• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S12 EP48: The Treasure Is All Mine!

Okay. This ep in no way equalled its predecessor--but let's face it, what episode could?! "Holy Matrimony" has to rank among the top ten "OMG WTF?!" episodes ever in anime. I didn't think we'd see the whip again--the watchdogs are much more alert these days.

But all that aside, this episode rocked. Not, you know, like Led Zepplin back in the day, but the beat was there all the same. Yay for continuity, for really funny lines (Snarky!Ash is my new favorite side of his character) and I'm glad to see Growlie and short-pants James again.

My head is still spinning from the flying sofa. :p

I give it 8 out of 10.

~~~~

Vileplume's solar beam bothered me a little, but as dman said, it's fanwanked easily enough. And there's no reason that Jessebelle couldn't have gotten in the habit of having Vileplume charge up before going back into its ball...it may "wear off" a little before she lets it out, but it might surprise any opponents she has.

But QC: a little research could have easily told you that Superman's abilities have been defined by the DC Powers That Be for years, and the fan community defends their rules and limits just as...fervently...as any Pokemon fan defends the rules of battle.

Superman fans were arguing continuity before you were born (heck, probably before your parents were born). In comics, the "inmates have been running the asylum" for years now.

Never underestimate another fandom - their fans care just as much about their universe as you do about yours.

And don't diss Superman--it's just tacky. He's a cultural icon.

[re: Skitty existing when Pokemon numbered but 150]

It's called a retcon. This show has completely ignored the fact that certain Pokemon "didn't exist" (or this case, were discovered later) until later generations all the time. (ie: James' Carnivine).

Bingo! This has bothered me since Carnivine was uncovered after "all those years" in James's bottlecap collection.

My own fanwank: Before Ash set out on his journey, the Pokemon Leagues were much more autonomous...when he talked to Bill in first season, there were only 150 Pokemon - officially recognized by the Kanto Pokemon League, that is. There were still Skitties in Hoenn, and Carnivines in Sinnoh, but the Leagues had very little "crossover" of Pokemon (or trainers). (Poor Bill might have lost funding if he'd talked too much about "unofficial" Pokemon.)

So, every time a new generation comes out, it represents a moment when political negotiations are finally settled between the (growing) group of regions with interconnected Leagues and yet another politically isolated area. But folk like James and Jessebelle and their kin are able to travel easily between areas due to their great wealth--so they're hip to all the "not quite recognized yet" species, and since they're not often involved in official League competition, they rarely run into a conflict.

Howzzat? ;-)

Is it ok to mention on another thread we were discussing the voices? If so, I will continue this post.

Howzzat? ;-)

That's my own theory to explain how it works, even though it is unlikely. But yeah, I always imagine when a new region is revealed, it's because the government in that area decided to open its doors to the public outside the region.

But as I said there's no real way that would work, since it would be nearly impossible to keep certain Pokemon from crossing the borders into a region. But it's still nice to think that's the reason behind it.

...I always imagine when a new region is revealed, it's because the government in that area decided to open its doors to the public outside the region.

But as I said there's no real way that would work, since it would be nearly impossible to keep certain Pokemon from crossing the borders into a region. But it's still nice to think that's the reason behind it.

It can still work! Sure, Pokemon cross the borders...but not until they arrive in significant numbers do the League authorities take "official" notice. I mean, people know the creatures exist...but there may be argument about whether or not they count as "Pokemon." (To the common person's view, anything that goes in a Pokeball ought to be considered a Pokemon, but Those In Authority are often a bit more persnickety about details and definitions....)

Or,perhaps the Pokemon themselves have been more circumspect about where they go...the Legendaries of a region may have some convenient mysterious purpose in keeping some species from crossing borders until "the time is right."

There's ALWAYS a way to make things work. I believe in The Power of Fanwank!

Is it ok to say what we were talking about the voices on another forum or not?

I will just go ahead, because I did ask like, 2 hours ago.

TO ADD ONCE APPROVED :)

Last edited:
Is it ok to say what we were talking about the voices on another forum or not?

I will just go ahead, because I did ask like, 2 hours ago.

If it were me, I wouldn't post on a sensitive subject until a mod or administrator told me it was okay.

As far as I know, it's NOT okay to talk about that subject on THIS forum, at all.

I actually suggest you edit your last paragraph out ASAP.

Also, two hours is not really a lot of time for an answer. You must be more patient.

I finally watched this in English and... wow, I couldn't stop laughing the whole ep! I enjoyed this SO much more than the Galactic final... Pokémon is at its best in crazy and funny episodes like this! I'll never understand the people who want the show to be more serious...

dman_dustin said:
Not entirely, Science has tried to explain why Superman does what he does. Which means science has tried to explain his flying, super strength, super durability. While hardly anyone (including me) tries to explain the science of Pokemon attacks and passing it off as illogical, unlikely, breaking the rules of physics. As I've always said it's not fair to judge something illogical on a fictional world, since that fictional world has obvious different rules of physics; etc than our own.
What? Are you honestly telling me that there are some people out there who consider Superman's superpowers as real and thus try to explain it? :confused:I didn't know that and I hope that I won't insult any potential Superman fans here, but those people must be out of their minds.
I mean, no serious mentally healthy physicist would even try to bother explaining the logical rules behind those powers. So how people could honestly think that those are real or in some way explicable sure is beyond me.

Now don't get me wrong and say: "But you defend the rules of Pokemon battles as well"
Yes and no! I'm undoubtedly aware that Pokemon attacks are unreal, because no being in this world is able to fire off giant flames, cascades of water, razor-like leaves or deadly thunderbolts ,quite apart from the fact that probably no creature I can think of would be capable of SURVIVING those brutal attacks. If you look at Pokemon from this perspective, you can't help but conclude that it's unreal or illogical.

Now, I do not doubt that. Unlike those Superman fans, I do not even try to explain the origins of those superpowers which the Pokemon possess, because this would just be ridiculous and in vain. I just take it as given.
However, I do think that there must be some logical rules as to HOW those attacks are used. Whenever I try to defend the rules of the battles in the Anime, I do not refer to the origins of those attacks and whether or not they are real, but to the way they are applied and whether this is logical.

Therefore, I still think that even if you accept that Vileplume was able to somehow charge up quickly enough to use Solar Beam, this attack should have been so weak that I shouldn't have had the power to destroy a heavy wooden door which was blocked by several big heavy stones.
Don't you agree on that?

Last time I'm posting on the superman thing, if you wish to discuss further, PM me, or use my visitor message thing.
What? Are you honestly telling me that there are some people out there who consider Superman's superpowers as real and thus try to explain it? :confused:I didn't know that and I hope that I won't insult any potential Superman fans here, but those people must be out of their minds.
Who said they were superman fans, it was science itself, in the form of a Superman Documentary.

I mean, no serious mentally healthy physicist would even try to bother explaining the logical rules behind those powers. So how people could honestly think that those are real or in some way explicable sure is beyond me.
Now that's just offensive, we have physicists trying to work on some pretty messed up science fiction things, and somehow explaining Superman's powers through science is a sign of a sick mind.

There was a whole documentary that explained, that Spiderman could in fact be possible in this universe (in certain ways). You seem to be wrapped yourself around your naivety around the rules of our universe. That you cannot know what is possible in our universe or not. There is a whole "branch" or line of work, where people actually work on the science of fictional things and apply the science to shows. Come on now we live in a world, where people aren't buying nuclear caused powers since that was proven wrong years ago.

But take Spiderman for example. The best way Spiderman can exist is called a retrovirus, which can actually change your DNA (according to the documentary) and the retrovirus was the main theme of the documentary that overall explained everything. They also explained that certain "muscle tension" would also allow one to be even stronger, or muscle fibers, it's hard to remember, but they explained that if someone had more muscle fibers, or something then those muscles could lift a lot more, possibly beating any human in strength easily even up to Spider-man ten times stronger than man. They also explained the web-shooting. See originally Stan Lee (he was in the documentary) developed web shooter technology because he didn't believe it would make sense. But it actually surprised him that science backed up the whole natural web shooting that more recent adaptations of Spiderman have implemented. They explained that the retrovirus could alter one's physical features to give him spinnerets the organ responsible for giving spiders their web making abilities. They even further talked about how certain webs by certain spiders was actually inch by inch stronger than the toughest cable made by man. Don't misunderstand, that's not to say the web is stronger than the toughest cable, but if you were to expand the web so it was about the same thickness as the man made cable, then yes it would be stronger. It's just like how some girls are pound for pound stronger than people who lift weights for strength. That's not to say those girls can lift more than those guys but it comes down to ratio of the object lifted and the weight of the person lifting. Like an ant, and ant is one of the strongest creatures in the world, and can lift 10 times or more of their own weight. Which would be about a ton for an average human, something a single human can't lift.

So don't be Naive anymore look up "Spider-man tech" a documentary explains how theoretically possible spider-man really is.
However, I do think that there must be some logical rules as to HOW those attacks are used.
Except as I said, the games own technical limitations, does not mean the logic of those attacks should have any bearing on a more "realistic" playing field which is the anime, which means that the anime have the freedom of not being limited. Do you know how boring it would be if Pokemon was exactly like the games?

but to the way they are applied and whether this is logical.
But your basis comes from the game, which fine is a good reference, but that's all it is, is a reference, you then have to include possibilities of a more realistic world. Take vine whip, it seems to me you'd argue how illogical it is when Ash's Bayleef used vine whip on Harrison's Houndoom to prevent fire attacks by closing its mouth and then preceding to knock it out. However one thing I'd argue, is you aren't taking in account that if vine whip is controlling vines by the Pokemon then how does it not make sense that if the Pokemon can control a vine like an arm why it can't wrap around a dog's mouth to prevent it from attacking with its flames?

Therefore, I still think that even if you accept that Vileplume was able to somehow charge up quickly enough to use Solar Beam, this attack should have been so weak that I shouldn't have had the power to destroy a heavy wooden door which was blocked by several big heavy stones.
Don't you agree on that?
That's assuming of course that the door, and the rocks were somehow more durable than a Pokemon. If it was a weak door, and the rocks were poorly placed that enough force could cause them to tumble then no it should have done it. The only thing I may be willing to agree on, is the scene was overdramatic, which is probably why you thought it was illogical. But they needed to this to get the James' and everyone's attention. If anything the door should have just swung open after causing the rocks to tumble not really the explosion that appeared.

And even then that would be ignoring the size of vileplume's solar beam, yes it was small, but it looked like it would still cause some major damage. Remember in the games certain Pokemon moves are weak however they appear stronger in the anime, because most likely the Pokemon itself is really strong. And since we don't know how strong Jessiebelle is, we can't say for sure how strong Vileplume is. I'd say in theory since Jessiebelle doesn't seem to be too villainous except trying to force a man to marry her, that she would be fairly strong, maybe on some level near gym leader strength.

And also another thing your ignoring is training. Just like how a human weight trains to lift more and more weight. Why can't the same concept be applied here. Maybe Jessiebelle's Vileplume was trained that it could fire a semi powerful solar beam easily.

Again the reason why solarbeam requires a powering up stage is the own game's way of checks and balances. Would it be fair if a Pokemon could use such a powerful attack so easily? It also has 10 PP. So yeah it's one of those strong Pokemon attacks that needs some sort of drawback, so the opponent gets a chance to survive or counter it. And even then with sunny day or Groudon's ability that limitation is removed.

What? Are you honestly telling me that there are some people out there who consider Superman's superpowers as real and thus try to explain it?

...that is such a "WTF" interpretation of what I and dman said, that I just don't even know where to start correcting you.

Ah, the continuation of an ep from the first season. So, this whole business was James's own fault? Well, not really, their parents took it way out of proportion. I still also suspect his parents orchestrated their meeting, hoping that they would get together. It's nice to see them remember something from that long ago, but I guess it's from already seeing the pics from the JP airing that I'm not as shocked as I was then about seeing Jessiebelle again.

I solely agree with that, this is one of my favorite episodes right next to the Hoenn grand fesitval episodes. My gosh I can do her accent still.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom