• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rate the video game music above

9/10. One of my favourite Ablaze themes from that game.

Let's slow down a bit... Or speed up, depending on how you interpret this song!

Let's Go Away -Piano Ver. / Takenobu Mitsuyoshi
LET'S GO AWAY THE VIDEO GAME DAYTONA USA ANNIVERSARY BOX

Does this song even need any words? You've probably heard this theme before in its original arcade iterations! This song, made for the soundtrack box celebrating the game's anniversary in 2009, is practically the sound of a lost age encapsulated into a piano composition - with Mitsuyoshi's lyrics echoing the pit crew's chatter (something taken from the Daytona USA Medley back in Daytona USA: Circuit Edition), with a couple of extra lines peppered in this time around that accompany the legendary vocals!

8.5/10. Tension. That's what I get from this theme. Wasn't it because this boss was...
A stolen identity upon the murder of the original person before revealing her true self?

7/10 the piano saved it's rating, other than that I'd prefer it without the vocal.
Aw, man. I guess it's evident that you weren't one of those who grew up at least passing by an arcade that had Daytona USA in it. With that in mind, there ARE vocal-less versions out there in certain iterations, but I feel like that takes away from the feel of the original song because of the original being so iconic of the arcade.

Take your pick, because we're going to a time when Konami actually knew what they were doing!

MOONSPIN (Large Mothership Venom Theme)
GRADIUS ULTIMATE COLLECTION

A song from Nemesis II, one of the MSX games in the Gradius series. This is one of the fan favourites of the franchise!

Moonspin (Stage 2 BGM)
GRADIUS ReBirth Original Soundtrack

also present in GRADIUS ULTIMATE COLLECTION

This particular game, much like the other ReBirth games Konami ended up doing, pays homage to lesser known titles and music in their respective franchises - in this case, while certain pieces of music found on the Game Boy and NES versions of Gradius are present, the majority of the game is a love letter to the MSX games - and, in the continuity, takes place before Nemesis II (due to the introduction of a prototype of a specific ship, the Metalion, said to be the successor to the Vic Viper and intended to phase it out - setting the stage for its original appearance in Nemesis II).

I like both, but I think I prefer the first one for its more raw chiptune sound, and also because it reminds me of how awesome the SCC expansion chip is (or at least, I think that was the SCC? Sounded like it.) 8/10 for that one, and 7.5/10 for the second one for being good, but not quite as good as the other one.

Oh, this classic theme. Wonder what it'll sound like in FFVII Remake... 8/10.
It's kinda hard to believe that the notes to the original version of that song were composed in 10 minutes...

I like both, but I think I prefer the first one for its more raw chiptune sound, and also because it reminds me of how awesome the SCC expansion chip is (or at least, I think that was the SCC? Sounded like it.) 8/10 for that one, and 7.5/10 for the second one for being good, but not quite as good as the other one.
Verified it for you - yes, that is the SCC. You're also bang-on with the typical opinion of that song. Personally, I'm about the same, though I do appreciate the effort that went into making the ReBirth version of the song sound like it came from a Gradius arcade game.

I'll post something rather... interesting, to say the least.

Rush a Difficulty J Arrange Ver. / Jun Senoue
OutRun 20th Anniversary Box

Yes, a Sonic music veteran drops his take on Turbo OutRun with the PS2 release of OutRun 2 SP! I'm sure a lot of you are familiar with the name behind this music and I'd hope you would be with his birthday and all, and you can very much see his musical style peppered throughout this song. He also did an arrangement of SPLASH WAVE, though personally I find the above song I linked to be the better implementation of his music style.

(For reference, I friggin' love OutRun music, and I was gonna reply to @InfiniteBakuphoon here, but I held off until someone else posted because I feel like I've already pingpong'd too much in this thread.)

7.5/10
Having never played this game before, it sounds like it would be more appropriate as a level theme than as the main theme. That said, it's still pretty good; my favorite part was the breakdown around ~0:45.

Here's a piece of music that's not summer-y for a change, finally. It's probably one of my favorite pieces of music from the GBA Pokémon games (which, funny enough, doesn't even originate from any of those games):

Oh, right! Johto music! A solid 8/10, as while I do like it, I find that I like the theme better in HGSS.
7.5/10
Having never played this game before, it sounds like it would be more appropriate as a level theme than as the main theme. That said, it's still pretty good; my favorite part was the breakdown around ~0:45.
That's because it's somewhat mislabelled. It's the theme that plays when you encounter the Squeak Squad (your primary antagonists in that game, hence the (North American) title) in a given level. Perhaps the video is only titled as such because, well, they're the Squeak Squad and the uploader didn't feel like being redundant. This is the actual title screen music.

Now, something a bit different. Perhaps. I honestly don't know if I've already posted this one or not, but here we go!

Factory Investigation / Jun Ishikawa
Hoshi no Kirby 64 Original Soundtrack

A theme that, I'm sure, terrified some people back in the day. This game isn't one of my favourites, but this theme is a fan favourite from this game.

Factory Investigation / Jun Ishikawa
Kirby: Planet Robobot

Yes, they could get away without Heavy Lobster, but they couldn't get away without remixing this song, now could they? The level this song plays in is very fitting, too, as its aesthetics are very similar and there are hammers that knock you into the foreground and background everywhere. Kirby 64's been given quite a bit of remix love in this game, even more so than the Ripple Red remix they did in Triple Deluxe!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom