• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon, so Chinese infleunced?

Reaction score
Why is Pokémon so Chinese influenced and not Japanese?

1.Arcanine - it's pokédex entry says it is an ancient legendary "Chinese" pokémon.
2.,3.Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan named after Chinese martial artists Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan, but none named after any Japanese martial artists.

Rayquaza after the Chinese dragon? There is a Korean dragon. And Ho-oh after the Chinese phoenix?

And Arceus based after the Chinese qilin?

And there was a lot of suspicicion that Infernape was based after the Chinese Sun Wukong monkey from Journey to the West.

Gyarados after another Chinese dragon..

There's probably a lot more, feel free to submit any world culture.

The only things that are based on other culture is the 3 Jewish mythology creatures, the Japanese Spiritomb 108 factor, Ninetales after Japanese creature, and Golduck after a Japanese Kappa creature.

-

By the way, does anyone think Satoshi Tajiri is a millionaire? For some reason I don't suspect he became nearly as rich as J. K. Rowling.

I'm a bit disappointed we know almost nothing about him (at least, for 2008 and 2007). Does anyone suspect he is a millionare by now? Or does Nintendo and Game Freak suck up all the money?

I heard that after G/S/C came out, he had 1,035 pokémon (which was pretty emphasized in the TPM forums around 2001).

Last edited:
You're right, 50%.

From Bulbapedia.

Lombre's appearance is similar to the Japanese mythological creature known as the Kappa. Unlike Golduck, this Pokémon is more like the kappa as it has the same dish on its head filled with water that is the source of its power, just as this Pokémon uses Rain Dish to replenish itself. It also has facial features similar to the kappa, such as a turtle-like beak.

People from Japan are in truth descendants from China. They moved away from China and created their own society many century ago.

In turn, much of Japanese past culture is also Chinese culture.

True. Their Japanese names are Sawamular and Ebiwalar. Though you do make a good point - that most Pokemon are Chinese, not Japanese-based.

Well Japanese and Chinese mythologies are related to a certain extent so certain overlaps are to be expected, furthermore pokémon isn't limited to Japanese culture and mythology. The three legendary golems for example are, to my knowledge, based on Jewish myth.

The only things that are based on other culture is the 3 Jewish mythology creatures, the Japanese Spiritomb 108 factor, Ninetales after Japanese creature, and Golduck after a Japanese Kappa creature.

Golduck's nothing like a kappa other than being bipedal and having a beak.

Anyway, how about things like Xatu (North American totem pole), Charizard/Salamence (European dragons), Lapras (Nessie), Delibird (possibly Santa), Houndoom (hellhound), Nosepass (moai), Meditite/Medicham (yogi), Honchkrow (mob boss), or Lucario (possibly Anubis, although it may be just a jackal)?

The Weather Trio is also based on Jewish mythology - the ziz (Rayquasa), the behemoth (Groundon), and the leviathan (Kyogre).

The Golem Trio, along with the Golem Master (Regigigas) is based on Hebrew golems.

I thought the Chinese phoenix was the Fenghuang (spelling?) or something and the Japanese basically had made their own legend based off that.

You also can't say that Rayquaza is all that Chinese either. If I recall, the Japanese version of the traditional Oriental Dragons had three toes while the Chinese had four (or is it the other way around?

A lot of Japanese legend is just a variation of legends from China.

So basically, I agree with post #7 and #5.

Also, Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee are only named after Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee as an american pop culture reference and are named based off of other famous martial artists in the original
The Weather Trio is also based on Jewish mythology - the ziz (Rayquasa), the behemoth (Groundon), and the leviathan (Kyogre).

The Golem Trio, along with the Golem Master (Regigigas) is based on Hebrew golems.

Rayquaza is nothing like the Ziz, which is supposedly a mythological bird whose wingspan is large enough to block out the sun. Its just a bunch of fans trying to put pieces that don't fit. If anything, Lugia is a Ziz, in Ecruteak city, an old man claims to have seen a silvery bird whose wings blocked out the sun heading to the Whirl Islands.

Seriously, I see this kind of randomness everywhere. Apparantly because Arceus is the "Creation" Pokemon, he is based off of the Christian God. The legendary pixies are also embodiments of the three powers that that God is said to hold omnipotence (Azelf), Omnipresense (Mesprit) and Omnimiscence (Uxie). Basically, fitting things that are not there. Other than Uxie, who is mentioned to be all knowing, none of the pixies are even mentioned to have such powers.

Oh, yeah and the whole Golduck = Kappa thing

If anyone is wondering where I got that from, its one of the many Bulbapedia pages created about legendary trios. Seriously, how much do we need? It just seems like a random insert by a fan who couldn't find the actual page for it.

Last edited:
In addition to Ludicolo being directly based on the Kappa, Shiftry is most definitely a Tengu while Ninetails is a Kitsune.

Dunsparce is based on a Tsuchiko, Hypno is a Baku while Tyrainitar bares more then a passing resembleance to Godzilla.

Not only that, but Claydol and Bronzong are based off ancient Japanese artifacts (Dogu figurine and a bronze bell respectively.)

So there are many Pokémon that are based on Japanese creatures.

Cammerupt is similar to the Bactrian camel- which is found in China, Pakistan, Mongolia, Tajikistan and Kazakhstan

Jynx- possibly based on Yuki-onna or Yamma Uba. Possibly based on Zwarte Piet, the Dutch version of Santa's Helpers

Absol's head is modeled after a Taijitu ("yin-yang") which is Chinese. I saw many pokemon like Snorunt line and Dunsparce being two.

By the way, does anyone think Satoshi Tajiri is a millionaire? For some reason I don't suspect he became nearly as rich as J. K. Rowling.

I'm a bit disappointed we know almost nothing about him (at least, for 2008 and 2007). Does anyone suspect he is a millionare by now? Or does Nintendo and Game Freak suck up all the money?

I heard that after G/S/C came out, he had 1,035 pokémon (which was pretty emphasized in the TPM forums around 2001).

Unlike an author, Tajiri doesn't work on the main lifeblood of the series by himself. He likely oversees it somewhat, and therefore the profits have to be split between more people.

That being said, he's likely pretty rich and probably never has to work again if he wanted.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom