• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

Re: Simple Questions Simple Answers (XY Edition)

Has anyone tried breeding for 6 perfect stats? My way of thinking was that if you ignore nature (hence no everstone), you can let one parent hold destiny knot and one parent hold a power item. The power item guarantees one IV while destiny knot passes down the other 5. If anyone can confirm this that be great.
From what I found out there, there is a chance that the Destiny Knot picks the same IV as the Power item so it might not work out.
Pokémon X&Y: Breeding Flawless IVs

Also, I've seen a source where the Destiny Knot supersedes the IV from the Power item. (imperfect IV from one parent replaces perfect IV from Power item)

Haha think I've considered this before, from the statistics I figured it'd be better to trust generating a random IV rather than the nature. Contented myself to just make quint flawless Pokemon (for now).

Do the XY Dailies (Battle Chateau, Berry Fields, etc) all reset at midnight by the time on your DS or 24 hours since you last did them like how Dream World was?

This could probably be put in another thread, but it is relevant to X and Y for me. When breeding two different Pokemon for the same egg group, can the male pass down the Hidden Ability trait to the offspring?
Example: Male Blastoise with Rain Dish mates with Female Greninja. Can Froakie inherit Protean because Greninja mated with a Blastoise that had it's Hidden Ability?

Re: Question to XY Breeders

Power items work in conjunction with "Destiny Bond", so it's even easier now to get the stats needed on a parent or two.
Could you explain this bit a little more for me? I know the power items will pass their respective IV, how does Destiny Bond affect breeding?

Question about the Friend Safari. According to Serebii:

With each person, you get up to three Pokémon within each specific area, with the third Pokémon appearing should the person have defeated the Elite Four, with them getting Hidden Abilities if the player has been online at the same time as you. It also appears that the Pokémon found within the Friend Safari have got two IVs of 31.

Does this mean the player has to be online at the same time as you or that they have simply at one point, been online at the same time as you?

Appears to be working fine now, seems i've overseen the part that it cannot be used everywhere + you have to be in a grass/flower field in order to activate the Radar. (as example, i can't use it in the Friend Safari)
However, After hours of trying i was still not able to encounter my first shiny yet D:<

The part i was overseeing was indeed the part with the Skates on, but yeah... such a bummer i can't use this thing in the Friend Safari :/

Question about the Friend Safari. According to Serebii:

With each person, you get up to three Pokémon within each specific area, with the third Pokémon appearing should the person have defeated the Elite Four, with them getting Hidden Abilities if the player has been online at the same time as you. It also appears that the Pokémon found within the Friend Safari have got two IVs of 31.

Does this mean the player has to be online at the same time as you or that they have simply at one point, been online at the same time as you?
I tried this just now, I was able to catch an HA Espurr but my friend was offline. I was online at the time so not sure if it matters if you are offline.

Conversely, I was trying to look for Espurr on another friend's safari that only has 2 Pokemon in it and did not run into any HA Espurr.

1. Has anyone had communications issues in the game's online features? If I try to use any of them, they work fine, but then I get disconnected after exactly 1 minute with a "Communication with the server was interrupted" error. No matter what I'm doing, whether it be the GTS or even simply leaving the PSS open, I'll get a communication error after a set amount of time.
Maybe it's my college's internet, but the rest of the 3DS' online stuff works perfectly fine. I also didn't have any problems with getting the event Torchic.

Same here actually! I seem to be the only one of my friends complaining of this :u

Power items work in conjunction with "Destiny Bond", so it's even easier now to get the stats needed on a parent or two.
Could you explain this bit a little more for me? I know the power items will pass their respective IV, how does Destiny Bond affect breeding?

I think they mean the item "Destiny Knot", not the move, Destiny Bond. The Destiny Knot now ensures (for w/e reason), that the offspring will inherit 5 of that parent's IVs.

This could probably be put in another thread, but it is relevant to X and Y for me. When breeding two different Pokemon for the same egg group, can the male pass down the Hidden Ability trait to the offspring?
Example: Male Blastoise with Rain Dish mates with Female Greninja. Can Froakie inherit Protean because Greninja mated with a Blastoise that had it's Hidden Ability?

Breeding doesn't work like that. In order for the offspring to inherit a Hidden/Dream World ability, the female must be the one to have the H/DW ability as the offspring are the same species as w/e the female is. Now, if you have a male with a H/DW ability, in order to get another of it's species with a chance of passing on that ability, you'd need to breed it with ditto, as ditto breeding makes the offspring w/e the non-ditto parent's species is.

To note though, this only applies in X and Y, In Black/White and Black2/White2, breeding with ditto will ensure the offspring will never have a hidden ability.

Last edited:

I think they mean the item "Destiny Knot", not the move, Destiny Bond. The Destiny Knot now ensures (for w/e reason), that the offspring will inherit 5 of that parent's IVs.

Ah. So if one parent holds a power item and the other holds a Destiny knot, the power parent will transfer its respective IV and the Destiny Knot parent will pass the other 5?

Ah. So if one parent holds a power item and the other holds a Destiny knot, the power parent will transfer its respective IV and the Destiny Knot parent will pass the other 5?
Not necessarily, the Destiny Knot picks any 5 IVs from either parent so it could be a combination of IVs from both parents.

Also one of the IVs from Destiny Knot can be the same stat as the Power item and if it chooses the IV from the non-Power item parent then that is what is inherited.

I got a female Quilladin on GTS and bred it. All of the eggs and baby Chespin are now contained in timer balls. Why timer balls of all things?

When you breed Pokemon, the game now uses Poke balls that are in your bag to contain them.

It wouldn't use up the master ball would it? o.o

I thought it was based on the ball of one of the parents; not a random ball in your bag.

I have more regular Pokeballs in my bag than anything else,

How would the mother have gotten into a timer ball to begin with? Chespin is either given to you in a pokeball or bred from a Chespin that was given to it's OT in a pokeball.
There is an area post-game (Friend Safari) where you are able to catch Pokemon with Hidden Abilities, the Kalos/Kanto starters can be found in the wild there.

So the baby's come in the same ball as the mother, regardless of what you have in your bag? Thanks.

So here's a related puzzler,

The mother (A female Quilladin in a Timer Ball that I got from Korea on GTS) has it's hidden ability, Bulletproof.
A hidden ability can only be passed down by the mother, but not if the father is a ditto.
All of the offspring hatch in Timer Balls. One of them has Bulletproof, but it is a male.

Is there any way, with only these pokemon at my disposal:

female Quilladin, in a Timer ball with bulletproof,
male Chespin, in a Timer ball with bulletproof,
male Chespin in a regular Pokeball with Overgrow,
Ditto in a regula Pokeball,

That I can get a baby Chespin in a regular pokeball with Bulletproof?

I believe it was changed this Gen so that a father Pokemon can pass down its hidden ability. You don't have to rely on a female to pass it.

I've got my own question about the breeding mechanics of this game.

A friend gave me their Jolly natured Trapinch they caught in the Friend Safari so that I could breed it for my own Jolly natured Trapinch. It was level 30 and I bred it with a Ditto. But when the egg hatched, I was surprised to find that the child was actually born with Superpower and Fissure, moves that Trapinch don't normally know until level 67 and 73. The Trapinch from the Friend Safari did not know these moves, and the mother was a Ditto, so I am puzzled why the child was still born with these. Not that I can complain, but its an oddity to me. My same friend also mentioned seeing their Phantump eggs hatching with moves they do not normally start off with either. Was there some kind of change to the breeding mechanics that caused this, and what is it doing exactly?

So here's a related puzzler,

The mother (A female Quilladin in a Timer Ball that I got from Korea on GTS) has it's hidden ability, Bulletproof.
A hidden ability can only be passed down by the mother, but not if the father is a ditto.
All of the offspring hatch in Timer Balls. One of them has Bulletproof, but it is a male.

Is there any way, with only these pokemon at my disposal:

female Quilladin, in a Timer ball with bulletproof,
male Chespin, in a Timer ball with bulletproof,
male Chespin in a regular Pokeball with Overgrow,
Ditto in a regula Pokeball,

Haha I was imagining cartoon-style characters acting this out.

Male Bulletproof Chespin in Timer Ball with Ditto in regular Pokeball would give you Bulletproof Chespins in regular Pokeballs. The captured Pokeball is only transferred from the mother, so Male + Ditto would give you regular Pokeballs. (Now would the mother + Ditto give you the same result?)

Just happened to me in-game earlier today with my HA Male Espurr (Premier Ball) + Ditto (Ultra Ball)...eggs kept churning out in Pokeballs :/

Re: Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gen 5)

Hi everyone!
While saving money to buy my 3DS and Pokemon X (or Y) for it, I was wondering what should I buy to tide me over until that happens. Normally White 2 for my DS Lite would be a no-brainer, but I have this crazy plan to catch every single pokemon in my collection by myself! Would this be possible to do with a DS Lite and a 3DS? And if so, how many games do I need to make it happen?
Thank you for your time! :)

I've been looking up on the Internet for awhile, and been smashing rocks, and used the Dowsing Machine to look for hidden items, but...

I CANNOT FIND A FLYING GEM ANYWHERE!

Where can I find the darn Flying Gem? I can't seem to find it anywhere! Is it even in the game?

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom