• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Something's wrong with Chatot...

Blackjack Gabbiani

Back due to popular demand!
Reaction score
So Chatot is pretty obviously a parrot, right? Well, it's missing something that defines parrots.

Look at the feet (screenshot from Filb). Chatot has three toes in the front and one in the back. Like most bird, right? Only parrots are different. From Wikipedia:

All parrots are zygodactyl, with two toes at the front of each foot and two at the back

On a semi-related note, if they ever made another parrot, they need to base it off the Eclectus parrot because males and females look so different.

Anatompwned.

...uh, I don't remember the policy re: one-word posts, so here's some other things that make this more than one post. I'm over 4,000 years old! That was an ATHF quote.

yeah, and Arbok and Habunake have eyelids. Face it, you can't expect the Pokemon designs to perfectly resemble their base creature right down to the small details.

So Chatot is pretty obviously a parrot, right?

Actually it's a black masked lovebird.

munchkin_yourbirds.jpg

Actually it's a black masked lovebird.

munchkin_yourbirds.jpg

...which is a parrot. And has zygodactyl feet. :drowsy:

On the relevant side of things, Hoothoot and Noctowl also have the same discrepancy from their real-life inspiration, owls. Owls ostensibly have zygodactyl feet as well, although the fourth toe can swivel so it's pointing more or less forward to make an anisodactyl foot (classic "bird foot" with the first toe pointing backward and three other toes in front). Hoothoot's toes look like they all point forward; Noctowl has anisodactyl feet.

http://people.eku.edu/ritchisong/birdfeet.html

Chatot's design is the worse error though. I'd probably draw him with zygodactyl feet just because I'm a bird geek like that... :D

Wow, your observant. It took me till two days ago to notice that Chatots head resembles a musical note XD

music-note.gif

perappu3.jpg

I've never seen Seviper close his eyes though Yamato, unlike Arbok.

I may not be a bird dork, but I'm a music dork (minoring in it, woo!) and I find the amount of pokemon related to music this round (three) to be w00tful XD

Kricketot resembles a metronome in some aspects (old timey ones) though they are so out of date and stereotypical of music that Chatot's tail is a bit appaling. I like to pretend that it's a conductor's baton.

Also, Krckitune (the evol) looks like a string instrument in some aspects and also my high school band director, which is why I named him Mr. Turner XD

They should create some more original music-related pokemon as Chatot don't even really sing but mimic.

yeah, this pointless rant was brought to you by a band nerd.

This makes me think of the numerious bird-Pokemon I've seen who have a grand total of only three toes; two in front and one in the back of the foot. Some that come quickly to my mind are Pidgey, Pidgeotto and Spearow (which I have seen having both a grand total of three and four toes, depending on artist and media). Bodily, they resemble "perching birds" a large group of birds which have THREE toes on the front and one in back.

I don't believe I know of any real-world birds who have three toes on each foot (maybe the ostrich, but I'm about 90% sure that they have only two large front toes and no back toes at all). By saying this, I'm not harping on Pokemon designers...I just think this topic is an interesting one to think about!

By the way, those lovebirds are ADORABLE! <3

I second the movement for more music pokemon. I've always wanted a shamisen pokemon after gold. It would be so cute ^^

Actually I'd love to have seen baby pokemon which were shaped like notes.

I may not be a bird dork, but I'm a music dork (minoring in it, woo!) and I find the amount of pokemon related to music this round (three) to be w00tful XD

Kricketot resembles a metronome in some aspects (old timey ones) though they are so out of date and stereotypical of music that Chatot's tail is a bit appaling. I like to pretend that it's a conductor's baton.

Also, Krckitune (the evol) looks like a string instrument in some aspects and also my high school band director, which is why I named him Mr. Turner XD

They should create some more original music-related pokemon as Chatot don't even really sing but mimic.

yeah, this pointless rant was brought to you by a band nerd.

You're not alone haha. I thought when they released his silhouette he WOULD be a music based Pokemon. I was all bummed when I found out he just mimicked

:(

Maybe a round little baby Chatot that looks like a whole note.

I figured Chatot would be the baby form (the "ot" here comes from parrot, but it also looks like "tot", which, like "tyke" usually indicates a baby, or at least that there should be something after it).

What would the evolved form be? I figured maybe a macaw (Chataw?).

Mr. Turner fucking rules becayse he was good enough to be a nickname of the maestro of majesty that is Kricketune.

God, did I mention I love them? If music Pokemon look like that, I want MOAR!

Tuba Anteater!!!

XD I'll tell Turner he is you approved.

Tuba anteater rules *drool*

OH Farfetch'd could have an evol that cuts the leak it carries into a flute and uses it for attacks *plays it and such* that would be awesome!

I don't believe I know of any real-world birds who have three toes on each foot (maybe the ostrich, but I'm about 90% sure that they have only two large front toes and no back toes at all).

Emus have 3 toes. I don't know any others, offhand. Ostrich, yes, have only 2.

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom