• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

RMT: 5th gen. UU Rain team for PO

GengarEatBanana

Banana eating Gengar
Reaction score
Hi guys, I was wondering if you could help me with my UU Rain team for Pokemon Online (PO). I've had reasonable success with it, but I really need some help with the team. This is where your input comes in! Please feel free to make suggestions, however please give reason.

I picked a Rain team because I knew that Rain teams worked extremely well in OU. However without the presence of Drizzle of Politoed as an immediate weather starter I was wondering how it would fair in the UU metagame.

Now, onto the team!

Spr_5b_437.png

ZongBong the Bronzong
Sassy nature @ Leftovers/Damp Rock and Levitate
252 Hp / 84 Att / 80 Def / 92 Sp.D
- Stealth Rock
- Rain Dance
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake

Bronzong is the lead for my team, sporting an unimaginative nickname and steller defences. Although very slow Bronzong gets the job done, and if he's Taunted he can even lash out with a deceptively powerful Gyro Ball, 2KOing Mismagius and OHKOing Aerodactyl (unfortunately many have a Focus Sash). Unfortunately he's stopped cold by practically any Water type bar one who has an Earthquake weakness (e.g. Qwilfish). Slowbro with Recover actually cannot be touched by this Bronzong, but by then I've switched to a suitable counter.

One of the biggest problems is that Bronzong has no reliable recovery. This means that I either have Leftovers and improve Bronzong's own chance of survival, or I use a Damp Rock meaning I get some extra turns of Rain which helps out the team. Thoughts?

Spr_5b_141.png

Edge the Kabutops
Adamant nature @ Life Orb and Swift Swim
4 Hp / 252 Att / 252 Spe
- Waterfall
-Stone Edge
- Sword Dance
-Aqua Jet

My primary Rain sweeper, Kabutops is dangerous in the rain. Even resistant walls like Quagsire should be catious if he gets a Sword Dance or two up, as he reaches over 1000 Attack after two of them, and can proceed to sweep with either Stone Edge or Waterfall. In this sense Aqua Jet is really useful, as it lets him pick off faster sweepers outside of Rain and other priority users and is also useful for revenge killing weak foes.

Nonetheless him getting a perfect sweep is quite rare. If the Rain stops and he hasn't got a Sword Dance up something like a Roserade can easily come in and finish him off, and dedicated Physical walls like Slowbro can burn him without taking too much damage. On top of that Priority moves are very common in UU, and minus his decent Defence he's very frail. He's a very situational Pokemon, and I'm wondering if he's the best choice.

319.png

Razorfin the Sharpedo
Adamant nature @ Focus Sash and Speed Boost
4 Hp / 252 Att / 252 Spe
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Aqua Jet
- Protect

Although this guy initially seems very similar to Kabutops, his job isn't to set up and sweep exactly but more pick off weakened foes. Possesing higher natural attack than Kabutops (not by that much however) and a Speed stat that doesn't rely on the Rain, Sharpedo is very good at revenge killing frail Pokemon like Ambipom and Mienshao. If his Speed can be boosted enough through Speed Boost even Scarfed Pokemon like Flygon will be outsped. The Focus Sash is just a backup so that Sharpedo can net a few kills he otherwise couldn't, using Waterfall or Crunch and then being able to go again. Sharpedo's defences really are really abysmal, so it's kind of neccessary if Sharpedo is meant to survive more than one turn.

Although I loved this guy at first, I'm starting to think he isn't the best choice and I wish Kingdra was UU on PO like on Smogon. However that hasn't happened yet and might not happen anytime soon, so is there any other choice of Pokemon I could use in place?

589.png

Braveheart the Escavalier
Adamant nature @ Choice Band and Swarm
252 Hp / 252 Att / 4 Def
- Megahorn
- Pursuit
- Return
- Iron Head

Simply select Megahorn and proceed to kill something. Seriously, everything it touches dies. Due to STAB Megahorn is an 180 Bug move coming off 607 Attack, killing even thing that resist it. Mismagius is no longer a problem and can't really hurt this guy due to his good bulk. Many walls are taken down by this guy, and considering many are weak to Bug (Slowbro, Cresselia) he's great at his job. He's actually my favourite guy on this team, and with Rain lowering Fire's power he actually has a chance if one comes out to kill him.

The only problem I have is that he can't take repeated hits. With no recovery he can't last forever, so I have to wait until exactly the right moment to use him. However his pro's far outweigh his con's, and I intend to keep using him.

596.png

CreepyCrawly the Galvantula
Timid nature @ Choice Specs and Compoundeyes
4 Hp / 252 Sp.A / 252 Spe
- Thunder
- Bug Buzz
- Energy Ball
- Volt Switch

This bug has been ok for me. Although the movepool is great, it's kinda like I have to choose between doing enough damage with a Choice Specs or outspeeding more things and scouting with a Choice Scarf. Right now I've been using a Choice Specs set, however I not sure if it's the right choice. Although it's powerful and can easily destroy a Pokemon weak to one of its moves, it's awfully predictable. Flygon's also seem to be around and with such low defences he can easily switch in on a predicted Thunder, outspeed and then proceed to KO Galvantula or badly dent a teammate who I switch in. A Stealth Rock weakness and being affected by Spikes and Toxic Spikes is also annoying, and I feel I can't switch him in as much as I'd like.

Overall it just seems that he's a bit more of a liability, and that a different Choice Specs sweeper is needed.

407.png

FlowerPower the Roserade
Calm nature @ Leftovers and Natural Cure
252 Hp / 4 Def / 252 Spe
- Sleep Powder
- Leech Seed
- Toxic Spikes
- Giga Drain

Roserade is fantastic in UU right now, much like it's younger sibling Roselia in RU. Being able to set up Toxic Spikes, put to sleep threats and then proceed to drain the health out of everything is a neat little ability. The fact she isn't worried too much about status due to her ability and also that she can absorb others Toxic Spikes is very welcome too. I actually have no complaints for this one, and she is a great Pokemon.

Well, that's my team. Please suggest any improvements or changes I could make. My main questions are:

Should I change the Leftovers on Bronzong for a Damp Rock?

Should I replace Sharpedo with another Pokemon?

Should I replace Galvantula with another Special Attacker?

Who could be a back-up Rain starter?

Thanks!

Ah, rain dance teams...
I used one till some months back in Ou,before ferrothorns ripped it apart.

Ok, firstly, You are not gonna get time to set up toxic spikes and all, when its raining.
You should just put in approximately 2 weather inducers, 3 sweepers and a supportmon.

Now I don't know much about Po tiers, but I know that crobat is in UU AND he is one of the best rain-dance abusers.
a set like this could work: Rain dance/U turn/Filler moves like taunt, super fang, roost, etc.
Another good weather inducer is Uxie. Even Uxie can run Rd/u turn and even stealth rock.

Make Bronzong hold damp rock.
For sweepers, try swift swim Ludicolo and possibly Floatzel(He is not too good though but worth trying) or even stuff like Zapdos, Jolteon, Rotom-grass form, Qwilfish, Empoleon.

As for the supportmon, keep something with wish or aromatherapy but doesn't destroy your momentum. I'm not sure which uu mons can be useful though, but something which can get rid of status or provide wish support. I would have said Jirachi but its obviously OU.

Edit: Ok this article is about the 4 th gen but you might still find it useful nonetheless.

Thanks for the help. After looking into the articles and some consideration I rearranged my team a bit, dropping a few of them and getting some new guys that fill the roles better. Specifically I replaced Bronzong with an Uxie lead, Sharpedo with a Swift Swim Ludicolo, Galvantula with a Choice Scarf Rotom-C and instead of Roserade I'm trying out a Support Altaria.

I'll get back to you on how it goes.

Uh...don't you need more than one Rain Dance user? I assume the Ludicolo you subbed in has Rain Dance?

I think that Lanturn could work really well on this team. The support set from the guide would give you an invaluable check to opposing bulky waters and an additional Pokemon to set up rain. Here it is for your reference:

Lanturn @ Damp Rock
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 40 HP / 216 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm nature (+SpD, -Atk)
- Rain Dance
- Hydro Pump
- Thunder
- Ice Beam

^
Lanturn is awesome. UU hits harder this gen, so you could also think about moving those SpA EVs to Def. Either way really, you'll notice the lack of power without SpA investment and you'll notice the lack of physical bulk w/out the Def.

Uh...don't you need more than one Rain Dance user? I assume the Ludicolo you subbed in has Rain Dance?

I was using the support Altaria as my back-up Rain Dancer and the Ludicolo as a Special sweeper. However I'm thinking Lanturn might work better in this team then Altaria. Is there a set which contains both Heal Bell and Rain Dance though? Status really messes up this team.

@Heathcliff Huxtable, I may use that set.

@GengarEatBanana

You probably don't need a cleric. Just let Lanturn absorb T-wave and run Lum Berry on one of your set up sweepers if necessary.

I was using the support Altaria as my back-up Rain Dancer and the Ludicolo as a Special sweeper. However I'm thinking Lanturn might work better in this team then Altaria. Is there a set which contains both Heal Bell and Rain Dance though? Status really messes up this team.

Hell no. You will need 2 Damp rock holders AND a pokemon who can set up RD in an emergency.
Roserade can learn both Rd and Aromatherapy( and even weatherball, should you feel like using it). It can also absorb toxic spikes. I think you can use that.

1. Go with Damp Rock. Good lead.

Slowbro gets Slack Off, not Recover. Also it, and the other dominant bulky Waters (Suicune, Quagsire, Milotic) destroys your whole team, barring Galvantula and Rose too, I guess. All Slowbro or Suicune have to do is lead, Calm Mind turn one on the switch and take a Thunder, while OHKOing back, or Psyshock or Ice Beam Rose for the KO. Rose is better with Leaf Storm so it can OHKO.

2. Kabutops beating Quagsire wut. The whole reason Quagsire has become more viable is Unaware. Quag can Curse up on you and EQ rape.

3. Eh, Sharpedo isn't great and very predictble. I suggest replacing with a Special Water sweeper. Ludicolo would work great here.

4. Not accurate to say beats Mismagius. Bulky W-o-W, sub, Pain Split sets are common enough. Durant might work better here so that it counters Missy and can easily sweep after Hustle and Hone Claw boost. Scolipede is a great Roserade and Virizon counter, which I'm guessing beat your team

5. Specs Galvantula shouldn't really even be considered. Specs Jolteon has higher Satk and huge speed which Slecs Sets often need. If you want to use Galvantula, use a Scarf set or a Lorb one.

6. Do Toxic Spikes actually benefit your team or is that a filler? Regardless swap GD for LS. I'm pretty sure Rose gets Rain Dance which would be a much better slot.

I'd go more in-depth but mobile atm. Also, shoot me UU queries if you have any.

Edit: Just read other posts with similar information. Best of luck anyway!

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom