• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Standard RMT

Synthesis

._.
Reaction score
235.png

Generic Lead, the Smeargle

Jolly nature
Focus Sash
Own Tempo
252 HP/252 Speed/4Def

~Spore
~Stealth Rock
~Toxic Spikes
~Whirlwind

This is a slight variation of what most people consider standard Smeargle. Its role is simple; Spore opponent and then set up hazards on switch and then as they break your sash. Taunt leads ruin everything so a switch is necessary. I actuallt started running Whirlwind because of the amount of leads that try to set up stat boosts as you set up hazards is amazing. Whirlwinding them away is hilarious.
(
Might replace this lead at some point with Qwilfish.

178_xatu_front_norm.png

Quack, the Xatu

Bold Nature
Leftovers
Magic Bounce
252 HP/252 Defense/4 Sp. Defensedee

~Calm Mind
~Thunder Wave
~Psychic
~Roost

This guy is a great teammate who doesn't just switch in and out, but it sets up on othet walls and usually does quite a bit of rapeage. Pursuiters do destroy it but I'm quite happy with this set right now.

Spr_4p_380.png

:9, the Latias

Modest Nature
Choice Scarf
Levitate
4 HP/252 Sp. Attack/252 Speed

~Draco Meteor
~Psyshock
~Surf
~Hidden Power Fire

One of the best scarfers around. Psyshock for Chansey and Blissey, HP for Ferrothorn and those banded Pursuit Scizor. Does exactly what it says on the tin.

350-male-frame1.png

Oh hells no!, the Milotic

Calm Nature
Leftovers
Marvel Scale
252 HP/216 Sp. Defense/40 Sp. Attack

~Surf
~Recover
~Dragon Tail
~Ice Beam

Great special wall with phasing move and Recover. Surf over Scald because I almost always have TSpikes up. Need a better move for the last slot that isn't Haze, Hypnosis or a ResTalker.

448_lucario_front_norm.png

Not a cat ~_~, the Lucario

Adamant Nature
Life Orb
Steadfast
4 HP/252 Attack/252 Speed

~Swords Dance
~Crunch
~Extreme Speed
~Close Combat/Drain Punch

Was originally a banded Scizor but I prefer to use Lucario. Its movepool and EV spread can be changed easily as I've never used it before. Might replace with trapper zone or a different Scizor.

149-frame1.png

ALL ARE FRED, the Dragonite

Unsure of Nature
Leftovers
Multiscale
252 HP/rest of EVs unsure. But it's bulky.

~Substitute
~Roost
~Dragon Tail
~Earthquake/Dragon Dance

This is such a beastly phaser. Subbing for scouting moves and blocking status. Shame its quite slow that it does get statused first often. Roost to maintain Multiscale and watch as the opponent rages trying to break subs.

Pursuit Ttars and Scizor do destroy half of my team, but the team is generally quite solid. SO, YEAH.

Last edited by a moderator:
235.png

Generic Lead, the Smeargle

Jolly nature
Focus Sash
Own Tempo
252 HP/252 Speed/4Def

~Spore
~Stealth Rock
~Toxic Spikes
~Whirlwind

This is a slight variation of what most people consider standard Smeargle. Its role is simple; Spore opponent and then set up hazards on switch and then as they break your sash. Taunt leads ruin everything so a switch is necessary. I actuallt started running Whirlwind because of the amount of leads that try to set up stat boosts as you set up hazards is amazing. Whirlwinding them away is hilarious.
(
Might replace this lead at some point with Qwilfish.

Seems decent, but what it do about Machamp, Metagross, any faster Taunter? And what lead does it actually win against? Also consider replacing Toxic Spikes with normal spikes. You want to try Deoxys-S if you do.

178_xatu_front_norm.png

Quack, the Xatu

Bold Nature
Leftovers
Magic Bounce
252 HP/252 Defense/4 Sp. Defensedee

~Calm Mind
~Thunder Wave
~Psychic
~Roost

This guy is a great teammate who doesn't just switch in and out, but it sets up on othet walls and usually does quite a bit of rapeage. Pursuiters do destroy it but I'm quite happy with this set right now.

Aren't Thunder Wave and Toxic Spikes conflicting with each other? If you replace Smeargle or Toxic Spikes, keep it, but otherwise you may want to replace it with HP Fire.

Spr_4p_380.png

:9, the Latias

Modest Nature
Choice Scarf
Levitate
4 HP/252 Sp. Attack/252 Speed

~Draco Meteor
~Psyshock
~Surf
~Hidden Power Fire

One of the best scarfers around. Psyshock for Chansey and Blissey, HP for Ferrothorn and those banded Pursuit Scizor. Does exactly what it says on the tin.

Good, but do you need the extra bulk? You may want to use Latios instead. Also be careful of those CB Bullet Punches, Pursuit isn't used nearly as often as Bullet Punch, because all of the Lati@s are carrying HP Fire.

350-male-frame1.png

Oh hells no!, the Milotic

Calm Nature
Leftovers
Marvel Scale
252 HP/216 Sp. Defense/40 Sp. Attack

~Surf
~Recover
~Dragon Tail
~Ice Beam

Great special wall with phasing move and Recover. Surf over Scald because I almost always have TSpikes up. Need a better move for the last slot that isn't Haze, Hypnosis or a ResTalker.

Hidden Power Electric could be another option. Question: Do you need a pokemon that can keep itself alive longer or more of a team player? If the latter is true, try a Roar Vaporeon like the one in this set.

Spr_5b_134.png

ThanksAngad (Vaporeon) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 224 Def / 36 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Wish
- Protect
- Surf
- Roar

Another pokemon that could help against your Scizor Problem, while still supporting the team is RestTalk Gyarados. It all depends on what you choose to do.

448_lucario_front_norm.png

Not a cat ~_~, the Lucario

Adamant Nature
Life Orb
Steadfast
4 HP/252 Attack/252 Speed

~Swords Dance
~Crunch
~Extreme Speed
~Close Combat/Drain Punch

Was originally a banded Scizor but I prefer to use Lucario. Its movepool and EV spread can be changed easily as I've never used it before. Might replace with trapper zone or a different Scizor.

I'd suggest trying out Swords Dance Scizor @ Lum Berry, because it's pretty good in this metagame. And you don't seem to have a Counter to Reuniclus.

149-frame1.png

ALL ARE FRED, the Dragonite

Careful
Leftovers
Multiscale
252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe

~Substitute
~Roost
~Dragon Tail
~Thunder Wave

This is such a beastly phaser. Subbing for scouting moves and blocking status. Shame its quite slow that it does get statused first often. Roost to maintain Multiscale and watch as the opponent rages trying to break subs.

Shuffling their team is fine, but if it doesn't do much other than that, it's pretty much dead weight. Try out T-Wave and see how it goes.
Pursuit Ttars and Scizor do destroy half of my team, but the team is generally quite solid. SO, YEAH.

These are suggestions, but try them out and see what works for you.

Thanks, Angad. I think I will try out Vaporeon and go back to good ol' Scizor. Smeargle'll probably stay on the cards for a while because it catches enough people off gaurd to prove its place. I saw an interesting DD Latios before. Could be worthwhile.

E: Smeargle runs Own Tempo so doesn't fear Machamp. I know about the obvious lums so it gets at least rocks up. Don't see all that many Metagross leads. As for Taunters, I'd usually just switch into Xatu as they carry entry hazards too, for the most part.

Only in Ubers, my friend. Don't try the DD Latios, the other roles it could use are too good to risk using a gimmick set. And if Vaporeon doesn't work, Try a Roar ResTalk Gyarados.

Righto. I'll bear that in mind. I swear I'm using Mamanbou next time.

Smeargle is a pretty terrible Pokemon to use in OU in any capacity. I'd suggest replacing Smeargle with something that is more reliable when providing entry hazard support. Deoxys-S, Bronzong, or even Ferrothorn could fill this role quite nicely.

How can this team deal with threats such as Thundurus, Latios, and Terrakion? It appears as though they will be very problematic for you when you attempt to ascend the ladder.

Smeargle is a pretty terrible Pokemon to use in OU in any capacity. I'd suggest replacing Smeargle with something that is more reliable when providing entry hazard support. Deoxys-S, Bronzong, or even Ferrothorn could fill this role quite nicely.

How can this team deal with threats such as Thundurus, Latios, and Terrakion? It appears as though they will be very problematic for you when you attempt to ascend the ladder.

Well, Latios and Terrakrion have never been too problematic. Both being outsped and ohko'd, generally, by Latias. Sometimes a bit of prediction and sacrifice are needed.

Thundurus is frail aswell. Scizor took care of it quite well when it wasn't locked into Superpower or Pursuit. Is pretty tough to take after getting a Nasty Plot up.

I agree with Angad and HH about the lead. Smeargle's movepool is great but its stats aren't good at all for OU (or any tier, for that matter xD I guess it could work in UU/RU). I say go with Deoxys-S to set up SR and/or Spikes.

And also, like Angad already said, if you're not going to use Latias' glorious bulk, use Latios instead. It'll hit harder ;) Unless you think Latias' natural bulk works well for the team.

One more little nitpick: You have two Psychic types, and only one steel type to cover their weaknesses. Have Dark/Bug/Ghost types ever been a problem, or can your team handle them? I think your team handles them fine, considering it's a defensive team, but I'm just asking. :p

I agree with Angad and HH about the lead. Smeargle's movepool is great but its stats aren't good at all for OU (or any tier, for that matter xD I guess it could work in UU/RU). I say go with Deoxys-S to set up SR and/or Spikes.

And also, like Angad already said, if you're not going to use Latias' glorious bulk, use Latios instead. It'll hit harder ;) Unless you think Latias' natural bulk works well for the team.

One more little nitpick: You have two Psychic types, and only one steel type to cover their weaknesses. Have Dark/Bug/Ghost types ever been a problem, or can your team handle them? I think your team handles them fine, considering it's a defensive team, but I'm just asking. :p

Dark types seem more of a threat than anything else. And, even then, they generally aren't too big of a threat. I may need another Steel in there. Perhaps a Meta lead could work...

If they aren't to big of a threat, then you don't need to make any unnecessary changes. However, I do think you need a new lead. Meta could work, just make sure it's not setup fodder for the opponent's sweepers. I've had lots of problems where I let my opponent set up on my lead and it didn't go nicely for me :/

If they aren't to big of a threat, then you don't need to make any unnecessary changes. However, I do think you need a new lead. Meta could work, just make sure it's not setup fodder for the opponent's sweepers. I've had lots of problems where I let my opponent set up on my lead and it didn't go nicely for me :/
I know the feeling *cough* Smeargle *cough* XD

I wanna try out the Qwilfish lead I made for a bit and then I'll try Deoxys-S and Meta.

You really should hope for a Thundurus ban, it effectively terrorizes this team. Smeargle wants Stealth Rock over Whirlwind, it's an extremely poor PHazer and even with Focus Sash, you will probably get to use Whirlwind once, at most. Stealth Rock will help with your weakness to Thundurus. I'm not sure why Smeargle is on the same team as Xatu, since they can both function as leads, Espeon is better than Xatu, anyhow, since it's faster and more powerful, it's Special Defense is better than Xatu's, as well. I'd reccomend replacing Latias with Latios, which is a better, more powerful Scafer. If you still want to use Latias, then use a Calm Mind or Wish variant. Dragonite seems decent as a PHazer, but since you already have Milotic, it might be beneficial to try out DDNite or even CBnite, as a better means of defeating Thundurus, the former by outspeeding and killing it, the latter with E-speed. Swampert may be a better choice than Milotic, mainly because it's typing is more helpful and it still gets Roar, it can set up SR, as well, it also helps with Walling Thundurus, assuming it lacks Grass Knot, which you can scout for. I agree with Angad that Gyarados should go over Vaporeon, since Vaporeon isn't as effective when it's out of Rain.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom