• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Sevii Islands in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire

Posting my thoughts originally posted mistakenly in the FRLG topic...

I really don't understand the logic of people saying that the Sevii Islands or a similar postgame area would detract from Hoenn and "take focus away from it". Hoenn is going to be in this game regardless of whether Sevii Islands is in or not. You might as well argue Sevii detracted focus from Kanto itself.

Arguably, Sevii DID detract focus from Kanto itself. The Kanto of FRLG was quite dull, largely being identical to the Kanto from the original games apart from updated tilesets. I'm not arguing that this was because of Sevii (Game Freak probably just hadn't decided how many liberties to allow themselves to take with the original games at that point), but the Sevii Islands did seem to be added in part to provide the largely flat and featureless Kanto region some much needed geographic diversity (and the biodiversity that came with it), including such locations as a volcano, ice cave, and ruins. But Hoenn already has a much more impressive volcano and plenty of ruins, and while only the deepest parts of Shoal Cave would qualify as an ice cave, I'd much rather Game Freak expand that cave than devote resources to including all of the Sevii Islands, since so much of them would be so redundant.

I suppose there would be benefits to bringing the Sevii Islands back, especially making Unown available again, since it has been unobtainable without transferring since Generation IV. But ultimately I'd prefer older Pokémon to be integrated into existing Hoenn locations, whether by expanding the Hoenn Dex or by making them available in the postgame through swarms or other means.

Kanto was always meant to go alongside, johto, which is why the sevii were added most probably. There was never a reason to place stuff that never was and it helped kanto in the long run. Now, even if hoenn has most of the stuff Sevii has, it would at least offer an interesting story, and arguably something different. I'm saying it again, I can see GF going for an open world experiment with the islands.

It would make sense to include them, Island 8 and 9 in the form of Navel Rock and Birth Island could be visited in Emerald. Hoenn could actually be close to the Sevii Islands. Since Hoenn is a more tropical atmosphere, it could be south of Johto, which would place it West of the Sevii Islands, which are South of Kanto. I think it should be only a post-game area, however, don't make it visitable until the main game is complete. Maybe Team Rocket will play a roll between the Islands and Hoenn in the post-game, I would like a story that would involve something like a Hoenn branch that got busted before it became big enough.

Last edited:
You know, I'm gonna make a wild guess. The big cloud in the south, east of the battle tower/frontier is really the nw corner of the Sevii islands. Sure, they're depicted as isolated islands, but they could in theory be a boat ride away from Hoenn.

You know, I'm gonna make a wild guess. The big cloud in the south, east of the battle tower/frontier is really the nw corner of the Sevii islands. Sure, they're depicted as isolated islands, but they could in theory be a boat ride away from Hoenn.
That wouldn't make much sense, and I have my doubts that the cloud hides anything more than the Battle Frontier. Look at how the Kalos map turned out despite the original clouds.

I'm saying it again, I can see GF going for an open world experiment with the islands.
What do you have in mind?

I'm a bit confused. By "open world" do you mean like, DLC regions? Sevii Islands would be a good area to test that idea with.

I'm a bit confused. By "open world" do you mean like, DLC regions? Sevii Islands would be a good area to test that idea with.
No, by that I mean open world. Like no routes bar the various paths, and going between islands mith surf.

That wouldn't make much sense, and I have my doubts that the cloud hides anything more than the Battle Frontier. Look at how the Kalos map turned out despite the original clouds.

I'm saying it again, I can see GF going for an open world experiment with the islands.
What do you have in mind?
Honestly, this time I think its different. Look at all the corner clouds for the routes, and then note how it it overlaps the one to the entrance to evergrande, like its superimposed to hide something, instead of blending in with it. As for my idea I said it already. Either an open ended battle frontier with facilities on each island or prelim islands. Then perhaps blending in a plot that is somewhat connected but isolated to each island. You have somethings that need top happen in order but most you don't. The plot would tie into the primals, the worlds formation, stuff like that.

Arguably, Sevii DID detract focus from Kanto itself. The Kanto of FRLG was quite dull, largely being identical to the Kanto from the original games apart from updated tilesets. I'm not arguing that this was because of Sevii (Game Freak probably just hadn't decided how many liberties to allow themselves to take with the original games at that point), but the Sevii Islands did seem to be added in part to provide the largely flat and featureless Kanto region some much needed geographic diversity (and the biodiversity that came with it), including such locations as a volcano, ice cave, and ruins. But Hoenn already has a much more impressive volcano and plenty of ruins, and while only the deepest parts of Shoal Cave would qualify as an ice cave, I'd much rather Game Freak expand that cave than devote resources to including all of the Sevii Islands, since so much of them would be so redundant.

I suppose there would be benefits to bringing the Sevii Islands back, especially making Unown available again, since it has been unobtainable without transferring since Generation IV. But ultimately I'd prefer older Pokémon to be integrated into existing Hoenn locations, whether by expanding the Hoenn Dex or by making them available in the postgame through swarms or other means.

I see what you mean, but I don't necessarily think Sevii would be all that redundant to Hoenn. Or at least, it shouldn't be. Me personally, I really like Icefall Cave, so I'd rather see it return than a place like Shoal Cave located in a very warm, tropical region suddenly become very expanded to become a 'proper' ice cave just for the sake of including more Ice-types or something. I'd love to see Mt. Ember return because I think it's perfect to stick some Legendaries in. I do want Swarms to return, but I'd really rather not see Game Freak come up with a huge number of ridiculous ways to fill up the PokéDex postgame (e.g. the Dongle method in D/P/Pt, or Hoenn and Sinnoh Sound in HG/SS) and would rather see more 'mons spread out on a place like Sevii.

I can see why people would want to see Hoenn expanded, but in terms of actual gameplay, I barely see any difference between adding new areas on a mainland region (e.g. Routes 47 and 48 in Johto) versus adding a brand-new area like Sevii, so I'd really prefer to see an underexposed area like Sevii return instead of adding new areas to Hoenn.

(Admittely, the Johto Safari Zone and Pal Park both wouldn't make much sense on an island region, but those are special cases since Pal Park. Somewhere like the Embedded Tower could have easily been on some distant island place and it would have been more-or-less the same.)

I also think Sevii would add a lot of value to the postgame area, since R/S/E didn't have much of a postgame (Battle Tower/Battle Frontier notwithstanding). This is all just my opinion, of course.

I see what you mean, but I don't necessarily think Sevii would be all that redundant to Hoenn. Or at least, it shouldn't be. Me personally, I really like Icefall Cave, so I'd rather see it return than a place like Shoal Cave located in a very warm, tropical region suddenly become very expanded to become a 'proper' ice cave just for the sake of including more Ice-types or something. I'd love to see Mt. Ember return because I think it's perfect to stick some Legendaries in. I do want Swarms to return, but I'd really rather not see Game Freak come up with a huge number of ridiculous ways to fill up the PokéDex postgame (e.g. the Dongle method in D/P/Pt, or Hoenn and Sinnoh Sound in HG/SS) and would rather see more 'mons spread out on a place like Sevii.

I can see why people would want to see Hoenn expanded, but in terms of actual gameplay, I barely see any difference between adding new areas on a mainland region (e.g. Routes 47 and 48 in Johto) versus adding a brand-new area like Sevii, so I'd really prefer to see an underexposed area like Sevii return instead of adding new areas to Hoenn.

(Admittely, the Johto Safari Zone and Pal Park both wouldn't make much sense on an island region, but those are special cases since Pal Park. Somewhere like the Embedded Tower could have easily been on some distant island place and it would have been more-or-less the same.)

I also think Sevii would add a lot of value to the postgame area, since R/S/E didn't have much of a postgame (Battle Tower/Battle Frontier notwithstanding). This is all just my opinion, of course.

The main reason I would prefer Hoenn expansions to the inclusion of the Sevii Islands is how disconnected the Sevii Islands are from both each other and other regions. Many people gripe about the tedium of Hoenn's expansive water routes, but personally I felt that they tied the region together, insofar as you could reach almost every part of the region by surfing (besides the Battle Tower/Frontier. The Sevii Islands were pretty much the opposite of that, with only a few areas in which to surf and strong currents which prevented travel from island to island without a boat.

The lack of a deep postgame to Ruby and Sapphire is a problem but I don't think that the Sevii Islands are necessarily the right solution to that. The Sevii Islands have little to do with Hoenn besides Brawly having formerly trained in Sevault Canyon and the event-exclusive islands returning in Emerald, and a whole lot to do with Kanto and Johto (with connections to several members of the Kanto Elite Four as well as Team Rocket). A better way to expand the Ruby and Sapphire postgame, in my opinion, would be to add content similar to that of Emerald (like the Battle Frontier and an expanded postgame Safari Zone) or entirely new content in Hoenn (such as the ability to track down and defeat the opposite version's villainous team, or the addition of legendary Pokémon like Regigigas). Additionally, I would personally like the inclusion of postgame capture methods akin to the Hoenn/Sinnoh sounds or dual slot method, since they gave additional reasons to return to earlier routes and increased the amount of biodiversity in their respective regions.

Crazy bats@@@ insane idea 99:
The triangle on the granite cave mural is birth island falling to earth. The meteorite is the triangle inside it.

Since people have mentioned that the Sevii Islands would let us access ruins to catch Unown, a similar thought regarding Pokémon availability came to mind. Does anyone else remember that Braille was present in both Mt. Ember in Knot/One Island and in the Dotted Hole from Fortune/Six Island? Basically, I'm thinking that after you catch all three Regis in Hoenn that maybe you'd be able to catch Regigigas one one of those islands instead of returning to the Sealed Chamber.

Since Hoenn now has less water I'd imagine there to be some form of islands or something you can access post game since it is a remake and in Emerald just the battle frontier isn't going to please a lot of fans especially since many people were displeased with that amount of post game and X and Y's.

As to what the islands are used for I don't know, possibly getting some legendaries or extra story after.

Ugh, this thread is still open?

Yeah, I don't think there's going to be a Sevii Islands, or any significant post game section judging by the map. There's simply not much room for new areas to be hiding, and Hoenn is too large to need a mini region like the Sevii Islands. It's probably just going to be the Battle Frontier, Sky Pillar, Desert Underpass, and maybe one or two more areas if we're lucky.

I've seen some people suggest that that new ruins should be added to one of the unused Hoenn islands, but that's exactly the kind of approach that bothers me: adding new islands only to carry over elements from the Sevii Islands. I'd much rather see the Tanoby Ruins with new chambers and puzzles than see them re-created in Hoenn.

The Tanoby Ruins themselves were just a way to carry over Ruins of Alph into the Sevii Islands. And they've done the same thing with Moss/Ice Rock and electromagnetic areas, we've seen those spammed to high heavens in every region. They're more worried about functionality than they are uniqueness.

I do want Swarms to return, but I'd really rather not see Game Freak come up with a huge number of ridiculous ways to fill up the PokéDex postgame (e.g. the Dongle method in D/P/Pt, or Hoenn and Sinnoh Sound in HG/SS) and would rather see more 'mons spread out on a place like Sevii.

Well what do you expect when Pokemon games nowadays need 500+ Pokemon in them? Unless they plan on expanding the Hoenn Dex, that's the only way they can add more Pokemon to the game.

Last edited:
Ugh, this thread is still open?
Yes? Is there any reason why it should be closed? Maybe you'd have a point if we knew that Hoenn is getting an expansion, but that isn't the case as you said yourself.

It's probably just going to be the Battle Frontier, Sky Pillar, Desert Underpass, and maybe one or two more areas if we're lucky.
So barely anything more than what Emerald had? Even though these games are being released 10 years later and there are still four months left to cover new features? I'd imagine that by next month they'll reveal Contests and the remaining Gym Leaders and Elite Four, in addition to the Mega Evolution scoop. Then in September the largest scoop will probably be the Battle Frontier. That still leaves two more months for additional features, and there really isn't anything else from the original games which would be considered that big.

The Tanoby Ruins themselves were just a way to carry over Ruins of Alph into the Sevii Islands. And they've done the same thing with Moss/Ice Rock and electromagnetic areas, we've seen those spammed to high heavens in every region. They're more worried about functionality than they are uniqueness.
The Moss and Ice Rocks aren't locations. The Tanoby Ruins were at the very least designed for the Sevii Islands; they weren't added to them retroactively just to make the Unown available. They certainly aren't a carbon copy of the Ruins of Alph, considering that they're located in a sea route and they lack puzzles. A Hoenn equivalent would probably be just like the Tanoby Ruins, which would be a new low as far recycling content goes. I'd much rather see the Tanoby Ruins be fleshed upon and given their own niche, as well as an established link to the Ruins of Alph's history.

Well what do you expect when Pokemon games nowadays need 500+ Pokemon in them? Unless they plan on expanding the Hoenn Dex, that's the only way they can add more Pokemon to the game.
Ambipom666 clearly said that he was hoping to see the post-game Pokémon be regularly obtainable on the Sevii Islands without gimmicky methods. So no, a Hoenn Pokédex expansion isn't the only way.

So barely anything more than what Emerald had? Even though these games are being released 10 years later and there are still four months left to cover new features? I'd imagine that by next month they'll reveal Contests and the remaining Gym Leaders and Elite Four, in addition to the Mega Evolution scoop. Then in September the largest scoop will probably be the Battle Frontier. That still leaves two more months for additional features, and there really isn't anything else from the original games which would be considered that big.

I meant in terms of areas, there seems to be very few opportunities to explore new locations based on the map. In terms of additional features, that's anyone's guess, but I agree it probably won't be so few.

The Moss and Ice Rocks aren't locations. The Tanoby Ruins were at the very least designed for the Sevii Islands; they weren't added to them retroactively just to make the Unown available. They certainly aren't a carbon copy of the Ruins of Alph, considering that they're located in a sea route and they lack puzzles. A Hoenn equivalent would probably be just like the Tanoby Ruins, which would be a new low as far recycling content goes. I'd much rather see the Tanoby Ruins be fleshed upon and given their own niche, as well as an established link to the Ruins of Alph's history.

If they can BS the Tanoby Ruins into the Sevii Islands, they can do the same with Hoenn. Just because both regions are island areas doesn't mean they'd be "recycling" content, they can easily design a unique area for the Unown in the same type of environment. Also, I wouldn't put them in an island area anyway, I'd put them somewhere around Rt. 111 (by way of Desert Underpass).

Ambipom666 clearly said that he was hoping to see the post-game Pokémon be regularly obtainable on the Sevii Islands without gimmicky methods. So no, a Hoenn Pokédex expansion isn't the only way.

Yeah, it is. There's only so much they can do with a limited amount of areas, and if they keep the majority of those areas in the main game, that limits them even further. If they want there to be about as many Pokemon in this game as there were in XY (I would say 550-600 would be reasonable), then they have about 200-300 to add to this game somehow. So you have several hundred Pokemon added to what is likely only going to be a handful of post game areas, that's clearly not going to work without shoehorning them in somewhere. The only way they can get those numbers short of doubling the original Hoenn Dex (which I don't think is going to happen) is with gimmicks that allow them to appear in main game areas such as Swarms or the Pokeradar, or with some kind of area that distributes tons of Pokemon such as the Friend Safari. And IDK what exactly Ambipom666's definition of "gimmick" is, but I'd say either one of those solutions would be gimmicky. The problem is pretty much unavoidable at this point, there's far more Pokemon to be distributed than they can fit in through normal methods, and having to hold off non-regional dex Pokemon until post game only makes things worse.

I meant in terms of areas, there seems to be very few opportunities to explore new locations based on the map. In terms of additional features, that's anyone's guess, but I agree it probably won't be so few.

If they can BS the Tanoby Ruins into the Sevii Islands, they can do the same with Hoenn. Just because both regions are island areas doesn't mean they'd be "recycling" content, they can easily design a unique area for the Unown in the same type of environment. Also, I wouldn't put them in an island area anyway, I'd put them somewhere around Rt. 111 (by way of Desert Underpass).

Yeah, it is. There's only so much they can do with a limited amount of areas, and if they keep the majority of those areas in the main game, that limits them even further. If they want there to be about as many Pokemon in this game as there were in XY (I would say 550-600 would be reasonable), then they have about 200-300 to add to this game somehow. So you have several hundred Pokemon added to what is likely only going to be a handful of post game areas, that's clearly not going to work without shoehorning them in somewhere. The only way they can get those numbers short of doubling the original Hoenn Dex (which I don't think is going to happen) is with gimmicks that allow them to appear in main game areas such as Swarms or the Pokeradar, or with some kind of area that distributes tons of Pokemon such as the Friend Safari. And IDK what exactly Ambipom666's definition of "gimmick" is, but I'd say either one of those solutions would be gimmicky. The problem is pretty much unavoidable at this point, there's far more Pokemon to be distributed than they can fit in through normal methods, and having to hold off non-regional dex Pokemon until post game only makes things worse.

The bold gave me an idea they can put unknown in the sealed chamber or the regi chambers and change the brailie to unknon writing.

I meant in terms of areas, there seems to be very few opportunities to explore new locations based on the map.
Which is one of the reasons why some of us aren't assuming that Hoenn has to be the extent of the games' content.

If they can BS the Tanoby Ruins into the Sevii Islands,
BS? There was no retcon involved. We knew from Crystal that the Ruins of Alph were built by a civilization that left Johto, so it stood reason that they could have built similar places elsewhere. The Tanoby Ruins didn't magically appear in the Sevii Islands; they were introduced alongside them. What you're suggesting is "BS" because Hoenn never had Unown ruins.

Just because both regions are island areas doesn't mean they'd be "recycling" content, they can easily design a unique area for the Unown in the same type of environment.
I meant that creating new islets for Unown ruins would be essentially copying/pasting the Tanoby Ruins.

Also, I wouldn't put them in an island area anyway, I'd put them somewhere around Rt. 111 (by way of Desert Underpass).
The new Hoenn map doesn't show any landmark in that route aside from Regirock's Desert Ruins. Why should there be more desert ruins, anyway? Speaking of the Desert Underpass, the Mirage Tower is notably absent. It makes sense that Game Freak don't want to give us access to both fossils as they did in Emerald, and the Mirage Tower and Desert Underpass served little purpose other than that (Ditto could have been found in the Safari Zone extension or the Battle Frontier).

then they have about 200-300 to add to this game somehow.
More like 370 if they want to complement Emerald's count so that it equals XY's.

So you have several hundred Pokemon added to what is likely only going to be a handful of post game areas, that's clearly not going to work without shoehorning them in somewhere. The only way they can get those numbers short of doubling the original Hoenn Dex (which I don't think is going to happen) is with gimmicks that allow them to appear in main game areas such as Swarms or the Pokeradar, or with some kind of area that distributes tons of Pokemon such as the Friend Safari. And IDK what exactly Ambipom666's definition of "gimmick" is, but I'd say either one of those solutions would be gimmicky. The problem is pretty much unavoidable at this point, there's far more Pokemon to be distributed than they can fit in through normal methods, and having to hold off non-regional dex Pokemon until post game only makes things worse.
What you fail to understand is that some of us don't think it's a good idea for the majority of Pokémon to be relegated to gimmicky methods instead of regular locations. That's part of the reason why we don't think that Hoenn is "too big" if it can't accommodate at least 400 Pokémon by normal means (which it can't under the reasonable assumption that there is no significant Pokédex expansion). The minority should be found by special means, but then the majority warrant varied post-game locations.

Which is one of the reasons why some of us aren't assuming that Hoenn has to be the extent of the games' content.

I believe you said this yourself in another thread, XY's map looked promising in terms of post game content and all we got under the clouds in Kiloude City. It would be wise to keep your expectations low here, they could easily be hiding nothing.

Which is the reason why I question the value of this thread, it's baseless speculation and there's no real reason to expect it.

BS? There was no retcon involved. We knew from Crystal that the Ruins of Alph were built by a civilization that left Johto, so it stood reason that they could have built similar places elsewhere. The Tanoby Ruins didn't magically appear in the Sevii Islands; they were introduced alongside them. What you're suggesting is "BS" because Hoenn never had Unown ruins.

Implying that retcons are a totally new and shocking thing in a remake.

I meant that creating new islets for Unown ruins would be essentially copying/pasting the Tanoby Ruins.

No, no it's not. There are many ways to go about including an Unown ruins, in fact every region they've appeared in was completely different. It would only be a copy/paste if they used the exact same layout.

The new Hoenn map doesn't show any landmark in that route aside from Regirock's Desert Ruins.

The mention of "Desert Underpass" should've hinted to you that the ruins would be underground, and thus not visible on the map.

Why should there be more desert ruins, anyway?

Including Unown isn't reason enough?

Speaking of the Desert Underpass, the Mirage Tower is notably absent. It makes sense that Game Freak don't want to give us access to both fossils as they did in Emerald, and the Mirage Tower and Desert Underpass served little purpose other than that (Ditto could have been found in the Safari Zone extension or the Battle Frontier).

Right, but one thing that recent games have done that they could use Desert Underpass for is distributing National Dex fossils, so it could still serve a purpose. Maybe if you could obtain fossils in some way (Rock Smash perhaps) in the area where you obtained the other fossil in Emerald.

More like 370 if they want to complement Emerald's count so that it equals XY's.

I honestly don't think it'd be too big a deal if ORAS had slightly less than XY, but whatever, that only helps my point.

What you fail to understand is that some of us don't think it's a good idea for the majority of Pokémon to be relegated to gimmicky methods instead of regular locations.

I get that. What I'm saying is that it may be impossible for the majority of Pokemon to be available through normal means. There's 200 Pokemon in the Hoenn Dex, and 596 Pokemon obtainable in XY. So if ORAS is to match XY in terms of number of Pokemon available, they need to add 396 Pokemon to the game. Now there's a lot of different ways that we can do that, but if we remain pessimistic and say there's no dex expansion (aside from adding the handful of cross gen evos) and few new areas, which is a pretty likely scenario from the looks of it, nearly all of these 396 will need to be obtained in the older areas through post game gimmicks.

That's part of the reason why we don't think that Hoenn is "too big" if it can't accommodate at least 400 Pokémon by normal means (which it can't under the reasonable assumption that there is no significant Pokédex expansion). The minority should be found by special means, but then the majority warrant varied post-game locations.

There's other factors involved that prevent Hoenn from getting a giant expansion, mainly regarding game size, level pacing, and time constraints (which are probably reasons why XY doesn't have a large post game either). Those all supersede the need for more areas to fit new Pokemon, which they can easily include through other means.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom