• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Starters Discussion/Speculation

If Sprigatito ends up a lynx, I'm gonna lean towards Psychic as a secondary typing. Folklore often assigns lynxes clairvoyant abilities, so Psychic would fit nicely. Just don't let it near bugs.

If Quaxly becomes a sailor, I can see Water/Fighting or Water/Steel. But maybe it will stay pure Water.

Fuecoco I have no clue, other than it won't be Fire/Dragon.

My thoughts.

Sprigatito final evolution will be Grass/Fighting, as others have mentioned, becoming Puss in Boots.

Quaxly will become either a Pirate or an Explorer/Conquistador, and will be Water/Dark (if Pirate), maybe Water/Steel if the alternative.

Fuecoco, I think, is definitely based on a chili pepper - specifically a ghost pepper. Final evolution will be Fire/Ghost, and it's body will elongate (like a long chili pepper in the image below) and will become snake-like, thus fulfilling it's spot on the Fire Starter/Chinese Zodiac.

images

I've seen the Puss in Boots idea a few times but i gotta ask. Isn't Puss in Boots Italian? I know Gamefreak doesn't always stick exclusively to the country the region is based on but they usually do when it comes to the starters right?

I've seen the Puss in Boots idea a few times but i gotta ask. Isn't Puss in Boots Italian? I know Gamefreak doesn't always stick exclusively to the country the region is based on but they usually do when it comes to the starters right?

Yeah, Puss in Boots is Italian, that's the main flaw in my theory. Sprigatito is the one I'm least confident in. I think a lot of us associate that story with Spain because he was portrayed by Antonio Banderas (who is Spanish) in the Shrek franchise.

And also, the starter final evos being based on the region didn't really come about until Gen 8, right? I mean Luchadors and Archers aren't notoriously Hawaiian, France isn't known for their ninjas, etc. But I do think beginning with Gen 8, basing the starter evos on the region is a trend that's likely to continue.

Given Fuecoco's proportions, a t rex would be nice. Or a godzilla. Or anything that isn't a goddamn snake, please let that die.

Plus it'd be really dumb if it just steals Snivy's thing to fit the stupid zodiac.
I will say that i feel like it could fit the Zodiac without stealing snivy's thing, its Pokemon so it doesnt have to necessarily lose its limbs to be atleast partly snake inspired.

I do however agree that it probably wont be the case.

I don't see the problem with Pokemon being bipedal humanoids. You can have a Pokémon that stands on two legs and still be a monster. Look at Blaziken. It's a bipedal humanoid Pokemon, but no one complains about that.
Yes, no big deal. The only problem is that all the starters since gen 6 are humanoid. I mean... next!

So far, I only somewhat like Sprigatito, as the other two starters are just goofy-looking.

I've seen it suggested that it could become a dandelion- referencing the lion on the Spanish coat of arms. XD
OMG a dandelion ??? That would be iconic! Dandelion is apparently Diente de Leon in Spanish, so the wordplay (or I guess just etymology) translates. And the Japanese love (LOVE) puns. Spain apparently has a famous sunflower area, and the Japanese tend to love sunflowers (and their love of the Little Mermaid led to Primarina), so it could even be a dandelion/sunflower hybrid mane.

FYI I keep saying “the Japanese” only because all these design decisions are being made by the Japanese Gamefreak design team.

Was Galar’s champion (Dande in Japanese, Leon in English) a hint at the Gen 9 Grass starter?

Was Galar’s champion (Dande in Japanese, Leon in English) a hint at the Gen 9 Grass starter?
Unlikely, the Gym Leaders and Champions in Galar all diligently follow the flower theme naming - even ones who didn't start that way like Bede (Beta vulgaris) and Marnie (Rosemary). There's no logical step in singling out Leon's name as a hint towards an unrevealed next Gen Starter.

Wait a second…. I was so focused on Quaxly having a hat that I literally did not realize that Sprigatito has the very obvious beginnings of a MASK. I saw fan art of it turning into a masked swordsman with a leaf mask and it instantly clicked.

They’re going masked swordsman for Sprigatito… I can feel it. Quaxly is becoming a pirate with a big pirate hat, and Sprigatito is becoming a Zorro-like figure. I was briefly thinking Quaxly might be the swordsman due to its name being a possible ‘Don Quaxote’ set up, but nope. That’s Sprigatito. Quaxly already having a symbol on its hat (currently a seagull motif) makes it the beginnings of a pirate hat even more.

Wait a second…. I was so focused on Quaxly having a hat that I literally did not realize that Sprigatito has the very obvious beginnings of a MASK. I saw fan art of it turning into a masked swordsman with a leaf mask and it instantly clicked.

They’re going masked swordsman for Sprigatito… I can feel it. Quaxly is becoming a pirate with a big pirate hat, and Sprigatito is becoming a Zorro-like figure. I was briefly thinking Quaxly might be the swordsman due to its name being a possible ‘Don Quaxote’ set up, but nope. That’s Sprigatito. Quaxly already having a symbol on its hat (currently a seagull motif) makes it the beginnings of a pirate hat even more.
But- but- that would require being bipedaaaaal

But on a serious note, yeah, I noticed the mask thing too so i could see the masked swordsman route, or swordswoman whatever direction they decide to go in.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom