• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon mouths

What exactly is the deal with Pokemon mouths? Aside from a very small minority (Blaziken and Medicham are the only ones coming to mind), all non-Psychic and Electric special attacks seem to come out of the mouths. Do all Pokemon have built in flame-throwing, ice and water producing organs in their throats? What up with that?

I don't think it's that hard to understand. Several creatures in fiction, dating way back to ancient mythologies, used their mouth to expel fire breath, and even freeze breath or pure energy in some cases. With that in mind, it's very easy to picture a majority of Pokemon doing the same.

And there're way more Pokemon than Bashamo and Chalem. For that matter, I think it's more the attack itself than the Pokemon which determines whether it's expelled through the mouth or not. For instance, I think an attack like Aura Sphere or Focus Blast would obviously be channeled from the hands in the case of any Pokemon that has arms (should it be a quadruped, then they'd have to use the mouth). Psychic attacks are usually channeled from the mind, and electricity usually seems to result from the Pokemon generating it throughout the outer surface of their body or whatever, so of course they'd be exceptions to the mouth rule.

Also it would be apparent that some pokemon have no other choice than to use their mouths -with the exception of physical attacks in which the pokemon uses it's body mass (assisted by extra power or otherwise) to directly and physically attack it's opponent-such as Glalie, which only has one outlet which is it's mouth, unless it is able to fire energy from between it's horns (which it may be able to do in the anime, I don't know because I don't get to watch it)

And whilst I agree with Yamato-san on some levels I have to point out a few things, namely; Whilst psychic types clearly do use their minds to create the energies they use to attack how hey actually channel them varies, for instance: Whilst Gardevoir or Ralts may channel the energy directly from their mind to their opponent, others use other ways such as Mr. Mime's bodily movements to help them channel or strengthen their attacks, possibly due to them having less ability in controlling or creating their powers, so they must channel it differently to prevent them damaging themselves or things other than the target. Secondly whilst for the most part I am in agreeance with Yamato-san's theory on the attack's shape, expulsion method being defined by the attack as opposed to the pokemon, there may be some exceptions, take for instance Camerupt. If it were told to use Ember it may well prefer to use the volcanoe structures on it's back as opposed to it's mouth. It may also use it's mouth, but this is an examle where a pokemon may have the choice of multiple expulsion point's and is therefore given the opportunity to choose it's preference. Thirdly moves such as, as you said, Aura Sphere, when used by quadrupeds (or even those with less limbs e.g. Exeggcute) are not necessarily expelled through the mouth, the pokemon may create the Aura Sphere around it. and then "throw" it in the selected direction. Although as you say the mouth is still a possibilitie and all pokemon with arms would most likely use them, but may still use the other two ways or perhaps another completely different method.

And with that done I'd like to, while I'm here, expand upon my primary theories: Firstly I thought of another Grass type move that may use the mouth; Bullet Seed. This I believe to be formed by the pokemon having seeds inside it -there are a number of things that could create this, the most unpleasant of which being the recycling of waste products. Others include organs that produce the seeds as a plant does which means that the pokemon has some way of pollinating itself, unless it is one by Combees but this is not likely as there are no combees in Kanto or Hoenn, etc and the grass types there get on with it just fine and Pokemn stored in a pokeball can do it as well when the Combees have no way to reach them. Anyway once the seed is created it is charged with energy and then regurgitated with collossal speed and force, making Bullet Seed. This also contributes to my second theory on fire types which was that they have the fire inide them and then expel it through their mouths. This is quite simply regurgitation. My next expansion is on the possibility of the power required for attacks moving to the area it is needed via the bloodstream. Whilst not plausible for every kind of attack, take for instance water, where no energy is required only the water itself. It is likely for many other attacks e.g. Solar Beam; the energy is absorbed into the bulb, flower, etc... and them is transfered to the bloodstream as oxygen would when we respire it then travels along on the blood to the "point of call" where it is deposited and used as needed.

Once again I am sorry if this is excessive.

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom