• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Season 10 subtitled

All true... Why they "americanize" Pokemon when they KNOW the're source for other dubs? It's reason that many people refuse that Pokemon is Anime and say it's "American-made"...

TeddiUrsa said:
yes, we don´t have commercial breaks in childen´s television either. It´s forbidden.

But,..you are way too harsh.
I´ve never seen hostility to foreigners here and I bet no one here thinks that "US of A is superior and other dubs aren't important...".
You can´t lump together everything. NOt all american members think like that ( I know none).
They are just pokemon fans like us, it´s not their fault that we had to live with 4kids´ dub and music changes. Please don´t turn this already done to death debate into a political debate ^^;

I'm not too harsh. I haven't said that ALL of them are like that, but unfortunately, most of them.

PokemonTrainerLisa said:
No, actually, you're exactly right TeddiUrsa.

In fact, in the 3rd movie audio commentary, the director and producer mention that they dub the anime (and movies) in the U.S. first, and then all other contries just adapt it from their version. So, instead of those contries adapting from and going directly from the Japanese version, they have to adapt from the U.S. dubbed version.

I think that is one of the main reasons why 4Kids tried to do as good a job as they could when they were dubbing the anime.

"As good job as they could"? LOL! They did NOTHING to please foreign dub watchers! Only thing i can think about is the fact that international version of early MQ episodes don't have island dames on Whirl Islands' map (just like RAWs). That's ALL.

And, probably using RAW version as source for dub would be cheaper.

You say that PUSA would use "worse" VAs, while actual ones aren't so good. It's not a big price to pay for less edited version... but my hopes are ruined now after hearing new opening.

I have to cut offtopic once again... If only my English was better, i would try to make subs just using summaries for episode, and lots of people would enjoy it xD

Sorry for not responding earlier, I had very limited internet access until yesterday. ^^;

You need lots of staff if you want to maintain a regular release schedule - it seems to take at least two weeks to do just one episode, so in order to not have a growing backlog, you'd need at least two teams working on one episode each.
Two weeks? That sounds a bit farfetched (with no pun intended), because I know for a fact that groups working on a project with only two or even one person per job can manage to get releases out within a few days of the raw being released. It depends on how dedicated the people working on the project are - if each can set aside a few specific hours each week to do whatever they're supposed to, releases will come much faster.

Personally, I feel insulted and angry when lay people, especially people who are monoglots, think translating is easy. There are so many details lost in translation, so many things that could be preserved without writing awkward sentences if you put in the time and effort to think about it.... it is in fact quite difficult to translate. (Summarising and presenting facts is a whole other matter, however; that is much easier and does not involve so much brain-wracking.)
Translating can be hard, I'm not denying that. What I mean is that Pokemon is entirely a "childish" series, and as such would be mostly comprised of vocabulary and speech that is easy for younger audiences to understand. You wouldn't need a full-blown knowledge of the language to translate that, but at the same time, it's still too abstract for us pure English speakers to get it.

In any case... I was actually thinking of Pokémon fans that hate the anime when I made that post. Yes, they exist. I know one.
People still watch it, even the raw (due to lack of subs). :p

Edit: To everybody else who thinks the dub is good, that's fine, and your opinion. I personally don't mind what they do with the English version - bar the stupid cultural changes that seem to be so important, but nonetheless the show is still watchable. The reason for a sub is because you need to wait a year or even more after the episode airs in Japan to get a simple understanding of what it means, whereas if it were subbed, you'd only need to wait a few days for the release. If you read the first post, you'd understand that.

I also know there are some Japanese speakers who take interest in translating the series. The summaries on SPP are a good example (albeit some of them are clearly incorrect). Those resources are wasted on providing descriptions of each episode, which wouldn't be posted if people didn't care to know what happens. Throw some subs on top, and you've got a far larger crowd of pleased fans than you'd realise. This page proves it.

Last edited:
Interesting how this thread changed from "lets get people together to work on a sub" to "let's bitch about how the dub isn't that bad" . If you want to talk about that, please do it in a thread that ISN'T trying to get together people that WANT a sub.

There are other reasons for liking Japanese than thinking it makes you seem "cool". Maybe you actually like the Japanese. Maybe you don't like even the liberties they take with the translations. And you act like they perfectly translate EVERYTHING, which just isn't true. They like to add in cute little pairings like between Satoshi and Haruka, and earlier between Satoshi and Kasumi. Maybe you just like the Japanese voices better than the english voices. Maybe you like the Japanese music, OP & ED & BGM.

I really don't like how you imply that we are some massively obese anime fans living in our parent's basement, with our life size anime figures, who retardedly believes that our watching the Japanese version makes us somehow "superior" to those who watch the english version. However, I do believe that the Japanese version is superior to the English version, due to the fact that when ANYTHING goes through translation, things will be lost. When it goes through translation that is done to match lip-syncs, and americanization is much worse. I much prefer to watch it subbed, dubbed isn't completely horrible (at least not some modern dubs, the DiC stuff is completely and totally horrible).

But really, this isn't the thread for that, this thread is about subbing D/P, not about "which is better sub/dub". If you would like to get into that debate Misty then please, create a thread, don't pollute a thread with a different topic.

Anyway, I would like to at least try to help translate at least the first episode of D/P, assuming that school allows the time.

I would love to see subbed episodes of the new anime. I haven't see any from the original series and only a few from Advanced Generation. I have worked with numerous fansub groups in the past and would be willing to help out on this project. The new Diamond&Pearl games and series has got me interested in Pokemon again. Hopefully school will allow me to have a bit of free time to play these new games. Should be good!

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom