• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Horizons General Discussion/Speculation Thread

Hm. I'll try to watch the new series I suppose but there is a non zero chance I end up not getting interested due to the lack of ash.

I mean, unless I'm out of date, we don't know if this anime will be a "total reboot" of the franchise or not. That is, if they will somehow took advantage of other characters, including Ash, and the story of the anime so far.

Personally, I'm a little intrigued by how they'll approach this transition. But, as I already indicated, my main interest is with the conclusion of this journey of more than 25 years that I have been following.

Last edited:
It's a good thing the anime is for children and not adult western fans
Exactly, the anime is mainly for kids. Yeah it's sad 25 year end of a journey for us. But a kid born in 2013? They've had Ash for what 4-5 years? The anime has been running too long for kids today to even get the weight of him beating Leon or hell Cynthia. They probably saw Shigeru and said "Who's that?"

Well I guess this explains why they didn't have any news for the future of the anime for the longest time. I'm still shocked that they're actually going this route. Even after everything that happened with Ash vs. Leon, I still thought that brand new leads were the least likely option. I thought it would be more likely that they'd just do a complete reboot to keep Ash around. This does make me wonder if they'll keep Ash for the reboot movies whenever we do get a new movie. I just assumed that they would figure out a way for Ash to go to Paldea, especially when they had Team Rocket going there to showcase the Paldea starters in those shorts. I didn't think it would be that difficult or impossible for them to pull that off.

I think it's possible they mantain Ash for movies. That way Ash fans will feel forced to buy a ticket.

I mean, one problem of the Pokemon movies was that people has little incentive to see these. If these movies are the only way you can see Ash, that would be a big incentive.

Last edited:
I think it's possible they mantain Ash for movies. That way Ash fans will feel forced to buy a ticket.

I mean, one problem of the movies was that people has little incentive to see these. If movies are the only you can see Ash, that would be a big incentive.

It is a quite interesting idea and a smart thinking, since Ash from the movies is, for some time, a parallel version of the anime. In the end, we just have to wait and see.

Last edited:
To me this is the end of an era, and I can finally find closure. I’ve been watching Pokémon since I was 8yr old. Ash and Pikachu departing from the show means that I will be also be stopping

I mean, one problem of the Pokemon movies was that people has little incentive to see these. If these movies are the only way you can see Ash, that would be a big incentive.
That would be a pretty smart way to attract more attention for the movies. The last few movies have been in their own continuity, but whether it's in the main continuity or the movie continuity, having a chance to see Ash in new adventures would be a big selling point for a lot of fans.

Curious on if they are going to skip to this point (while still doing regular episodes in the meantime) for the dub or if dub watchers are still ages away from getting to see this series

This news kind of makes me think more as to how I felt about the I Choose You movie. One of the reasons I love that movie is because it felt like a celebration of Ash and Pikachu, who are the heart of the anime in my opinion. Both of them, along with Team Rocket, have been the main consistent elements of the anime and the story has been about Ash and Pikachu's adventures from day one. While I am glad that we are still getting more Pokemon anime of course, replacing Ash and Pikachu after all this time just feels extra sad with that in mind for me. I'm not sure how well the anime will work without them.

I'm nowhere near as surprised as a lot of people here seem to be, honestly. If they were still planning to keep Ash forever I'm not sure there'd have been any reason to promote Leon from Galar champion to the world champion.

I swear, this fandom is utterly reactionary when it comes to change.
Were you around too when the second special split was announced for Gen 4 and quite a few people assumed GameFreak put zero thought into it and it would screw over half the types by doing things like making Earthquake special and barely adding new moves to balance the new system?
Good times, good times.

This idea has occured to me before when discussion about Ash retiring came up but I don't think I ever posted it.

Last edited:
If this gets a dub, I hope that will be a fresh start as well. No more replacing music and all that.

Yes, it is going to be weird not seeing Ash in the lead role anymore...

But I still stand by the promise I made before--no matter what happened to Ash in the real show, he will always be the hero of Pokemon to me. So he will stay in my work.

As for the new characters, I'm going to wait and see what their names are and what they are like before my core group expands to a Sensational Seven or Elite Eight.

OK but knowing now that Ash’s story is coming to an end, and that Journeys is the final full series he’d be featured in, leaves an even more bitter taste in my mouth. I know the last 3rd of Journeys is praised by fans, but seeing how Ash was treated this season was just disappointing. You’d think with one final go being pushed for an MC of 25 years, they’d focus more on his past relationships, friends, challenges, and (maybe most importantly) reserves. Cameos wouldn’t just be a one off thing. Challengers wouldn’t be COTD. Past storylines would receive closure. I kind of doubt that Ash leaving was the plan when Journeys first entered production because I can’t imagine OLM thought this was the best way to handle his final saga.

Here’s to hoping that the last 11 episodes are strong, solid pieces of closure and that the new anime is worth the reset. Please, please, please do not shaft Paldea or the latest games.

Last edited:
I heard Scarlet and Violet has a great story (too bad it was also a buggy mess at launch), so there might be something to build upon for this anime.

Just want to point out the new girls hair clip is (nearly) the same shape as the logo on ash's of hat. Which is a neat detail that I dont think means anything beyond being a neat detail and likely confirming she is the main protagonist while the guy is the secondary protag.
Yeah, I’m seeing so many people claim that she’s Ash’s daughter - is it just speculation or was there some other source to suggest this?

Honestly, I’m cautiously optimistic. A blank slate protagonist with hopefully a different personality opens up a whole new world of possibilities that definitely makes me curious about it. While there’s been a trend of replacing legacy male MCs with female Mary Sues, I have hope that the colorful SV cast can balance out shortcomings.

Sad that the girl seems to be getting the most predictable and controversial starter as a mascot though. Oh well, can’t win them all

Looking forward to it. After 25 year of Ash with New protagonist. Going to see who is going to be the Seiyuu of Geeta.

Back
Top Bottom