• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Kalos Region Speculation and Discussion

Re: Region Speculation and Discussion Thread

I was thinking what if we're not seeing all of the cities on the map, as in what if some of them are underground? Those minecarts to the north east are something to speculate about and what if it leads to some sort of underground city?

The region already looks pretty big, so it may be difficult for them to add more cities... but it would be cool nonetheless...
What if the mines lead to an Underground place like in DPPt? I loved The Underground, it would be awesome to bring it back....

That sounds okay, but what I really want back is the Secret Bases of RSE.

Yeah I definitely wish they'd make a comeback, they were awesome

Personally, I enjoyed the Underground much more than Secret Bases. Buuut... this is the 3DS, the handheld that supports up to 8 GB carts, so why not have both and please everyone? :D

Do people ride goats in France? No they ride them in Spain or Greece. This means it's a mish-mash of cultures. Not just France, there's much more than just France.

Anybody else think the "new technology is awesome" guy is the one here?

http://abload.de/img/1368918803528pyjbx.gif

He's usually in the player character's hometown...

That would further hints towards the theory that the southmost town on the map is the starting town:

View attachment 87170
Its already a given, with route 3 north of the forest. It doesn't show, but route 2 is between the villa and forest.

Seems kinda weird to have a starting town with only one building in it... sure, the map art is usually simplified, but showing only one building at all for a multi-house town seems weird. Does the main character just live in a big mansion out in the middle of nowhere? Or maybe that's an apartment building? That'd be new, at least.

Maybe it's just some houses very close together, insted of being separated like in the previous games.

Seems kinda weird to have a starting town with only one building in it... sure, the map art is usually simplified, but showing only one building at all for a multi-house town seems weird. Does the main character just live in a big mansion out in the middle of nowhere? Or maybe that's an apartment building? That'd be new, at least.

Artwork for Unova does that too, even for cities:

UNOVA.jpg

Yep as said, Unova's map is very simple, so its not a surprise to see it happen again. Which is perhaps why I can read the map so easily. I'm not trying to belittle anyone, I just think a lot of people are confused on how to read the map, and get all the little details there are. But I'm also not saying that I'm perfect, as I cannot get just what the hell is going on in the west. Is it a chapel seperate from the city on the edge of the giant palace, or is one city with a chapel? Stuff like that is too ambiguous to figure out right now, but at least most of it is graspable in terms of picturing the region.
Best thing however is that you can't spot the gyms, or at least all of them. I'm super glad for them keeping us on our toes in that department.

Ah, I'd forgotten Unova's map was like that, too.

Anybody else think the "new technology is awesome" guy is the one here?

http://abload.de/img/1368918803528pyjbx.gif

He's usually in the player character's hometown...

That would further hints towards the theory that the southmost town on the map is the starting town:

View attachment 87170

I thought that, as well. I also guessed that the northern building would be the Professor's Lab if that was true.

Blue roof is after route1 Gaara, lab should be red roof left, as Pokesmash footage gave us pokeball statues in front of it.

No problem, its pretty hard to get the map. Route 3 is the one before the green roofs, so obviousl route 2 is between blue roof and forest. I really should get around to updating the first post to ease the confusion.

No problem, its pretty hard to get the map. Route 3 is the one before the green roofs, so obviousl route 2 is between blue roof and forest. I really should get around to updating the first post to ease the confusion.

But then is "blue roof" another town? Or does it only consist of the "PokeMansion" we can already see?

(Can someone answer the above question?)

Anyway, I realized something about the regional dex which helps us know something about the region. In the first pic about splitting the dex into three, they gave us numbers that were something like 77 in the central dex, 51 in the coastal, and 6 in the mountain. Also, many of us think that the Coastal side of the region is the west, and the Mountain side is in the east. If this is true, it gives evidence that we'll be able to go to west side of the region first, probably from Lumiose, and then go to the east later.

But then is "blue roof" another town? Or does it only consist of the "PokeMansion" we can already see?

It could easily be another town. In the original Unova map, many of the towns (even when they had quite a few buildings and residents) only had one building or landmark visible on the map while the rest of the buildings and sign of population/size were not visible until release.

Anyway, I realized something about the regional dex which helps us know something about the region. In the first pic about splitting the dex into three, they gave us numbers that were something like 77 in the central dex, 51 in the coastal, and 6 in the mountain. Also, many of us think that the Coastal side of the region is the west, and the Mountain side is in the east. If this is true, it gives evidence that we'll be able to go to west side of the region first, probably from Lumiose, and then go to the east later.

There's another screenshot that gives 9 for central, 0 for coastal and 2 for mountainous, though, so either you weave in and out of all three of them, you can find species in one dex section in other places, or which section you visit first is variable somehow.

There's another screenshot that gives 9 for central, 0 for coastal and 2 for mountainous, though, so either you weave in and out of all three of them, you can find species in one dex section in other places, or which section you visit first is variable somehow.

Maybe it varies depending on the version. For example, we might to go the coast first in X and the mountains first in Y. This would make the two games quite different from each other, and perhaps encourage buying both versions.

It could easily be another town. In the original Unova map, many of the towns (even when they had quite a few buildings and residents) only had one building or landmark visible on the map while the rest of the buildings and sign of population/size were not visible until release.

Yup, you're right about that, I forgot how the Unova map looked.

I'd assume that you can find some species in different dexes, since it makes more sense than going around the whole map, especially because that screenshot was likely from the beginning of the game.
We should also note that the regional dex counts SEEN Pokemon too, so we may see Pokemon from the other dexes in trainer battles, which could provide another explanation for those numbers.

Maybe it varies depending on the version. For example, we might to go the coast first in X and the mountains first in Y. This would make the two games quite different from each other, and perhaps encourage buying both versions.

I actually like this idea a lot, as it gives more uniqueness to each version, moreso than other other double version games. It would be even cooler if we got the option to travel either to the west first or the east first (which I think would happen for a Pokemon Z Sequel/Remake, if something like that were to happen.)

Back
Top Bottom