• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The 5th Generation Pokemon Moveset Thread!!!

Man, oh, man, have I got a set for you guys! This pretty much emphasizes this little fact of life:

Big surprises can come in small packages. (Clamperl)
Timid / DeepSeaTooth / Shell Armor
- Shell Smash
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power Electric
4 HP / 252 Sp. Attack / 252 Speed

This unevolved wonder actually has some good physical bulk that it can abuse to get a Shell Smash in, raising its Speed near 400 and its Special Attack damn near 1000! DeepSeaTooth actually doubles Clamperl's Special Attack, I should point out. (ONLY Clamperl.) Therefore, this thing can definitely make itself out to be a monster; it may even leave NU simply because of Shell Smash! Surf is a very reliable STAB attack, and with that Sp. Attack, very deadly. Ice Beam and HP Electric are for pseudo-BoltBeam coverage. Just be careful; it is pretty weak to priority attacks and Choice Scarfers.

This is an "improved" version of Hariyama's OU attacking lead set for gen 5:

Spr_5b_297.png

Hariyama
Gen 5 OU Attacking Lead
EVs - 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 SpDef
Nature - Adamant
Ability - Guts
Item - Flame Orb
Moveset:
-Fake Out
-Close Combat
-Payback
-Stone Edge

IMO this underrated king still has a chance in the new OU environment. Gen 5 is filled with hard hitters, and special attackers are on the rise. With a maxed out special defense stat, Hariyama is almost guaranteed to get in at least one KO in a match. Fake out breaks sturdy and focus sash leads, while at the same time letting flame orb activate without taking a previous hit. Close Combat provides a great STAB, but should be used sparingly, as the lowered defenses is an outcome that isn't favorable for this poke in the slightest. Payback should probably be the most used, as not only does it have a good range of coverage, it will almost always work as planned. Even the standard Choice Scarf Shandara proves to be no match for this set, as while it will take a hard hit from shadow ball, it will easily Payback it to give Hari a 1HitKO, and clear out one of the most dangerous threats in the OU DreamWorld metagame.
As far as counters are concerned, Blaziken tends to make Hariyama cry, as it will use Protect for a faster priority (which also lets it keep focus sash), get a free speed boost, and KO Hari with powerful physical attacks before this sumo really gets the chance to shine. Pray to god that the lead doesn't have a psychic move, either, as even with those maxed out special defenses it's still bound to get 1hitKO'd. Magic Mirror Espeon, Starmie, and Blastoise make a great par for Hariyama. Many players try to take advantage of Hariyama's low speed to set up stealth rock early, so with a bit of prediction Espeon will bounce those hazards back at the opponent's team. Blastoise can make another good option, as it rapid spins away the hazards and provide good bulk to take some attacks that Hariyama can't usually stand.

Manectric-Life Orb
Timid (Spd+,Atk-)
252 SpAtk/4 SpDef/252 Spd
Thunderbolt
Hidden Power (Grass)
Protect
Flamethrower/Flame Burst

Pretty straight-forward set, I plan on using this for Rotation Battles. It'll have the Lightningrod ability, which helps it out much more this gen than the last. Any comments?

Have you thought about Electra Ball instead of T-Bolt? Manectric's 105 speed may make that the better option especially against bulky water types and even more especially if you use a T-Wave combination like mentioned on the first or second page.

Does anyone have a good Oobemu set? I imagine Simple Beam could make him more useful than he looks from afar.

front.png

Iwaparesu
Jolly
Broken Armor
Leftovers/Life Orb
252 Speed/252 Attack/6 HP

Shell Smash
Stone Edge
Earthquake
X-Scissor

Get a free switch-in on a physical attacker, then Shell Smash. This gives you +2 Attack and +2 Speed (ignoring +2 Special Attack). However, if the opponent attacks you with a physical attack before you Shell Smash (very likley, this set has 200 speed with no boosts) You -1 defense (neglectable) and +1 speed. This totals to an unholy spread of

+2 Attack
-2 Defense
+2 Special attack (worthless)
-1 Special defense
+3 Speed

Proceed to sweep with STAB Stone Edge, Earthquake (Edgequake has great coverage) and STAB X-Scissor.

I like the concept for that set, but because of all of the defense drops, you will get murdered by priority. An interesting option would be White Herb: you still have the potential for a sweep, but you don't have to deal with those nasty defense drops.

I like the concept for that set, but because of all of the defense drops, you will get murdered by priority. An interesting option would be White Herb: you still have the potential for a sweep, but you don't have to deal with those nasty defense drops.

Then sturdy would be the better option, because you would waste the White Herb if Broken Armor activates.

White Herb only removes negative stat changes. You would get the Speed boost from Breakable Armor, but the defense drop would be removed.

Dorieda @ Calm or Modest/Chlorophyll w/Evolution Stone
Butterfly Dance
Sunny Day
Solar Beam/Giga Drain
Sleep Powder/Toxic/Leech Seed

Never noticed how fun Doredia seemed. With Chlorophyll as an ability Sunny Day doubles her speed while allowing constant hits of Solar Beam and Butterfly Dance will increase it even more which I prefer over Petal Dance or Giga Drain. The Sleep Powder/Giga drain combo does seem useful however. Leech Seed could be a fun set up while sleep powder would stall or toxic would...be toxic. The evolution stone raises Doreida's shaky defensive stats both clear over base 100 with Butterfly Dance increasing the special defense even more.

Man, oh, man, have I got a set for you guys! This pretty much emphasizes this little fact of life:

Big surprises can come in small packages. (Clamperl)
Timid / DeepSeaTooth / Shell Armor
- Shell Smash
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power Electric
4 HP / 252 Sp. Attack / 252 Speed

This unevolved wonder actually has some good physical bulk that it can abuse to get a Shell Smash in, raising its Speed near 400 and its Special Attack damn near 1000! DeepSeaTooth actually doubles Clamperl's Special Attack, I should point out. (ONLY Clamperl.) Therefore, this thing can definitely make itself out to be a monster; it may even leave NU simply because of Shell Smash! Surf is a very reliable STAB attack, and with that Sp. Attack, very deadly. Ice Beam and HP Electric are for pseudo-BoltBeam coverage. Just be careful; it is pretty weak to priority attacks and Choice Scarfers.
It seems to be like Clamperl still winds up being a bit slow after one Shell Break. Gorebyss can make a decent Shell Breaker though.
Dorieda @ Calm or Modest/Chlorophyll w/Evolution Stone
Butterfly Dance
Sunny Day
Solar Beam/Giga Drain
Sleep Powder/Toxic/Leech Seed

Never noticed how fun Doredia seemed. With Chlorophyll as an ability Sunny Day doubles her speed while allowing constant hits of Solar Beam and Butterfly Dance will increase it even more which I prefer over Petal Dance or Giga Drain. The Sleep Powder/Giga drain combo does seem useful however. Leech Seed could be a fun set up while sleep powder would stall or toxic would...be toxic. The evolution stone raises Doreida's shaky defensive stats both clear over base 100 with Butterfly Dance increasing the special defense even more.
Doredia can't use the Evolution Stone item: it's not an NFE, as is Churine. Its defenses aren't too shaky anyway--base 80 is about average, and 75 is just below that--though the adage about good offenses and the best defenses rings true. (And again, the Evolution Stone item doesn't modify base stats--it modifies stats.)

I really like Doredia, but it's kinda limited. It would've been great last generation, before Herbivore came along. If you only have one attack type, it's best if it's not Grass.

Last edited:
It seems to be like Clamperl still winds up being a bit slow after one Shell Break. Gorebyss can make a decent Shell Breaker though.Doredia can't use the Evolution Stone item: it's not an NFE, as is Churine. Its defenses aren't too shaky anyway--base 80 is about average, and 75 is just below that--though the adage about good offenses and the best defenses rings true. (And again, the Evolution Stone item doesn't modify base stats--it modifies stats.)

Bah, didn't look into that item enough apparently. I knew it was too good to be true. Thanks for clarifying.

Clamperl with that set would look nice in a trick room team even if shell break upped it's speed if feel.

i knew someone would incorporate fake out into a hitmon's moveset.
it can break a focush sash and everything, its great i must say.

Hitmonlee set!
I actually got this set from a YouTuber called Rykard3, here is his channel, so credit to him! http://www.youtube.com/user/Rykard3#p/u/5/b-O6UK9Llng

HitmonSpeed
Jolly/Adamant Nature
Unburden (DW)
Normal Elemental Gem
Fake Out
Close Combat/High Jump Kick
Blaze Kick
Earthquake

1 word - SWEEP!
Use 252 Atk/ 4 HP/ 252 Speed
Run Stone Edge over EQ, Ground and Fighting has repetitive coverage. Run Jolly to outspeed Adamant Dory in SS, it barely misses Jolly Dory by like 2 points.

This is honestly a gimmicky set I'm going to try out, but I figured I'd see if there was something much better you guys had or any suggestions for it.

Name: Sandstorm Counter
Purpose: To come in, cancel the sandstorm (and thus taking away Dory's main advantage) and hopefully get a shot off at T-Tar or Hippo

Pokemon: Politoed@Choice Scarf
EV: 252 SpA and Spe, 4 HP
Nature: Timid
Ability: Drizzle (I know it's a DW ability, but it's the crux of this set)
Moves:
Focus Blast/HP Fighting
Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
Psychic

While Rohbushin treats the symptom, this (hopefully) will treat the source. Politoed comes in on a Sand Stream Poke and cancels out the sand while setting up rain, boosting Hydro Pump against both Sanders right now, but also carrying Focus Blast for T-Tar since 4x is still stronger (I think). Ice Beam and Psychic are for coverage. Choice Scarf and Timid for max Speed, and the EVs for speed and power. Politoed is used over Drought Ninetales because he isn't weak to both Sanders' STAB.

So... does this suck?

Super Effective STAB Rain Hydro Pump: 540
4x Effective Focus Blast: 480

Therefore, Hydro Pump > Focus Blast in both power and accuracy (80 > 70).

This is honestly a gimmicky set I'm going to try out, but I figured I'd see if there was something much better you guys had or any suggestions for it.

Name: Sandstorm Counter
Purpose: To come in, cancel the sandstorm (and thus taking away Dory's main advantage) and hopefully get a shot off at T-Tar or Hippo

Pokemon: Politoed@Choice Scarf
EV: 252 SpA and Spe, 4 HP
Nature: Timid
Ability: Drizzle (I know it's a DW ability, but it's the crux of this set)
Moves:
Focus Blast/HP Fighting
Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
Psychic

While Rohbushin treats the symptom, this (hopefully) will treat the source. Politoed comes in on a Sand Stream Poke and cancels out the sand while setting up rain, boosting Hydro Pump against both Sanders right now, but also carrying Focus Blast for T-Tar since 4x is still stronger (I think). Ice Beam and Psychic are for coverage. Choice Scarf and Timid for max Speed, and the EVs for speed and power. Politoed is used over Drought Ninetales because he isn't weak to both Sanders' STAB.

So... does this suck?

Psychic is only for Tentacruel, I'd replace that.

Does Psychic make Politoed Psychic-type? No. So with those defenses, Pursuit won't KO (unless Ttar hold a Band, maybe).

I know there's the Sucker Punch argument, but again, Scarftoed isn't common, so it isn't predictable, either. And if it's most likely slower, why Sucker Punch when you can Cross Chop?

Hitmonlee set!
I actually got this set from a YouTuber called Rykard3, here is his channel, so credit to him! http://www.youtube.com/user/Rykard3#p/u/5/b-O6UK9Llng

HitmonSpeed
Jolly/Adamant Nature
Unburden (DW)
Normal Elemental Gem
Fake Out
Close Combat/High Jump Kick
Blaze Kick
Earthquake

1 word - SWEEP!
That's a lovely general idea, Unburden/Gem. Lepardas can operate along those lines (FakeOut/NormalGem). He can be -Attack nature and still put up a decent Trickery (I don't know how situational that is, but eh). Another decent idea is Pursuit/DarkGem. In the proper situations, it's pure win-win. For about a turn--I dun know what you do next.

Sceptile can also pull off Pursuit/DarkGem.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom