I can understand people thinking that as the initial reaction over the news, but I'd still wait until seeing the movie before going that far.

Game promotion or lack of care.
Promotion for what game? Misty could have a Piplup too.

As for Soji and Makoto, it's possible that they fit into the storyline about Ho Oh more so than Misty and Brock could. It's hard to say for sure about that when the movie hasn't come out yet though. I also think it's a bit early to call it a wasted opportunity for the same reason. I can understand people thinking that as the initial reaction over the news, but I'd still wait until seeing the movie before going that far.

That is true. It's clearly going for a total reinvention of Ash's first journey rather than a retelling of, like, the first four episodes like with Thomas & Friends: The Adventure Begins (yes, I watch it even now).

Promotion for what game? Misty could have a Piplup too.

Some people think that the characters could be the new playable characters for eventual D/P remakes, but I don't see that being too likely. Their designs, while certainly not bad, just scream one shot characters to me, so I can't see them taking over Lucas and Dawn's roles as playable characters in the games. It seems more like a panic over a worse case scenario rather than something that is likely to happen.

matt0044 said:
That is true. It's clearly going for a total reinvention of Ash's first journey rather than a retelling of, like, the first four episodes like with Thomas & Friends: The Adventure Begins (yes, I watch it even now).

I'm actually kind of glad about that. A retelling could have still been interesting, but I've been wanting something new about the movie beyond original series nostalgia for what feels like ages. Despite the controversy over this decision, it did give something new about it. Plus, going for a complete alternate universe take on the original series sounds pretty cool, although I realize that they still could have done that with Misty and Brock in the main cast.

Some people think that the characters could be the new playable characters for eventual D/P remakes, but I don't see that being too likely. Their designs, while certainly not bad, just scream one shot characters to me, so I can't see them taking over Lucas and Dawn's roles as playable characters in the games. It seems more like a panic over a worse case scenario rather than something that is likely to happen.

I'm actually kind of glad about that. A retelling could have still been interesting, but I've been wanting something new about the movie beyond original series nostalgia for what feels like ages. Despite the controversy over this decision, it did give something new about it. Plus, going for a complete alternate universe take on the original series sounds pretty cool, although I realize that they still could have done that with Misty and Brock in the main cast.

Or as new characters for eventual Kanto sequels.

Or as new characters for eventual Kanto sequels.

That would make more sense than replacing Lucas and Dawn, but I don't know if I can see that happening either. It would provide some marketing reason behind their inclusion in the movie, but I don't know if the next games we'll get would be Kanto sequels either.

Game promotion is the only somewhat acceptable explanation, assuming that Brock and Misty will actually be shown as adult gym leaders.

There is no reason to think that either Makoto or Soji was created with Ho-Oh in mind. They aren't being presented that away.

I'd prefer to see this thread NOT become a PREVIEW: M20 2.0
Fair enough.

However, I will say that Movie 20 has something to it that has been absent from Pokemon movies for sometime: Ash as the central protagonist of the plot. Movies more after AG would often feel like the main plot of the movie could've worked well whether the twerps were there or not as audience surrogates. Journey of The Unknown and Jirachi Wishmaker come to mind.

I think that there's a chance the staff is setting up a new movie canon with a more stable cast and more creative freedom than they have in the main anime or in a generic promotion movie. If that's not the case behind these new characters and new AU, then I can call this a missed opportunity.

I think that there's a chance the staff is setting up a new movie canon with a more stable cast and more creative freedom than they have in the main anime or in a generic promotion movie. If that's not the case behind these new characters and new AU, then I can call this a missed opportunity.
Though a trilogy of that would mean the main SM Anime will have to showcase their legendaries in the actual story...

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom