• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Randomly Witnessed Glitches (By Personal Experience)

Have you ever randomly encountered a glitch playing a Pokemon game?

• Total voters
Well, I had a copy of Pokemon Yellow (I replaced it with another Pokemon Yellow because of this), and when I started the game, I went into the Route 1 grass, and Professor Oak came out with the "Hey! Wait!" speech, and once he was about to catch the wild Pikachu before taking me to the lab, the screen went black after the fading screen that appears before you find a wild Pokemon, then it froze, so I turned it off and blew on the cartridge, and then the game worked perfectly until I got the bike, and then every time I tried to get on it, the screen froze. Although, I did purchase the game at a store that I usually go to to get Pokemon merchandise (it's kind of like a pawn shop, but they take mostly video games, but since they get so many games, they can't check to see if they work well). Something weird though, the game looked perfectly fine, saved, as if the cartridge just got out of a box, and I checked the previous save file the previous owner had, they were at the beginning of the game. I guess the person who had it before dropped it or something... oh well.

Last edited:
My Platinum game has frozen on multiple occasions randomly.
The scariest glitch that happened to me was when I was happily going through my PC boxes on my beloved (at the time) 400+ hours Platinum(now at 493:26), trying to complete my living pokedex (which I did officially catch them all as of 2 days ago by getting Keldeo, but thats not the point).
I selected my Alakazam to move it , (I think I might of bumped my ds)and it said
ALAKAZAM is selected.
is selected.
is selected.
is selected.
is selected.
is selected.
is selected.
is selected.
And It went all the way to the bottom of the screen and it scared the s*** out of me and I turned off my game and removed my game card. but when I removed my game card, it launched out of my ds into a little trash can in my room just a few feet away from my bed(which was where I was sitting at the time). And that scared me even more and I dug it out of that trash can (thank Arceus that it wasn't that full and it was a really tiny trash can).
I then had a panic attack and as I cleaned my Platinum game and put it into my DS I panicked more when I came to the realization that my save file might have been deleted and my most prized possession would be gone and...
Oh. The game's fine.
That was wierd.

The only glitch i had was caves and brawly's gym lighted up for me and i didn't need to use flash in ruby. And that was the very same game i caught my shiny abra in a already lighted up cave with a great ball. But there wasn't anything glitchy. Its just like a normal ruby game.

In Yellow version, I randomly encountered a Missingno. and it caused the game to freeze.

I nearly freaked out when I encountered a skeleton of Aerodactyl on Red. I got extremely frightened, thinking that a dead pokemon came back alive and turned off the game. I was around nine or so and it scared the hell out of me.

And it so happened to be around Lavender Town. I can't remember the actual location, but it must have been before I got the Silph Scope.

I had a glitch in red one time where i would choose a starter i think it was squirtle i ending up getting a bulbasaur instead.

Since Prime finally got the pics off his 3DS, I'm able to post these. This is what I saw on the GTS one night while doing my usual Golett run-through:

HNI_0024.jpg

HNI_0023.jpg

I'm really surprised that my DS didn't freeze up when I tapped the female Nurse offering the glitch Egg. Usually, I hear the music freeze and everything crashes. I count myself lucky that I was able to get a couple of shots of this.

(You may go ahead and laugh at the stickers on my DS. Yeah, who else would have those two on there?)

Once when I was playing my red and I was near Mt.Moon. Then suddenly I got the white and blue lines screen. It freaked me out and I refused to play my red for a week.

Oh yeah, and once on my crystal Liz called me and told me she saw a beautiful Rocket. Not sure if that was a glitch but I'm pretty sure that wasn't on purpose.

There was also this one time I was messing around with a few codes on a ruby rom and I some how ended up stuck in a Magenta coloured room with a none interactive steven (this was probably because I didn't save at any point before beating the elite four and then tried to enter the battle frontier by going through the counter).

On multiple occasions when Masuda breeding, I've hatched Pokémon with moves they shouldn't have known. First was a Ferroseed with Thunder Wave even though the father didn't know it, then a Scyther which had Leer instead of Quick Attack, even though both parents knew Quick Attack so it should have passed down.

On multiple occasions when Masuda breeding, I've hatched Pokémon with moves they shouldn't have known. First was a Ferroseed with Thunder Wave even though the father didn't know it, then a Scyther which had Leer instead of Quick Attack, even though both parents knew Quick Attack so it should have passed down.

That's probably happening because Pokemon learn moves automatically when they level up in the Daycare. So whatever you were using to father that Ferroseed hit the level where it learned Thunder Wave, and one of your Scythers learned something that knocked Quick Attack out of its moveset.

That's probably happening because Pokemon learn moves automatically when they level up in the Daycare. So whatever you were using to father that Ferroseed hit the level where it learned Thunder Wave, and one of your Scythers learned something that knocked Quick Attack out of its moveset.

Nope. I always use level 100 parents so they don't forget any vital moves. And Thunder Wave isn't a level-up move for Ferrothorn, so it couldn't have learned it in the Day Care anyway.

There has only ever been one Pokemon game glitch that I encountered by accident. It was while I was training up my Eevee. I think it was in Pokemon Yellow but it might have been Blue. In any case, I was battling one of the gym leader Erika's underlings. I had used my new Eevee in battle and it had leveled up to about lvl 30. Then, after the battle had finished, my Eevee suddenly began to evolve. No stones, no nothing. And it was a 1st generation game - so no happiness rating, meaning no Espeon or Umbreon. I didn't want my Eevee to evolve so I hit B right away. However it was clear that it was trying to evolve into Jolteon. :p

There has only ever been one Pokemon game glitch that I encountered by accident. It was while I was training up my Eevee. I think it was in Pokemon Yellow but it might have been Blue. In any case, I was battling one of the gym leader Erika's underlings. I had used my new Eevee in battle and it had leveled up to about lvl 30. Then, after the battle had finished, my Eevee suddenly began to evolve. No stones, no nothing. And it was a 1st generation game - so no happiness rating, meaning no Espeon or Umbreon. I didn't want my Eevee to evolve so I hit B right away. However it was clear that it was trying to evolve into Jolteon. :p
Did you happen to switch out your Eevee and switch in a Growlithe during the battle?

Did you happen to switch out your Eevee and switch in a Growlithe during the battle?

I can't remember. It was a while ago now. It's possible, I guess. That said I vaguely recall that the Pokemon I was using in Blue was a Vulpix - Ninetales. So the glitch would have to have been either Red or Yellow for me to have had the problem if I did use Growlithe. Why d you ask?

I can't remember. It was a while ago now. It's possible, I guess. That said I vaguely recall that the Pokemon I was using in Blue was a Vulpix - Ninetales. So the glitch would have to have been either Red or Yellow for me to have had the problem if I did use Growlithe. Why d you ask?
Because there's a glitch that if you have a Pokemon then evolves with a thunder stone and you switch it out with a Growlithe during a trainer battle that Pokemon will evolve.

I've started playing Crystal again, and I was using one of my friend's SP's for a little while to play it, and since when you hold an SP and the cartridge sticks out the bottom, I would always accidentally bump it with my hand, and the game would get really freaky. One time, the music got all messed up and the colors were inverted, and one time my character completely disappeared from the map. I could still move around, but just nobody was there, but I didn't encounter any wild pokemon. I really wanted to though, I'm sure the results of that would've been interesting.

I was fighting a glitch Pokemon (cant remember which one) by the Mew glitch. During the battle, everything changed to the wrong tiles and my health was now showing CLMMMM or something. After I won the battle, The game flickered and I was in Glitch city. But a glitch city with effects like the glitch dimension! My screen was broken into 3 colors and random stuff was everywhere. I haven't been able to reproduce it so I can't give you more details. I probably will find it again and get to document it...

I have one

I was in the league in Pokemon White(chose to take Shauntal out first)I decided to pit my Swoobat against her Chandelure I got in the first hit then suddenly Swoobat vanishes from sight so all you could see was Shauntal's Chandelure my Swoobat(which wasn't there)and Air Slash/Shadow Ball

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom