• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mafia Space Race Mafia - Day 4 - Project Apollo (2/6/2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Space Race Mafia - Day 1 - Project Vanguard (Subs still welcome)

Sorry for replying late MM.

I think Phoenicks reasons for starting the bandwagon are legitimate. And I agree with Master Mew's argument, There is no time to loose.

Now, Soulmaster seems like pushing ties all over. In a game where scumhunting is everything, he is the odd one out. However, I'm refraining from voting just yet.

@Master Mew;

Hello. :)

In a small game like this, I don't think it would be wise to lynch anyone just yet, so I will Vote: No Lynch​.

@Zima; Please re-read this post, with particular attention to the section labelled "Setup Analysis."

Let me know what was wrong with my analysis, please. :)

Huh. In that case,

​Vote: Soulmaster

I've read this.

Unvote: twinArmageddons

Vote: Soulmaster

Soulmaster has 4/9 votes. Next vote for him will be hammer.

@Soulmaster I'd definitely like to hear from you before the deadline, for obvious reasons.

@Soulmaster I'd definitely like to hear from you before the deadline, for obvious reasons.
Fair enough. I can and can't understand your reason for voting me. While not lynching today will make it harder won't lynching a townie not be any better? And you should know that I don't really like lynching without a good reason.

Fair enough. I can and can't understand your reason for voting me.

I can't and can't understand what this means.

While not lynching today will make it harder won't lynching a townie not be any better?

If we're lynching one, let us know.

And you should know that I don't really like lynching without a good reason.

Master Mew said:
We start with 9 players, two of which are scum. Thus, we can mislynch twice before we enter LYLO (lynch-or-lose). Thus, we must lynch correctly 50% of the time to win.

Alternatively, if we were to no lynch today, we would only have one mislynch before entering MYLO (mislynch-or-lose). Thus, we would have to lynch correctly 66% of the time to win. This is nearly insurmountable for Bulba Towns in my experience.

Conclusion: No Lynching is not really an option today, and won't be at any point in the game barring a successful Doctor protection.
?

Despite Krushchev's seemingly impossible deadline, Korolev and his engineers manage to launch another satellite into orbit on November 3, 1957. This satellite contained the dog Laika, who would be used to test the conditions of space on a living animal. Korolev wasn't beating around the bush with his intentions; he wanted to send humans to space, and he wanted to do it soon.

In The West, the Americans struggled to catch up with the Soviets, who now had sent two satellites into orbit to their zero. Project Vanguard was rushed into action, which resulted in a failure on the launch pad during their launch attempt on December 6, which was captured on live television. This failure prompted the Soviet ambassador to the UN to jokingly offer aide to developing countries to the United States.

Fortunately for the Americans, Von Braun and his team had their backs. On January 31, 1958, the Explorer 1 satellite was successfully launched into orbit using a variant of the Redstone rocket called the Juno 1. Although it was the third satellite in orbit, it returned the most valuable scientific data, leading to the discovery of the Van Allen radiation belt. On July 29 of that year, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration was formed, replacing its less focused predecessor, the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics.

Now that both sides have demonstrated that they can send a satellite into space, it was time for the next phase of the space race: human space flight...

No one was lynched.

It is now Night 1. The thread will be locked until the phase ends at 11:00 PM EST on January 26.

What the heck?

Err... Majority WAS reached.

Nope, I'm not wrong this time. Soulmaster only received 4 votes, a majority would have been 5. Now stop posting, you're not allowed to post during the night phase.

In the mid 1950s, the United States Air Force designed a program called Man In Space Soonest in order to try to beat the Russians at sending a human to outer space. with the creation of NASA in July 1958, this program was replaced with Project Mercury. Seven test pilots were chosen to be the first humans in space, and were known as the Mercury Seven. Among them were famous astronauts Gus Grissom, Alan Shepherd and John Glenn.

The Mercury Program initially planned to use another variation of Von Braun's Redstone rocket to launch a human into space. While the Mercury Redstone launches would send the first Americans into space, the rocket was not powerful enough to put that kind of weight into Earth orbit. For that task, the Atlas intercontinental ballistic missile would have to be used. Unfortunately for the Americans, the nuclear warhead that the Atlas was designed to carry was much lighter than the Soviets'. For this reason, the Atlas was not as robust as Korolev's R-7 and therefore required a lot of work before it was ready for the Mercury program. The Americans had an up hill battle ahead of them if they wanted to catch up to the Soviets.

In the East, the Soviets were also looking to manned space flight. In 1960, twenty Soviet Air Force pilots were chosen for training as cosmonauts. From these twenty, six were chosen to be the first humans in space. These men were known as the Sochi Six, and among them were famous cosmonauts Yuri Gagarin and Alexei Leonov. In order to get them into space, Korolev began work on the Vostok program. Yet another version of his R-7 rocket was planned to launch the Vostok spacecraft into orbit.

Soviet rocket scientist Vladimir Chelomei had been one of Korolev's internal competitors as a ballistic missile designer. Though Korolev had gained much prestige within the Soviet rocket community for his achievements in space, Chelomei's UR-100 rocket was much more successful as a ballistic missile.

It was a cold morning at Baikonur Cosmodrome when Chelomei was personally evaluating a UR-100 test flight. Tragically, a leak in a fuel line caused a massive explosion on the launch pad at takeoff. Those who were not killed by the initial blast instead succumbed to the toxic fumes released by the explosion. Chelomei was one of the victims. He never got to see the end of his new UR-500 project.

Neon Borealis, you are Vladimir Chelomei.

Vladimir_Chelomei.jpg

You are a Soviet rocket scientist famous for designing the [wp]Proton rocket[/wp].

You attended Kiev Polytechnic Institute in 1932, and published your first book, Vector Analysis, in 1936. Your main interests were mechanics and the theory of oscillations. You worked at Baranov Central Institute of Aviation Motor Building in Moscow, where you created the first Soviet pulsating air jet engine in 1942. You were appointed Director and chief Designer of Plant N51 soon after, where you designed and successfully tested the first Soviet cruise missile.

After the war, you became the head of the OKB-52 design bureau, which was established to design pilotless aircraft. There you continued your work on cruise missiles. In 1958, OKB-52 put forth a proposal for a multi-stage intercontinental ballistic missile, and the UR-100 rocket was accepted.

Like other design bureaus that worked on ICBMs such as Sergei Korolev's OKB-1, OKB-52 soon began work on spacecraft. In 1961, you began work on the UR-500 rocket, a much more powerful ICBM. This rocket became the Proton, which is still used to this day to send satellites and supplies into space. During the Soviet moon landing program, you were Korolev's internal competitor, proposing to use your Proton rocket instead of his R-7.

You are a vanilla townie.

You are aligned with the Soviet Space Program. You win when all members of NASA are dead.

After the space race: After the Soviet moon landing program was canceled, Chelomei's OKB went on to work on the Salyut space station family, which became the basis of the Salyut, Mir, and Zvezda space stations. To support these stations, he designed the TKS spacecraft as an alternative to the Soyuz, which never flew. Chelomei died in Moscow in 1984, age 70.

Neon Borealis, Vladimir Chelomei, was killed. He was Soviet.

It is now Day 2. You may vote on who you want to lynch. There are 8 players, therefore 5 votes are required for a majority. This phase ends on January 29 at 11:00 PM EST if a majority is not reached.

Re: Space Race Mafia - Day 2 - Project Mercury (1/26/2013)

o_O

That was pretty unexpected. I thought mafiyas would get rid of potential dangerous townies as fast as possible?

@Orion
@twinArmageddons
@Phoenicks

You did not have an active vote placed at the deadline.

1.) Why did you not hammer Soulmaster?

2.) Why did you not present an alternative wagon?

o_O

That was pretty unexpected. I thought mafiyas would get rid of potential dangerous townies as fast as possible?

And what are you implying with that??? Well, it doesn't matter. Water under the bridge.

Sigh... anyways, this is pretty much expected for me in these kinds of games. Good luck town.

o_O

Three things about this post:

1. Neon took offense to it, which is what initially brought my attention to it. You aren't a rude person, so I'm sure you didn't mean to offend him, but it leads me to ask why you made this observation.

2. You appear to be preparing to use the nightkill as evidence to justify lynching pro-town players.

3. The phrasing seems overly cautious. The word "potential" feels awkward, as though it was added as an afterthought.

Vote: Dark Blueberry

For now.

o_O

Three things about this post:

1. Neon took offense to it, which is what initially brought my attention to it. You aren't a rude person, so I'm sure you didn't mean to offend him, but it leads me to ask why you made this observation.

2. You appear to be preparing to use the nightkill as evidence to justify lynching pro-town players.

3. The phrasing seems overly cautious. The word "potential" feels awkward, as though it was added as an afterthought.

Vote: Dark Blueberry

For now.

Dangerous Townies = Townies that are a threat to Mafiyas = Townies with good scum-reading = Townies who had shown some good 'reads'/analysis on the previous Day phase(s), and made the mafia feel that they need to get rid of that player as soon as possible.

I'd get rid of townies who do a lot of analysis in the main thread if I were mafia - and we can see that there are certain players who have been getting reasonable analysis done. Imo, they would be on my priority nightkill list, and be gone by at least Night 3 to ensure the townies do not have any good 'readers' left. So how do we know who's a good 'reader'? By looking at the main thread since private communications are not allowed. Even if one IS a very good player, if the number of posts are small, there is a limit to know how much of a threat that person might be. We had only gotten through Day 1, and Neon didn't post much anything - therefore, was not a threat to the mafia, yet. That was why his death was unexpected - to me, at least. Of course, those who had played with Neon in the past might know how well he 'reads', and targeted him right off the bat. But past games are past games - I'm only using the current game situation to apply to my theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom