• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Island Trials

I want more longer games. So 8 badges + trials are good enough for the main quest. I want longer version like Gen 2 and 4 games. Unova had a well enough post story, but the main game was the shortest main game of all time in terms of actual gameplay (1o routes, 11 towns) with the story and the text flood spanning the whole thing to the usual lenght. Kalos was longer, pretty much the size of Hoenn, but pretty much no real post game things.

But based on the overworld map and no visible post game area, it's gonna be similiar to Kalos or even shorter.

howlongtobeat says that XY were longer than Emerald though lmao
For someone who has invested many months into Emerald, I find that very hard to believe.

I really hope that Sun and Moon is even longer than Emerald, Platinum, HGSS or B2W2. :)

For someone who has invested many months into Emerald, I find that very hard to believe.

I really hope that Sun and Moon is even longer than Emerald, Platinum, HGSS or B2W2. :)
depends on how you quantify beat. main campaigns are 30 and 32, for Emerald and XY respectively. main+extras are listed as 157.5 and 196.5, respectively. even speedruns for Emerald are faster than XY, though there's a general shortage of data on that end. numbers and stats aside, length is almost irrelevant since the games are so heavily influenced by players. for example, as you have invested many months into Emerald, i've done the same with XY.

I wouldn't mind the trials as long as the gym leaders and elite four are kept as part of the game. It be a very interesting thing to do in the game.

depends on how you quantify beat. main campaigns are 30 and 32, for Emerald and XY respectively. main+extras are listed as 157.5 and 196.5, respectively. even speedruns for Emerald are faster than XY, though there's a general shortage of data on that end. numbers and stats aside, length is almost irrelevant since the games are so heavily influenced by players. for example, as you have invested many months into Emerald, i've done the same with XY.
Guess it differs from person to person. I may feel that one game has way more content than an other game. While someone else will feel otherwise.

I wouldn't mind the trials as long as the gym leaders and elite four are kept as part of the game. It be a very interesting thing to do in the game.
I have a feeling that the gym leaders and elite four will stay. They have been in all the main games so far and apart of the formula forever. So why would they be removed now?

It may vary from person to person, but these are statistical averages.

Though on the general topic, I really really want SM (or any Pokemon games for that matter) to be longer. Much longer. At least the length of HGSS, minimum. Besides HGSS/GSC, every other game has seemed way too short to me. I would love an additional region, but I won't get my hopes up or get into that conversation.

How long does it take to beat your favorite games? - HowLongToBeat.com

Guess it differs from person to person. I may feel that one game has way more content than an other game. While someone else will feel otherwise.

Based on ingame time, I agree with him. XY's main game + post game was slightly longer due to the very large gap between gym 1 and 2. Hoenn does have more routes, but many of them are more of a part of a bigger route. The seapath from Pacifigloh to Slateport is splitted into 3 routes, while it could be summaried into one. The same with Dewford to Slateport and the water routes between Moosdeep and the Evergrande. Also the same amount of towns and Kalos post game is also bigger.

Can't see why Emerald is considered as a long game. May have quite some backtracking, but that's it.

Based on ingame time, I agree with him. XY's main game + post game was slightly longer due to the very large gap between gym 1 and 2. Hoenn does have more routes, but many of them are more of a part of a bigger route. The seapath from Pacifigloh to Slateport is splitted into 3 routes, while it could be summaried into one. The same with Dewford to Slateport and the water routes between Moosdeep and the Evergrande. Also the same amount of towns and Kalos post game is also bigger.

Can't see why Emerald is considered as a long game. May have quite some backtracking, but that's it.
The one reason I see Emerald as longer is due to the Battle Frontier. That place alone takes months of one's time.

But this is all off-topic. Let's get back on track. I think that the island trials will be fun, unique and exciting! :)

The one reason I see Emerald as longer is due to the Battle Frontier. That place alone takes months of one's time.

But this is all off-topic. Let's get back on track. I think that the island trials will be fun, unique and exciting! :)
Yeah the battle frontier was a pain in the a**. But that fall under the "Battle facility" category, so...

I think I'd prefer gyms over Island Trials.
I think it's the nostalgia around gyms that got me. I used to dream of being a gym leader when I was little.

Betting Island Trials are related to the new move mechanic since there seems to be multiple "poses" that the trainer learns.

I'm open to this, so long as they don't outright replace gyms. There's some parts of the Pokémon franchise that would be stupid for Game Freak to retire and I feel that the gyms are one such example. They're too deeply ingrained within the concept of an in-game Pokémon journey to scrap without something going wrong.

I'm open to this, so long as they don't outright replace gyms. There's some parts of the Pokémon franchise that would be stupid for Game Freak to retire and I feel that the gyms are one such example. They're too deeply ingrained within the concept of an in-game Pokémon journey to scrap without something going wrong.
I am actually a bit tired of gyms I fee that the island trials and gyms will exist both, but a change would be nice :)

I'm still skeptical as to what still exists and how it exists because there still is a trainer card option on the pause menu and it has something resembling a badge case.

@Mitchman; Actually could you provide a possible screen shot of that? I'm curious about the trainer card option myself.

@Mitchman; Thank you very much! But I am beginning to see exactly what you mean. It does seem as though the blog is a badge.

These are the 6 slots (From left to right):
1. Pokemon
2. Pokedex
3. Bag
4. Save
5. Trainer card
6. ???, it looks like the bracelet the trainer wears.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom