• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The hate for inanimate object pokemon seriously needs to stop.

PageEmperor

Reaction score
Did they ever say that it was a formal rule for every pokemon to be based off an animal? Did they ever say that they can't make mons out of random items? I think it's safe to say it's a no for both questions, because inanimate object mons have literally existed since the begining of the franchise, and the start of the series had things like a rock with arms, a pile of sludge with a face, and so on.

While there are some inanimate object mons that I'm not fond of because they are just simply bland objects that battle and not much else, that is a very small amount and practically almost every inanimate object mon in the series has some interesting gimmick tied to it's basis.

So why exactly do people complain about these types of pokemon? So far, I have found only one legit reason to this, that being how it just doesn't make sense to find random living objects in the outdoors. And that reason is easily debunked by how this is the same universe where you can fit a gazillion items and even a whole bike into a bag, small birds or even flightless birds can carry grown people for flight, you can catch actual deities into balls, and so on so forth. Tl;dr, the pokemon world is supposedly a fantastical universe, so if the stuff I mentioned above is normal, then some living objects with faces randomly appearing in the grass should also be fine.

Seriously, end this nonsense. They never said it was a rule that everything had to be a living thing and sometimes I feel like we should get a generation where half of the new guys are inanimate objects with faces just to see all the salty reactions. But seriously… I suggest this because no matter what, there's tons of cool ideas and concepts that can be made from objects, so no matter what, there's probably gonna be many inanimate object pokemon in future generations.

Edit: If anyone says another “we like what we like and can voice it” comment then well… I’m sorry. I do not mean this post in a harmful way. I didn’t intend to disrespect opinions and if it looked I did at any point then I apologize.

The main point of this is that, there are many cool ideas for inanimate object mons that could be done, so it’ll be inevitable that there would be a lot of them in the future, so I just want to point it out.

Last edited:
I never meant to say people aren’t allowed to have their own opinions, I’m just pointing out that it just didn’t feel right that so many people are complaining over something that’ll ultimately happen a lot in future generations.

I think the main reason is that back in gen 1, the Pokémon made sense to be living in the wild. Now, we have trash bags, ice cream cones, and possessed teacups. Those don't really make sense.

So, a lot of the inspiration for many of the inanimate object Pokémon would be coming from the Japanese concept of Tsukumogami. Basically, household objects that have become animate after acquiring a spirit. So all of these things like magnets, Poké Balls, and teacups make perfect sense from that perspective. Heck, even the trash bag kind of works.

Now, animated ice cream cones... that one I don't get. That's no longer an inanimate household object turned into a creature, that's just processed food. About the only thing I think I could accept here is a Pokémon that came from the top bread slices of Paldean sandwichs that everyone seems to throw away for whatever reason.

a lot of the inspiration for many of the inanimate object Pokémon would be coming from the Japanese concept of Tsukumogami. Basically, household objects that have become animate after acquiring a spirit
I’m sure I had already known that and that’s another reason why I don’t mind many of the inanimate object mons, especially the ones that, well, are based on everyday objects.

Now, animated ice cream cones... that one I don't get
I think they aren’t actually that and are just living icicles that resemble such.

I love Aegislash myself. So what matters to me is that if the design is good or not, i don't care if it's based on an object.

Now, animated ice cream cones
images

It's based both on icicles and ice cream.

the vanillish line is explicitly icicles. vanilluxe is two icicles that got stuck together. it's not ice cream. seriously.

i do think some criticism of objectmon can be unfair? especially when compared to the designs of gen 1, which had plenty of objectmon.
to be honest, some of it is also hypocritical... if you hate objectmon because they're "too much like objects" but are offended by someone hating mon that are very similar to real animals because "they're uninspired/generic," then... well, think about it. d:
personally, taking a stationary object and bringing it to life, turning it into a biological being with thought patterns and behavior and preferred habitats, designing their methods of offense and defense, making them into creatures, takes a hell of a lot more creativity than just putting in a generic dragon or fish or bird or what have you. i promise i mean no offense whatsoever by this, but... look at raticate and boltund, and then look at the porygon line and magnezone. are you really going to tell me that the former group is more imaginative than the latter?
objectmon are more diverse than they get credit for, i feel. you really can't accurately say that they're all boring or bland or dumb just by looking at a few.

everyone is entitled to their own opinion, of course, and it's fine to dislike objectmon. this is simply my point of view on them.

I think the hate for objectmon is still from the BW debates and people still havent gotten over it for whatever reason
They just dont want to admit that a literal trashbag is cooler than a generic cat or horse on fire

I agree, but I believe most people are over it. At least I don't hear as many complaints as I used to.

In true, I think the hate towards Pokémon from the 5th generation was primarily due to players not identifying with the new Pokémon, as the intention was to refresh the entire Pokédex. Furthermore, certain questionable designs associated with these Pokémon have unfortunately fueled negativity and criticism, instead the fact that they are, ultimately, inanimate objects.

For instance, I don't see any hatred towards Chandelure or Rotom (maybe Rotom-Dex, lol). On the contrary, they are well-received, despite both being objects inhabited by spirits. The fact is that they have good designs, like the evolutionary line of Chandelure, or interesting concepts, as is the case with Rotom, and people appreciate that. Likewise, I like the Teapot Pokémon, but I hate the Revavroom line.

When it comes to Vanillite and Voltorb, I like to think that they are not just ice creams and Poké Balls monsters, but rather that the creators of the ice creams and the Poké Balls had a great appreciation for these Pokémon and decided to pay homage to them through their creations.

Last edited:
When it comes to Vinilux and Voltorb, I like to think that they are not just ice creams and Poké Balls monsters, but rather that the creators of the ice creams and the Poké Balls had a great appreciation for these Pokémon and decided to pay homage to them through their creations.
that's a p cool way to look at it (in fact, it's theorized in-verse that the creator of the poke ball really liked foonguss), but the icecreamcicle line is composed of actual icicles that the actual designers of the mon wanted to resemble ice cream (because, well, regardless of how you feel about the vanill- family, a hybrid is admittedly far more interesting than JUST ice cream or JUST icicles). i'm not sure about voltorb/electrode, but i think it's also theorized that they were poke balls that came to life?
if it's not confirmed, though, i actually prefer your theory regarding it lol. a poke ball coming to life as a pokemon is... unsettling.

I'm seeing some Vanilluxe discourse and where it stands, so I'd like to mention it's designer, James Turner has stated before in a now deleted Twitter thread they're basically based on an equivalent of American food mascots
Screenshot_20240430-142748.png
I think knowing that gives it a bit more sense. Particularly when you can easily see it as the mascot of like Casteila Cones

Anywho I wouldn't say I adore a lot of object mon, but I respect them, I think it's cool to have variety compared to just sticking to animals

Last edited:
I liked Rotom-Dex until it asked if it could call me "Master".

Personally, I also find Rotom-Dex a bit cringy in its interactions with the player. Its role as our guide, explaining what's happening and guiding us through the game, often feels forced and out of place, as if it was imported from a different franchise like Yokai Watch, rather than being something genuine to the Pokémon franchise.

However, I have no issue with the Rotom-Phone.

that's a p cool way to look at it (in fact, it's theorized in-verse that the creator of the poke ball really liked foonguss), but the icecreamcicle line is composed of actual icicles that the actual designers of the mon wanted to resemble ice cream (because, well, regardless of how you feel about the vanill- family, a hybrid is admittedly far more interesting than JUST ice cream or JUST icicles). i'm not sure about voltorb/electrode, but i think it's also theorized that they were poke balls that came to life?
if it's not confirmed, though, i actually prefer your theory regarding it lol. a poke ball coming to life as a pokemon is... unsettling.

Forgive me for my limited knowledge, but I didn't quite understand what you meant regarding the Vinilux line and Icicles.

As for voltorb and Fonguss theories, I don't know either, I'm not very attentive to the franchise's lore, much less to theories, I prefer to interpret it in my own way.

With this in mind, I believe that in he 5th generation, when revamping the Pokédex, the producers likely drew inspiration from the original Pokémon. So, It's possible that the Foongus line pays homage not only to the Poké Balls but also to the Voltorb line. Husei's Grass-type Voltorb suggests, in my view, a potential shared history or connection between them.

I'm seeing some Vanilluxe discourse and where it stands, so I'd like to mention it's designer, James Turner has stated before in a now deleted Twitter thread they're basically based on an equivalent of American food mascots

It's interesting to know. I think that the cute aspect appears to be limited to the first form, Vanillite, while the rest of the line carries a creepy or bizarre characteristic that, in my opinion, can be a reminiscent of certain American mascots. That might be the reason why I only enjoy Vanillite, LOL.

Last edited:
I'd be down for a literal Poké Ball to be a creature in the series. Maybe it could work by possessing the ability to transform itself into any species of Pokémon you've caught via random selection, giving them their native abilities and the last four moves of their level-up learnset. The choices for abilities would be randomized. It'd be similar to how Pokémon mechanically handles wild battles except this Poké Ball Pokémon can transform into any possible random choice of what you've caught. This concept would be really cool but might be too ambitious of me to present lol.

Back
Top Bottom