• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The "Is My Pokémon Hacked?" Thread

My sister got this used Emerald game recently, and it had a bunch of good Pokemon on it. She let me migrate over whatever I wanted to SoulSilver; the Pokemon seemed legit, but I'd like to make sure:

Pokemon Species: Mew
Nickname: MEW
Ribbons: Champion Ribbon
Ball: Ultra Ball
Area encountered: Hoenn (I remember it saying Faraway Island in Emerald)
Level encountered: Arrived at Lv. 65 (It said caught at Lv. 30 in Emerald, now Lv. 69)
OT: JOESTER
Moves: Psychic, AncientPower, Mega Punch, Metronome
Stats: Attack- 180, Defense- 163, Sp. Atk- 183, Sp. Def- 160, Speed- 172

Pokemon Species: Deoxys (Speed Forme)
Nickname: DEOXYS
Ball: Poke Ball
Area encountered: Hoenn (Birth Island in Emerald)
Level encountered: Arrived at Lv. 40 (caught at 30 in Emerald, is now Lv. 41)
Moves: Knock Off, Pursuit, Psychic, Swift
Stats: Attack- 94, Defense- 84, Sp. Atk- 90, Sp. Def- 82, Speed- 156

I'd also like to check about a shiny Larvitar (now Tyranitar) that my friend traded me; she says it's legit, but I'm not so sure...

Pokemon Species: Tyranitar
Nickname: TYRANITAR
Ribbons: Legend Ribbon
Ball: Master Ball (she informed me that the ball was hacked, but not the Pokemon within it)
Area encountered: Route 210
Level encountered: 19 (now lv. 76)
OT: STAR
Moves: Crunch, Stone Edge, Earthquake, Hyper Beam
Stats: Attack- 236, Defense- 191, Sp. Atk- 183, Sp. Def- 171, Speed- 124

My sister got this used Emerald game recently, and it had a bunch of good Pokemon on it. She let me migrate over whatever I wanted to SoulSilver; the Pokemon seemed legit, but I'd like to make sure:

Pokemon Species: Mew
Nickname: MEW
Ball: Ultra Ball
Area encountered: Hoenn (I remember it saying Faraway Island in Emerald)
Level encountered: Arrived at Lv. 65 (It said caught at Lv. 30 in Emerald, now Lv. 69)
Moves: Psychic, AncientPower, Mega Punch, Metronome
Stats: Attack- 180, Defense- 163, Sp. Atk- 183, Sp. Def- 160, Speed- 172

Pokemon Species: Deoxys (Speed Forme)
Nickname: DEOXYS
Ball: Poke Ball
Area encountered: Hoenn (Birth Island in Emerald)
Level encountered: Arrived at Lv. 40 (caught at 30 in Emerald, is now Lv. 41)
Moves: Knock Off, Pursuit, Psychic, Swift
Stats: Attack- 94, Defense- 84, Sp. Atk- 90, Sp. Def- 82, Speed- 156

I'd also like to check about a shiny Larvitar (now Tyranitar) that my friend traded me; she says it's legit, but I'm not so sure...

Pokemon Species: Tyranitar
Nickname: TYRANITAR
Ribbons: Legend Ribbon
Ball: Master Ball (she informed me that the ball was hacked, but not the Pokemon within it)
Level encountered: 19 (now lv. 76)
OT: STAR
Moves: Crunch, Stone Edge, Earthquake, Hyper Beam
Stats: Attack- 236, Defense- 191, Sp. Atk- 183, Sp. Def- 171, Speed- 124

I am going to do this one at a time.
The Mew.
You said you’re the one who migrated it, correct? If so was the mew from an English cart? If it was, then it's a hack. The old sea chart was distributed only in Japan. The person probably used an AR or Game Shark to open up the in game event. So this pokemon will not affect your game negatively since your game will read it as legit.

The deoxys
The ticket that is needed to activate the in game event wasn’t given out for Emerald, which is the only one of the three hoenn games that even has the Birth Island data. Now before anyone mentions that it was given out in the same year that Emerald was released ... yes, it was ... but the release of emerald came two months after the event took place. So it’s a hack. He probably used an AR or Game Shark to open up the in game event. So this pokemon will also not affect your game negatively.

The Tryranitar
What I see off is the route it was caught at. I know that they can be caught on route 207 in Diamond and route 206 in platinum. It is also a hack. This may affect your game but the chances are extremely small that it will.

Sorry to disappoint you.

Last edited:
If it's alright, I'd like to check a Toxicroak I just received:

Pokemon Species: Toxicroak
Nickname: Toxicroak
Ribbons: None
Ball: Master Ball
Level encountered: 24
OT: HAYDEN
ID: 06880
Moves: Earthquake (PP 10), Shadow Ball (PP 15), Dark Pulse (PP 15), Revenge (PP 10)
Stats: HP 163, Attack 133, Defense 88, Sp Atk 94, Sp Def 82, Speed 105

Has Pokerus.

The stats don't seem too outlandish, and I think all the moves can be legitimately taught to Toxicroak. I was mainly wondering because I couldn't find anything about Croagunk/Toxicroak being able to be caught on Route 210 (and it seemed like quite a good trade for just a Teddiursa).

Last edited:
If it's alright, I'd like to check a Toxicroak I just received:

Pokemon Species: Toxicroak
Nickname: Toxicroak
Ribbons: None
Ball: Master Ball
Level encountered: 24
OT: HAYDEN
ID: 06880
Moves: Earthquake (PP 10), Shadow Ball (PP 15), Dark Pulse (PP 15), Revenge (PP 10)
Stats: HP 163, Attack 133, Defense 88, Sp Atk 94, Sp Def 82, Speed 105

Has Pokerus.

The stats don't seem too outlandish, and I think all the moves can be legitimately taught to Toxicroak. I was mainly wondering because I couldn't find anything about Croagunk/Toxicroak being able to be caught on Route 210 (and it seemed like quite a good trade for just a Teddiursa).

Yeah, its a hack. You can't find Croagunk or Toxicroak at Route 210. Sorry to disappoint you.

Okay. I thought it might be after looking up the route, but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks for letting me know.

If I've got an event pokemon and the date obtained is way off from the dates of the actual event, is it likely a hack?

Shiny Darkrai lv. 52
OT: JORDAN

Adament nature, met in Faraway Place at lv. 16

Moveset:
Ominous Wind, Faint Attack, Nightmare, Hypnosis

The location and level in bold are what have me suspicious.

Shiny Darkrai lv. 52
OT: JORDAN

Adament nature, met in Faraway Place at lv. 16

Moveset:
Ominous Wind, Faint Attack, Nightmare, Hypnosis

The location and level in bold are what have me suspicious.

Yes, that's quite clearly a hack. Faraway Place is the location reserved for Pokemon caught in Hg/Ss. It's likely the person you got this from used an AR to encounter a wild Darkrai in HeartGold or SoulSilver... I assume you're viewing this Darkrai in Diamond, Pearl or Platinum?

Last edited:
which 10 aniv celebi are you asking about the one given out in gen 3 or the movie one that is currently being given out in japan?

10ANIV Celebi refers only to the Gen III event. The current one could be called a Cinema or Eigakan Celebi.

10ANIV Celebi refers only to the Gen III event. The current one could be called a Cinema or Eigakan Celebi.

ahh thanks for the clarification then no, at least I have never heard of anyone getting a shiny through the old events. Unless it was already meant to be shiny.

i have 4 pokemon that need to be checked
shiny snorlax lv 100
link trade
arrived at lv 100
shiny regice
hoenn
arrived at lv 100
shiny registeel
hoenn
arrived at lv 100
world 10 crobat now i believe its legit but i want a second opinon
aug 15 2010
pokemon event
apparently had a fateful encounter at lv 30
Ot:world10
id no. 08150
in cherish ball and life orb

Snorlax:
I believe Link Trade is only for in game trades, and since there is no in game trade for Snorlax, Hacked I think.
Regice and Registeel:
I'm 99% sure they are hacks. Level 100 shinies? Those seem like hacks to me, but I don't know for certain. They can be legit, but I doubt it.
Crobat:
Looks perfectly legit.

The lv.5 OT:NYC Mews I've seen floating around on GTS lately are fakes, right?
I don't have one myself, so I can't provide anymore info.

Snorlax:
I believe Link Trade is only for in game trades, and since there is no in game trade for Snorlax, Hacked I think.
Regice and Registeel:
I'm 99% sure they are hacks. Level 100 shinies? Those seem like hacks to me, but I don't know for certain. They can be legit, but I doubt it.
Crobat:
Looks perfectly legit.

"link trade" is for wireless trades

the only way we can tell if these are hacks is if you post all the details as we* are only going on hunches at the moment

(*well, he is...)

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom