• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Reports of downtime

Status
Not open for further replies.
nYoo, some people just don't want to risk messing up their computers by altering system files. And who knows how some computers would react.

Honestly, the only reason I used the fix was because I knew where my Vista restore disc was and even then I asked PPN a million times "you sure this won't hurt it?"
You've said that before, why do you just repeat your "some people ... don't like to ... blah blah etc"? This doesn't get the discussion anywhere.
I'm not even criticizing anyone for being afraid of taking possible risks, so don't make me look that way.

I try to have a good discussion of the issue and ask Nando what problem he means and all I get is a useless comment. I was just curious what problem he could have encountered by appending a couple harmless lines to the hosts file, since he asked me if I would assist someone who has such problems in the first place.

I'll try not to say anything anymore about this as long as people give me the feeling they hate me for this issue.

Last edited:
It is good that the forums are back. I have simply been continually attempting to gain access, but Google told me that the link was broken. It seems that Bulbagarden was lifted from where it was and placed somwhere between there and wherever we are now. A little like Alamos Town was-in between dimensions. Of course, I'm talking about servers, not dimensions. That is just my theory.

This is the first night again I've seen these forums working. I haven't been on in 2 days after we figured we couldn't get on. Even Mitch. But I got back on this evening and now it's loading like back to normal with the changes from the downtime made on here.

You've said that before, why do you just repeat your "some people ... don't like to ... blah blah etc"? This doesn't get the discussion anywhere.
I'm not even criticizing anyone for being afraid of taking possible risks, so don't make me look that way.

I try to have a good discussion of the issue and ask Nando what problem he means and all I get is a useless comment. I was just curious what problem he could have encountered by appending a couple harmless lines to the hosts file, since he asked me if I would assist someone who has such problems in the first place.

I'll try not to say anything anymore about this as long as people give me the feeling they hate me for this issue.

No, no, I meant, any problems that might come up. Hence the "who knows how some systems would react". Any. Computers are strange.

(Apologies if I came off as rude, that wasn't my intent.)

It didn't exist, for the purposes of your computer. As we said, our hosts moved us without notification. They screwed up the DNS in the process. DNS points your computer to our server. Without it, it's like we don't exist.

The problem was unrelated to Overgrow. The timing was a coincidence. We apologize for the downtime and are looking to resolve any remaining issues. We appreciate your patience. Modifying your HOSTS file has no chance of breaking your computer.

I realize I'm using a number of short and somewhat unrelated sentences, but I'm trying to cover all the ground here.

Edit: Computers aren't strange. They don't do things for no reason. Computers are necessarily logical. The fix we provided, assuming someone can follow basic instructions, is completely harmless.

I will say this: it's ironic people kept posting the fix on the forums, considering the people who needed it (outside of IRC) couldn't access it in the first place.

Does it really matter. Bulbagarden is nice and all, but it's not the be all end all thing to most people's lives. Besides, with sites like this, server crashes can be expected.

Anyways, I'm glad it's back up again.

Edit: Computers aren't strange. They don't do things for no reason. Computers are necessarily logical.

Pardon, but given that human most pointedly tend not to be logical, "computers are strange" is a perfectly valid notion :p

(In addition, since the logic the computer follow was necessarily implemented by a non-logical human, it can be way fucked up logic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom