• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Black and White volume 3 review thread

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
I got it, did you?

So in this volume we cover Black vs N part 2 and Black, Cheren, and Bianca vs the Striaton Gym Leaders Chili, Cilan, and Cress parts 1 and 2.

Both battles were pretty enjoyable, especially the Gym battle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like Viz still doesn't know how Xtransceiver should be pronounced.

I also kind of WTF'ed at the character bios at the beginning. "Black's Tepig, TEP, and White's Tepig, GIGI, get along like peanut butter and jelly!" Um...what?

I also kind of WTF'ed at the character bios at the beginning. "Black's Tepig, TEP, and White's Tepig, GIGI, get along like peanut butter and jelly!" Um...what?

It means that they're in love, duh!

Yeah, but couldn't they have chosen a way to phrase it that didn't sound so terrible?

It's a kids Manga so I'm not exactly expecting any Shakespeare material. It's cheesy but it's for kids and kinda "So Bad, It's Good" funny so I'll let it slide.

Though I guess they could've choose a different way of phrasing it, I'd rather not put too much thought into an insignificant part of the Manga. I mean, we know who the human and Pokemon are, right?

Peanut Butter and Je-how did I miss that?

Viz, could you make your similes less...stupid?

Again, this is a Manga for kids with a teen following. Though Viz is fairly good in writing dialogue and stuff, I guess they figure that they can get away with some cheesy humor here and there for the kids. Not to mention that it IS Pokemon. I can deal with it as it's not stupid so much as just, well, cheesy.

On another note,

sploosh.png

This is a manga for kids!!

Picked this up at my bookstore along with the first two volumes. I liked it. Not a fan of the cover illustration though.

Oh and that picture is definitely disturbing now that it has been highlighted..

On another note,

sploosh.png

What? You never heard of an innuendo? Kids won't get it but us older fans most definately will. Even 4kids' dub of the Pokemon Anime had them.

Again, since when was PokeSpe specifically meant for us older fans.

Yeah, but couldn't they have chosen a way to phrase it that didn't sound so terrible?
No, because all kids love peanut butter and jelly, and that's the only way their fragile, unreading minds can comprehend such an emotion like 'love'.

...I guess *shrugs*
On another note,

sploosh.png

Okay, can't hold it any more xD

Um, calm down. It was a joke.

I know, I know. Sorry, if I was a bother or something like that.

BTW, I love how Bianca's Oshawott got beat up by an Audino so easily. As if Kusaka knows how Audinos are basically walking rare candies and Bianca's so bad that she can't beat a single one.

So I was re-reading the Gym Battle chapters yesterday and kept wondering something. If the problem Black and the others were facing is that the Gym Leader's pokemon were arranged in a way that prevented their pokemon from attacking the ones they were strong against, couldn't they have just...moved? I mean, yeah, in the games you're restricted to fighting in two neat little lines that face each other, but those same restrictions shouldn't apply here.

Finally had some spare money in my bank account, so I've just placed my order for this volume.

So I was re-reading the Gym Battle chapters yesterday and kept wondering something. If the problem Black and the others were facing is that the Gym Leader's pokemon were arranged in a way that prevented their pokemon from attacking the ones they were strong against, couldn't they have just...moved? I mean, yeah, in the games you're restricted to fighting in two neat little lines that face each other, but those same restrictions shouldn't apply here.
Logic...in Pokémon?! Now that's just silly =3.

I just checked again and...

Chili: There are many types of Gyms. Ours is dedicated to teaching our challengers about Pokemon types! That's our Gym's Raison D'etre!
Cilan: Oh, one more thing...You're not allowed to switch places during this battle.
Chili: You got a problem with that...?!

So it was explained.

I guess they weren't allowed to switch because of the fact that whichever Leader you fight in the games always has the Monkey that is super effective to your starter.

I just checked again and...

Chili: There are many types of Gyms. Ours is dedicated to teaching our challengers about Pokemon types! That's our Gym's Raison D'etre!
Cilan: Oh, one more thing...You're not allowed to switch places during this battle.
Chili: You got a problem with that...?!

So it was explained.

I guess they weren't allowed to switch because of the fact that whichever Leader you fight in the games always has the Monkey that is super effective to your starter.

Wait, that doesn't make sense. Surely the best way to teach them about types, is to let them switch, because eventually they'll realise that one of the gym leader's Pokémon is weak to theirs?

Wait, that doesn't make sense. Surely the best way to teach them about types, is to let them switch, because eventually they'll realise that one of the gym leader's Pokémon is weak to theirs?

Yes, but in the games, the Leader you fight always has the monkey that is strong to your starter. Since this won't work in a Triple battle, they made this rule to make it similar to that...I'm guessing...

Still doesn't make sense. "We'll form one neat little line over here, and you form one neat little line over there. None of us are allowed to budge from our spots during the course of the battle." You don't think that seems unnecessarily restrictive and unrealistic?

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom