• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SPOILER: Paul

TurtleKing

Writer
Reaction score
Alright, who else is bugging about Paul having Torterra!? Does this leave possibility that Ash may get Chimchar?

Why would that have anything to do with any possibility of Ash getting Chimchar? I don't see the point of asking that.

It might but it seems like both Dawn and Ash's rivals have the same Pokemon but the evolved forms.

Paul said that he's working with Chimchar because he believes it has hidden potential. The writers are constantly bringing up the fact that Paul is working with Chimchar to make it stronger and it won't be a throw-away Pokemon like the others.

Its amazing how people constantly believe Ash is going to wind up with all the starters again. They haven't done that since Johto and they're not going to do it again.

When you say "bugging" do you mean that positively or negatively? Personally, I think this may be the first real mistake the writers have made so far in DP. Giving Shinji another Shinou starter totally ruins the "one starter per trainer" thing that they began back in AG, it throws the screen time for the starters even more off balance than it ever was (now Turtwig's line has the potential of getting twice as much screentime as it did before) and the writers could use this situation as an excuse to keep Ash's Turtwig unevolved. I guess they could have done this so that both main characters have a rival with the evolved form of their starters (Kengo and Shinji) but if that's he case, why did they give Shinji a chimchar as well? The only thing I can think of that could really "restore the balance" is if they had Shinji catch a piplup (or it;s evo) as well, and then had Brock or TR catch a Chimchar; that way we'd still have the starters spread out among three trainers, with Shinji being an exception outside the balance, since he'd have all three. If not, well then I hope Torterra ends up with the same fate as Gary's Umbreon, and we never see it again. *glares at the writers*

... Personally, I think this may be the first real mistake the writers have made so far in DP. Giving Shinji another Shinou starter totally ruins the "one starter per trainer" thing that they began back in AG...

DP =/= AG.

The show's always going to have tweaks made.

Hmm...Paul got a Torterra?

In a pre-release DP picture, Brock had a Chimchar standing beside him, did he not?

Oh, and I'd be kinda glad if Ash's Turtwig didn't evolve...and I just can't see Dawn having an Empoleon...

I think it's an interesting twist. I mean who cares if Ash's Turtwig never evolves? It can prove that a regular unevolved Pokemon can pwn down a fully evolved Pokemon if Ash and Paul were to have a final showdown. *B-Button League moment!* Remember Pikachu vs. Raichu?

I think it's an interesting twist. I mean who cares if Ash's Turtwig never evolves? It can prove that a regular unevolved Pokemon can pwn down a fully evolved Pokemon if Ash and Paul were to have a final showdown. *B-Button League moment!* Remember Pikachu vs. Raichu?

People don't want to see Ash battling with all unevolved Pokemon anymore. AG proved that Ash CAN have a fully evolved team and still not be invincible.

I still expect Turtwig to evolve, because there's no way it can match Toreterra's power at its current stage. In fact, I see all of Ash's current Pokemon evolving, Starly evolved so early obviously because the writers must be planning its second evo near mid-Sinnoh, and Aipom evolving should be obvious at some point.

I think Dawn said she wasn't going to evolve her Piplup though, so I guess we won't see much evo's from her.

I still expect Turtwig to evolve, because there's no way it can match Toreterra's power at its current stage.

I don't know anymore, Paul having Torterra does somewhat hinder it from doing so(Kinda like Gary's Blastoise blocking Squirtle), and even if it became a Torterra by the league Pauls would more than likely destory it since he's had his for years.

One thing i don't get is people complain if Ash has more than one starter, yet now that we know Paul has two no one's gonna care for him having them?

the thing is, we got enough of that bullshit back in the first series (and to make things worse, it was played up to ridiculous proportions, to a point that cute plushies stole an annoyingly huge amount of screentime and evolution was occasionally portrayed as an outright negative action that only makes one seem arrogant and brutish, not to mention constantly whoring out the plushies, starters especially, to be super tough and uber -_-... I can understand people like their unevolved Pokemon, especially for the purpose of a tougher challenge or a love of their current appearance, which is likely why the B-button feature was implemented in the first place, but give me a break), so it was nice for AG to do the complete opposite. And it's not as if unevolved Pokemon are completely shafted... aside from Haruka still advertising the hell out of them, Satoshi's Pokemon managed to stay in their forms for quite a long time before moving on (not to mention Satoshi's Heigani never evolved).

Also, unevolved Pokemon pwning evolved ones if Satoshi and Shinji had a showdown? That wouldn't work. If they were shown to be at roughly equal levels (which would be the case given the recent revelation that Shinji's traveled through practically all the regions), then we can't have Satoshi taking out fully evolved beasts with cute little unevolved plushies. That'd only make him look much more skilled than Shinji. When Satoshi battled Shigeru, he pulled no stops and relied on his powerhouse reserves, and still barely got by. He didn't even use Pikachu in that fight. The only Pokemon he used that wasn't at its final form was Bayleaf (and even still, she was a middle-stage, the only evolution he had in all of Jouto and arguably his best from the region next to Heracross), and she got her ass kicked.

And I would damn well care if Satoshi's Naetle never evolved. As it stands, that thing is dull as fuck. Grass starter, Razor Leaf, quadrupedal, agile, peacekeeper, attitude (it pales to Kimori, by the way), haven't we seen these traits about a million times with his other grass-types? If it becomes a Dodaitose, it'd no doubt become a tank, which we rarely see used, and possibly Satoshi's first prominent Earthquake-user (Donphan kinda missed the boat and kept opting for Rollout and Hyper Beam, it seems). Clearly, I think evolution is the best thing that could possibly come out of the dirt-bearing turtle (though, if Satoshi had that spaced-out Naetle from Nanakamado's lab, I'd think differently... I mean, that thing kicked ass ^^).

Last edited:
Geodude, I think Dawn said that in the Prinplup Contest episodes. Although I don't understand Japanese so I'm just taking others word for it. Maybe it was just a rumour, I dunno.

I agree with most of what Yamato said. I would not like to see a return to the "old days" of few evolutions. The fact that AG had Ash's team develop and evolve fully (Heigani being the exception) over the course of the series was one of the improvments it had over the first seasons. I don't agree about Turtwig though, I think he's awesome ^^. But I'd still like to see him evolve.

Shinji having a Dotaitose gives Satoshi's Naetle a rival.

Good guy who's weak VS. Big strong guy who's evil.

Shinji's dotaitose wasn't that strong though, like his other pokemon.

How was Paul's Torterra weak? It went up against friggin Cynthia and her Garchomp, of course it was going to lose.

If Ash battled Torterra now, Paul would probably kick his ass. Being a ground type even Pikachu wouldn't damage it much, which is why Ash's team desperately needs some evolutions.

You forget that...*Ahem*

SHIRONA IS THE FUCKING CHAMPION, 113711317117

Yeah. Even competing against a weakened Garchomp means Shinji could probably beat Satoshi's entire team with just Dotaitose.

Ah, boring, boring.

It's exactly like
"LIEK! SATOSHI SHOULDVE GET T3H BUOYSEL!!!!! NOT HIKARI!!!!!11111"

Yeah. Shinji having a Dodaitoise did make me "Holy Shit" but I've already stopped. But some guys can't. Eh...

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom