• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rumours/Fakes/Leaks Discussion Thread

Do you like fakes/leaks season?

• I love it!

Votes: 227 52.2%
  • Yeah

Votes: 81 18.6%
  • Doesn't bother me

Votes: 76 17.5%
  • No

Votes: 20 4.6%
  • Hate it.

Votes: 31 7.1%

• Total voters
‘Pokemon Sun & Moon’ Leaks? ‘CoroCoro’ Reveals ‘Starter Evolutions’

I found this page about a month ago and what caught my attention was that the images appear to have been taken out of CoroCoro or some other magazine. I still have reason to be skeptical as they only provided picture of the final evolution alone and not the entire page itself.

That picture is from like, July, or summat; we're waaaaaaaay past the month that that "issue" would have come out in, so it is 100% fake

Plus the Litten2 is definitely a reskinned Espeon

I have no idea what the source of this is, but what it suggests is that the starter's final forms are version exclusive like Lycanroc is, which, if true, might not sit well with a lot of fans, especially those who have pre-ordered one version.

This is why I don't buy any of those split-evolution-of-starters thing. Even with Rockruff, there's already complaints here and there about it's evolution being version exclusive.

This is why I don't buy any of those split-evolution-of-starters thing. Even with Rockruff, there's already complaints here and there about it's evolution being version exclusive.
Majority of the reasons people want split forms is because they don't like the final evolutions for the starters, so they're hoping for another form that fits their personal tastes. Others just want to see split forms cause it would be interesting.

There maybe complaints but most people are happy.
Prior to the reveal of Lycanroc' many people were debating whether or not it should go the Lucario route or remain on all fours but in the end both sides got what they wanted. Going this route with the Starters makes sense too since you'll please a wider group of people, make the current Starters feel special, and gets more people to cave in and buy both versions.

Yes, on the next page Corocoro asked "How will they evolve" referring to Rockruff and the Starters so it's likely that they have version exclusive evos like Rockruff does.

Thanks! So it was actually two quotes that he was referring to, interesting that we completely missed that one.

On that note, that quote actually makes me even more curious about the evolutions of the starters as that quote deliberately connects the secret to them. It really does give more credence to the possibility of them having split evolutions, or at least something notable about their evolutions.

So, this image has been floating around Tumblr recently:
tumblr_inline_ody4ha6zZj1so6dd5_540.png
I have no idea what the source of this is, but what it suggests is that the starter's final forms are version exclusive like Lycanroc is, which, if true, might not sit well with a lot of fans, especially those who have pre-ordered one version. I have a hard time believing this because there was no source given for this image, it just appeared on one blog and I haven't seen it on any other site.

While I know the rumor of there being a split evolution for the starters has been a popular one, the Chinese leak, which has been accurate so far, states otherwise. While the silhouettes for the Moon version match up with the starter evolution concept art, which also match up with what the Chinese leak states, the Sun version silhouettes don't match up with any known source, plus they contradict what a recent leak from the same leaker has shown which shows that the starter finals that we have seen since June are indeed the ones we have seen for months.

Since no source is given for this image or the Sun silhouettes (and the lack of any mid-stages shown for the starters), I'm going to say "citation needed" for this image.

Hmm, interesting image, but I can't say I believe it. It uses the concept images for the moon forms, but we see clearly that Lycanroc uses the official artwork for them, which makes me think this is fan-made rather then something from a official source. So I'm going to put this in the 'not really believing this' category, unless something new pops up that gives this image a stronger leg to stand on.

With that said though, it doesn't really contradict any of the actual leaks. As mentioned before, the Chinese leak said nothing about Rockruff's evolution having forms, so that not being mentioned for the starters isn't a point against it. Also, the Riddler is only using that image as a way to track new Pokémon and his hints, it's not supposed to be the end-all-be-all of information and whatever is on there is set as is. Remember that before we got Lycanroc and its forms, Rockruff's evolution was listed as one Pokémon only, he didn't say anything about it getting two forms. Similarly, he didn't mention Cutiefly's evolution at all, yet he added that later after the trailer leaked it out. So the starters getting forms wouldn't contradict what he's saying either, he'd just update his list with the confirmed information as he did with Lycanroc and other new Pokémon and hints.

Majority of the reasons people want split forms is because they don't like the final evolutions for the starters, so they're hoping for another form that fits their personal tastes. Others just want to see split forms cause it would be interesting.

There maybe complaints but most people are happy.
Prior to the reveal of Lycanroc' many people were debating whether or not it should go the Lucario route or remain on all fours but in the end both sides got what they wanted. Going this route with the Starters makes sense too since you'll please a wider group of people, make the current Starters feel special, and gets more people to cave in and buy both versions.

Yes, split evolution is good, awesome actually, and that's not the problem. What peoples complaining (from what I know at least) is that the evolution is version exclusive rather than just day/night evolution.

I personally would love to have split evolution if it's not version exclusive. Well, if it ended up being version exclusive I'll just buy whichever version with that archer owl in it.

Considering how the two forms of Lycanroc are called Midday form and Midnight form, the anime should outline the fact that it changes forms between night and day. Otherwise we're going to have yet another youtube video on Pokemon Anime mistakes/errors

Why do so many people have an issue with the starter evolutions being version exclusive? Version exclusives are way cool. As kids that was always an underrated aspect. If you only had the version, you were game linking with with your buddy trying to get those. Magmar and Electabuzz was a memorable one for me. Also, as a gamer who always gets both versions, it gives such more repeat play bonus. Really exploring the build of a starter Pokemon is one of the best parts of the initial playthrough, and now getting it twice is great. Not to mention some really neat new breeding mechanics and build options for competitive play. I'm pumped they changed it up like that. Also, with Popplios accepted Moon final ego, they weren't going to go THAT gender specific for a starter and have that as the only option, particularly where every starter gender ratio is approximately 87% male? I would have thought most would have seen that as a dead giveaway for split evos.

Why do so many people have an issue with the starter evolutions being version exclusive? Version exclusives are way cool. As kids that was always an underrated aspect. If you only had the version, you were game linking with with your buddy trying to get those. Magmar and Electabuzz was a memorable one for me. Also, as a gamer who always gets both versions, it gives such more repeat play bonus. Really exploring the build of a starter Pokemon is one of the best parts of the initial playthrough, and now getting it twice is great. Not to mention some really neat new breeding mechanics and build options for competitive play. I'm pumped they changed it up like that. Also, with Popplios accepted Moon final ego, they weren't going to go THAT gender specific for a starter and have that as the only option, particularly where every starter gender ratio is approximately 87% male? I would have thought most would have seen that as a dead giveaway for split evos.
Because not everyone wants to get both games and version exclusive evolutions make it more annoying to choose a version if you don't want to trade for someone else's evolved pokemon and instead wish to raise your own. Especially with Lycanroc already being version-exclusive-- let's say you want Sun Lycanroc but one of the Moon starter evolutions, and you don't really want or can't afford to get both versions. It would be really frustrating.

To me, personally, having to trade for the evolution I want is pretty much as bad as trade evolutions, which have always been a chore to do, and it doesn't contribute any fun to the gameplay.

Also it's not really a "dead giveaway" since Popplio's feminine final evo isn't really any different from Braixen in that regard.

Last edited:

I agree with you entirely. I mean yes, it is a tactic by a company that encourages sales but Pokemon has always tried to use version exclusive content to create a more unique experience for the players. Beyond that, if the GTS works the way it did in XY/ORAS then obtaining the forms found in the version you aren't playing should be effortless. I mean the GTS single handedly managed to make something I once dreaded (trade evolutions) completely painless. At least from my experiences.

I agree that it would be great to get two final evolution forms for its starter. It is not only something fresh in the games, but it will gives to the player more options when making his pokemon team.

I wouldn't mind if the forms are version exclusives, since I preordered both versions, but it is more fair to depend on day/night cycle. Taking in consideration the Rockruff split evolution though, which is version exclusive, I think the starters will go in the same way...

I don't think the starters are getting split evolutions. I think there are screenshots that prove that Rowlet, Litten and Popplio evolve twice but there is no space for a split evolution. Alternate form maybe but I doubt that too.

I don't think the starters are getting split evolutions. I think there are screenshots that prove that Rowlet, Litten and Popplio evolve twice but there is no space for a split evolution. Alternate form maybe but I doubt that too.

That's exactly what they would be, a la Wormadam and Lycanroc.

So, this image has been floating around Tumblr recently:
tumblr_inline_ody4ha6zZj1so6dd5_540.png
I have no idea what the source of this is, but what it suggests is that the starter's final forms are version exclusive like Lycanroc is, which, if true, might not sit well with a lot of fans, especially those who have pre-ordered one version. I have a hard time believing this because there was no source given for this image, it just appeared on one blog and I haven't seen it on any other site.

While I know the rumor of there being a split evolution for the starters has been a popular one, the Chinese leak, which has been accurate so far, states otherwise. While the silhouettes for the Moon version match up with the starter evolution concept art, which also match up with what the Chinese leak states, the Sun version silhouettes don't match up with any known source, plus they contradict what a recent leak from the same leaker has shown which shows that the starter finals that we have seen since June are indeed the ones we have seen for months.

Since no source is given for this image or the Sun silhouettes (and the lack of any mid-stages shown for the starters), I'm going to say "citation needed" for this image.

This is from a video by TheOneIntegral, I'll try to have the video embedded below. Honestly he's probably the best PokeTuber out there due to not being completely over the top like the many that I refuse to name. The art for the Moon Evolutions is from the Chinese leak concept art while the Sun Evolutions are simply Fan Art.

Alternate forms ie Lycanroc is what is likely nothing over the top and probably different stat distributions/movepools.

I agree there may not be a massive difference in starter forms pertaining to stats/movepools, I'm clueless as to the typings of the Sun exclusives, but even if if it only gives me a choice competitively between a physical sweeper or a special sweeper, I'll be satisfied. Aesthetically, they forms are very different, which in itself is wonderful. I would like to point to Lycanroc as an example to that, but I still am leaning towards some type variation as well, so using Lycanroc as an example for something I know to be factual opens the door for countering something I'm hopeful for but only 75% certain of.

This is from a video by TheOneIntegral, I'll try to have the video embedded below. Honestly he's probably the best PokeTuber out there due to not being completely over the top like the many that I refuse to name. The art for the Moon Evolutions is from the Chinese leak concept art while the Sun Evolutions are simply Fan Art.

I agree, he's very well researched. Only downside is his videos are lengthy and his voice is dreamy, a bit.
I agree that it would be great to get two final evolution forms for its starter. It is not only something fresh in the games, but it will gives to the player more options when making his pokemon team.

I wouldn't mind if the forms are version exclusives, since I preordered both versions, but it is more fair to depend on day/night cycle. Taking in consideration the Rockruff split evolution though, which is version exclusive, I think the starters will go in the same way...

I'm against version exclusive for starters, solely for the reason that I have already pre ordered moon.. I can do about missing midday form of lycanroc which I like better than midnight, but with the starters, it limits the choices and I want to choose my starter and its form..

It's unfair for those who pre ordered. It's like forcing us to buy the other version if you like them better. Starters are the first Pokemon you get attached with and it's not easy to just ask others to trade them.

If they intended it to be version exclusive, they should have revealed it before the pre orders started. It's roughly a month now before it gets released and we haven't even seen the mid evo. It really sucks.

If they want the split form badly, they should make it day or night evo then.

It's not fair...? Huh. I mean.. how? Because the version you bought happens to have three separate designs ridiculously easy to obtain in our wireless world? I wish people would look at it more in the way of adding to the total available talent pool than taking away from their game. It only adds content and flavor, not at all subtracting. GameFreak knows people will complain about anything at all, even when more cool features are added to the game. I would be blown away if there is not some in game way once you get post-game to obtain your starters opposite form.

I don't want any kind of form for the starters. One is enough. True, it would be game changing but I rather they keep some traditions and not ditch every single one of them.

Back
Top Bottom