• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rate the video game music above

Oh, I hear this music a lot when LiquidWiFi (an Australian speedrunner and streamer) does KHII runs! That's the extent of my recognition of this song. 8.5/10, the only demotion given is that the video that showed this song off isn't of the highest sound quality.

I'm sure you people will agree, after listening to the last version of this song that I posted, that this song is much more worthy of the title it's been given compared to the original! They went full metal with this version of the song - now you know it's real.

Battlefield - Shiver / Yuzo Koshiro
Shin Sekaiju no Meikyuu 2 Fafnir no Kishi Original Sound Track

For fun, I might post the version of Shiver that's present as music in Etrian Mystery Dungeon - that version is a bit closer to the original in pitch.

Next time, I've got something... really weird for you.

8/10
This version is pretty cool... but I think that I actually just slightly prefer the original version, believe it or not. I think that it's partially because I prefer the FM synthesis sound of the original, but I also feel that the notes in this version blend into each other just a little bit too much, to the point where it sounds almost like a completely different song at times. But it's a very good version of the song nonetheless, and it does improve on the original in many ways.

I don't think that anyone has posted any 8-bit music here recently, so let's change that with a remix of some Pokémon music. It's a re-upload of a niconico video, so I have no idea who actually made it... but in any case:

7.5/10
Neat!

So you've conquered the Pokémon League. You've been nearly everywhere, and you finally come to Giant Chasm. And what do you find deep inside?

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sSuAwi5KbM4

I like this one a lot more than Reshiram and Zekrom's versions, because of dat slap bass.
And yes, I'm stealing your shtick, @TouyaShiro.

WHAT THE HECK IS THAT THING/10 (that's an 8)
8/10
This version is pretty cool... but I think that I actually just slightly prefer the original version, believe it or not. I think that it's partially because I prefer the FM synthesis sound of the original, but I also feel that the notes in this version blend into each other just a little bit too much, to the point where it sounds almost like a completely different song at times. But it's a very good version of the song nonetheless, and it does improve on the original in many ways.
On my end, it's more or less the reasoning of fitting the title better than it did originally. Makes me wonder what you'd think about the Etrian Mystery Dungeon version...

On to the song for today. I don't know how much you guys are aware of this, but Yacht Club Games are the publishers of the physical copy of Azure Striker Gunvolt, specifically for the "Striker Pack", a physical release that contains the two games together. Shortly after the announcement, they gave word that the Shovel Knight amiibo can be used in Gunvolt 2 to unlock a boss fight with the titular blue burrower. This is the music that plays during that fight, a remix of Shovel Knight's title screen music!

Shovel Knight Battle
Azure Striker Gunvolt 2

Awesome stuff, that's all I have to say about it. 9/10.

This song that I'm about to post for you guys is interesting for multiple reasons. Alongside being one of the few solo game events in recent history in the BEMANI series, the song also concerns the legacy of a particular artist - Yoshitaka Nishimura, otherwise known as DJ YOSHITAKA. Back in IIDX 13 DistorteD, he took on the mantle of one of the Four Gods, Suzaku, while composing the song "CONTRACT" for the CARDINAL GATE Extra Stage system. Alongside three others, he would later use this alias in the next game, composing the song "VANESSA" in IIDX 14 GOLD. The story of Vanessa de Verdet is continued in another song which we'll cover another time.

This event concerns the history of the character depicted, much like I described above - the main difference is that these songs were not composed by the original artist. Rather, they started with a remix of the original song to kick off the event, then detailed an assassin of the time, and finally... they culminated it with this song - and the debut of a new Suzaku.

終焔のClaudia / 二代目朱雀 (Shuuen no Claudia / Nidaime Suzaku)
REFLEC BEAT groovin'!! + colette Original Soundtrack

Perhaps this song's artist alias was a foreshadowing to what DJ TOTTO would eventually become - DJ YOSHITAKA's choice for the beatnation RHYZE group, truly making him his successor.

10/10 really like it! Especially the beginning, and the whole music makes me feel energized.

Since I haven't been posting here as much anymore, I don't know if this one was already posted (or I probably did post it and just don't remember, oh well).:

This song is so 90's and early 2000's. Is it bad that it reminds me of other sports games' own menu music? 9/10.

This song follows up my last post on Shuuen no Claudia, and goes back to around the time of IIDX 15 DJ TROOPERS - this time, we're dealing with the original Suzaku himself, DJ YOSHITAKA. Another song in the story of Earl Vanessa de Verdet, supposedly the song comments by Suzaku show that this song bridges the previous two Suzaku songs together - CONTRACT and VANESSA. It depicts the descent of de Verdet into madness and insanity after an infection takes hold of him after a meeting with "The Sparrow", all the while his ego collapses.

... Or not.

Anisakis -somatic mutation type"Forza"- / 朱雀
beatmania IIDX 15 DJ TROOPERS ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK

For those who looked at my previous post, you may have noticed something in common with both of these songs. See if you can identify it - it's a common element of all Suzaku songs!

You might want to check out the album jacket for this song, too!
It's taken from the art overlays that appears on screen as you play it in IIDX and used in BEMANI games which use album jackets, like jubeat or REFLEC BEAT.

Last edited:
While I appreciate the atmosphere of a crowded tavern with some band playing, the music itself is just alright. Though, as I just mentioned, I do like the atmosphere so 6.4/10.

Easy. You mention how Sonic that game looks. For the song itself... it sounds like it's supposed to be dynamic depending on stage progress. 7.5/10.

For these next few posts, I'm going with music from a genre which I've not posted much of here outside of Gradius - SHMUPs. We begin by travelling back, once again, to the golden days of the arcade. This game, while it's had a bit of a rocky history, is a SHMUP classic nonetheless - a vertical SHMUP known as Raiden. This is the music from its first stage.

GALLANTRY(ROUND 1/4) / Akira Satoh
RAIDEN DENSETSU

On a rather weird note, it's only when I started searching for this that I discovered the existence of Raiden V. Might have to go listen to that later... That game is unique for multiple reasons, part of which is the fact that it's the only game outside of the original Raiden not composed by Go Satoh!

Sounds like you'd hear this at a concert featuring this series' music. 9/10.
5/10 I don't really know what to say about this other then it doesn't remind me of Donkey Kong at all?
Oh, man, you missed out on a childhood of trying to get through those stages. While they may not be the hardest things that game has to offer, the stages it plays in are astounding and relatively difficult as they're both roller coaster stages in Krazy Kremland, a theme park world.

Moving away from old SHMUPs, and into the modern age - SHMUPs are still, in many ways, part of the heart of an arcade in Japan. CAVE is a company known for their intense danmaku (lit. "barrage", also known as bullet hell) SHMUP games, such as the DonPachi series. This next song I'm showing you is probably one of my favourite pieces of music in SHMUP history, and that's saying a lot because I love a lot of video game music - this is the music to the 5th and final stage of Mushihimesama Futari.

On the Verge of Madness (Stage 5) / Manabu Namiki, Kimihiro Abe
Mushihimesama Futari Original Sound Track

You may recognise this particular game as the one with the "hardest boss ever" in a SHMUP on YouTube - the safe spot was found a little while after, and many consider Black Label God Mode's true final boss to be easier than the previous version's Ultra Mode true final boss, outside of the literal walls of bullets that are normally impossible to pass without using a bomb. To demonstrate, here's a video of said true final boss being done with zero deaths.

Back
Top Bottom