• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The New Mega Evolutions Thread (MOD NOTE: Read first post!)

Favourite ORAS Mega so far?

• Mega Sceptile

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Mega Swampert

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Mega Diancie

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Mega Sableye

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Mega Metagross

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Mega Altaria

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • Mega Salamence

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mega Lopunny

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Mega Audino

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Mega Slowbro

• Mega Gallade

Votes: 15 14.3%
  • Mega Camerupt

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mega Sharpedo

• Mega Rayquaza

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Mega Latias

• Mega Latios

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Mega Pidgeot

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Mega Beedrill

Votes: 9 8.6%
  • Mega Glalie

• Mega Steelix

• Total voters
I really liked the idea that someone had earlier about giving Mega Milotic Serene Grace. That way physical attackers can't switch in without getting burnt and, provided it has moonblast, special attackers can't switch in either.

I feel like Milotic should get a speed boost. She's too slow and she's basically a sea snake so she should be faster in water than most other water 'mon.

There's really no point in being so fast if you're not going to hit hard, and we're oversaturated with offensive Megas. Water/Fairy is an excellent defensive typing, it doesn't need speed.

Besides, those stat changes mirror the stat changes given to M-Gyarados. Both Gyarados and Milotic had the same base stats, but switched around, so I raised Milotic's the same way Gyarados' was raised.

Well, it doesn't make sense in terms of metagame, but again, she's based off of a sea serpent. Sea snakes are very fast swimmers, so shouldn't a Pokémon that takes their place in the ecosystem mimic that as well?

I really liked the idea that someone had earlier about giving Mega Milotic Serene Grace. That way physical attackers can't switch in without getting burnt and, provided it has moonblast, special attackers can't switch in either.

While it's a good idea it just sounds incredibly broken. How would you beat it? Water/Fairy is a great typing, Mega Milotic would be very bulky and it has Recover (it could also use Rest if it wanted to). It could tank most hits easily, reduce your stats, then Recover off the damage. It's a good idea but it's way too much.

Edit: I'll clarify that I do think Mega Milotic should use Scald + Moonblast if it's Water/Fairy, as I suggested earlier in the thread, but Serene Grace would be too much. If you've ever played against a Serene Grace Jirachi you'll know just how often 60% happens. Milotic is already very bulky on the special side, a Mega would only improve that, meaning you'd most likely look towards physical attackers to beat it, so 60% Scald means most physical attackers have no chance of breaking it in a few turns because they'll end up useless burnt and Milotic will simply Recover back the health because Water/Fairy is an amazing typing.

If any Mega gets Serene Grace, I'd like it to be Mega Swanna. That way, it gets the burn on Scald, the confusion on Hurricane, the flinch on Air Slash AND would make Swanna relevant. Mega Milotic with something like Marvel Scale, Multiscale or Regenerator would be good. Regenerator might even be too much given its typing and defences.

Last edited:

While it's a good idea it just sounds incredibly broken. How would you beat it? Water/Fairy is a great typing, Mega Milotic would be very bulky and it has Recover (it could also use Rest if it wanted to). It could tank most hits easily, reduce your stats, then Recover off the damage. It's a good idea but it's way too much.

Edit: I'll clarify that I do think Mega Milotic should use Scald + Moonblast if it's Water/Fairy, as I suggested earlier in the thread, but Serene Grace would be too much. If you've ever played against a Serene Grace Jirachi you'll know just how often 60% happens. Milotic is already very bulky on the special side, a Mega would only improve that, meaning you'd most likely look towards physical attackers to beat it, so 60% Scald means most physical attackers have no chance of breaking it in a few turns because they'll end up useless burnt and Milotic will simply Recover back the health because Water/Fairy is an amazing typing.

If any Mega gets Serene Grace, I'd like it to be Mega Swanna. That way, it gets the burn on Scald, the confusion on Hurricane, the flinch on Air Slash AND would make Swanna relevant. Mega Milotic with something like Marvel Scale, Multiscale or Regenerator would be good. Regenerator might even be too much given its typing and defences.

Yeah, I'm incredibly biased. Milotic was my favourite Pokemon for ages and it's saddened me seeing it slip down the tiers since third gen. I want to see it become the next Garchomp, unrealistic as it may be.

The obvious counters would be mold breakers like Mega Ampharos, although a lot of them are weak to water/fairy. Magic Bounce or Magic Guard would also work, but they're all specially oriented. Other than that, how do you counter Togekiss or Jirachi? Just run something super effective and faster, which isn't hard in this case, smash it as hard as you can and hope for the best.

Serene Grace fits really well from an aesthetic stand point as well. :p

EDIT: It doesn't make as much sense and is getting away from the defensive water/fairy we all want to see, but how would Sheer Force water/fairy work? It can't abuse life orb like most, but it could still be a bulky attacker with a solid special attack stat, reliable recovery, a good offensive and defensive typing.

Oh, YEAH! Swanna is a beautiful Pokemon, it deserves a Mega. Perhaps Water/Fairy or something.

Yeah, I'm incredibly biased. Milotic was my favourite Pokemon for ages and it's saddened me seeing it slip down the tiers since third gen. I want to see it become the next Garchomp, unrealistic as it may be.

The obvious counters would be mold breakers like Mega Ampharos, although a lot of them are weak to water/fairy. Magic Bounce or Magic Guard would also work, but they're all specially oriented. Other than that, how do you counter Togekiss or Jirachi? Just run something super effective and faster, which isn't hard in this case, smash it as hard as you can and hope for the best.

Serene Grace fits really well from an aesthetic stand point as well. :p

EDIT: It doesn't make as much sense and is getting away from the defensive water/fairy we all want to see, but how would Sheer Force water/fairy work? It can't abuse life orb like most, but it could still be a bulky attacker with a solid special attack stat, reliable recovery, a good offensive and defensive typing.

Honestly just making it Water/Fairy and adding Moonblast will make it an amazing Pokemon, it really doesn't need Serene Grace. Mold Breaker doesn't affect Serene Grace, and Mega Ampharos can't switch into it because of Moonblast. And Milotic is faster, so Moonblast would lower its Sp.Atk most likely meaning you wouldn't be doing that much if you aren't killed first.

Jirachi and Togekiss are different. Jirachi was a huge threat before the Steel nerf, and Steel/Psychic wasn't amazing when compared to how good Water/Fairy is - it was good, but compared to Water/Fairy it's almost nothing these days. Fairy/Flying is a good typing, but again, not really comparable to Water/Fairy as it has a number of bad weaknesses. Also both don't have STAB moves such as Scald and Moonblast to neuter both offensive sides (well Jirachi does get Moonblast via an event, but after the Steel nerf Jirachi dropped a lot) that might try to switch into it. Also Mega Milotic would have 95/109/155 defences.... compared to Jirachi's 100/100/100 and Togekiss 85/95/115, with most likely 130 Sp.Atk compared to Jirachi's 100 and Togekiss 115.

95/70/109/130/155/81 - Mega Milo
100/100/100/100/100/100 - Jirachi
85/50/95/120/115/80 - Togekiss

Amazing stats and typing can't be stressed enough.

Togekiss notably doesn't even receive Moonblast. Basically Serene Grace with Togekiss comes down to paraflinch and maybe the odd Fire Blast burn if it chooses to run it. Jirachi also relies on paraflinch with the occassional move like Fire Punch having notable secondary effects. Both are annoying strategies, but would be nothing compared to a Mega Milotic with 95/109/155 defences, an amazing defensive typing, burning all your physical attackers, and cutting the Sp.Atk of all your special attackers then just recovering off the damage. And it would proceed to do this to most of your team. How would you begin to break through it with any sort of offence? You just wouldn't unless it was like a Poison/Electric move on a strong Pokemon at +2. It would make Pokemon like Thundurus even more common. It would be too much imo.

Also consider this: you switch a special attacker into Scald, it gets burnt, next turn you attack while Milotic uses Moonblast, it gets the Sp.Atk drop. Next turn you try to attack again, it doesn't die and Milotic can just Recover stalls you to death because you're now burnt and your Sp.Atk has dropped. This could apply to Scald and Moonblast anyway, but 60% happens way more often than you'd think, while 30% is less in your favour.

Milotic is one of my favourite Pokemon, but I really don't think that Serene Grace + Scald + Moonblast Mega Milotic should exist unless you want to put yourself through pain trying to beat it. Mega Milotic with Water/Fairy alone would be amazing. Given their obsession with -ate abilities, I wouldn't be surprised if it gets Pixilate if they do indeed make it Water/Fairy but they'd need to add some good Normal moves if that's the boring route they want to take.

Sheer Force kinda goes against Milotic being calm and benevolent, so unless it suddenly becomes super angry upon Mega Evolving, I don't think it's likely.

sorry for the super huge post btw. :x

And that's why I don't battle competitively: I'm awful at it. In one of my first battles, I remember 4 of my Pokemon fell to a Vaporeon. -_-' You're definitely more competent than me at this (which isn't saying much since a dead goldfish could outplay me) so I will bow to your superior knowledge of the metagame. I just hope that Milotic can get a defensive mega that will give the annoying presence in OU it once had.

Well I'm definitely no expert, and I'm sure good battlers would say I'm blowing the idea out of proportion.

But as I said, Water/Fairy alone would make Mega Milotic a very good defensive Mega (I wanted Milotic to be a Fairy since before XY's release, I was sad to hear it wasn't - same with Mismagius). Adding Fairy helps pretty much anything. If they consider Moonblast too much then they should at least give it Dazzling Gleam.

Also here's an idea: Mega Torkoal with Contrary. Torkoal is one of my favourite Pokemon and I went to check its egg moves before breeding one and they have, rather bizarrely, added Superpower to its egg moves this gen when it couldn't even learn Superpower through tutors in previous generations. Seems odd. So Superpower + Overheat + Contrary Mega Torkoal? :D

Meanwhile Serperior will watch Mega Torkoal battling, a single tear rolling down its serpentine cheek.

Me and a friend were discussing this a few months back; but what about a mega breloom?

For design changes, its mushroom turns into wone of those stereotypical straw hats, and its tail grows a few mushrooms going up to the top?

For stat changes:

HP:60-60 (+0)
ATK: 130-160 (+30)
DEF: 80-70 (-10)
SP.ATK: 60-90 (+30)
SPD: 60-70 (+10)
SPEED: 60-100 (+40)

Last edited:
^ Why does Breloom lose Def when you only gave it a 100 point boost? They only reduce stats if the increase gained be mega evolution is over 100, no? Though I do like the idea of a Mega Breloom. I wonder if it would keep Tactician like Scizor did.

If Mega Milotic does happen and is Water/Fairy, I think Pixilate will be a likely possibility.

^ Why does Breloom lose Def when you only gave it a 100 point boost? They only reduce stats if the increase gained be mega evolution is over 100, no? Though I do like the idea of a Mega Breloom. I wonder if it would keep Tactician like Scizor did.

If Mega Milotic does happen and is Water/Fairy, I think Pixilate will be a likely possibility.

Sorry, fixed it.

Goodness, I hope not. The -ate moves have lost their novelty and feel more like cheap add-ons at this point.

I don't mind -ate abilities as a concept, nor do I mind them on Pokemon like Mega Pinsir or Mega Salamence that lack good STAB. But Pixilate on Sylveon and Mega Gardevoir seems a waste when they already have Moonblast. I know that it makes Hyper Voice very powerful, but it isn't like they were lacking Fairy STAB and needed Hyper Voice. So I really hope a potential Mega Milotic doesn't have Pixilate because it seems boring and lazy, and Milotic lacks any useful Normal moves to actually benefit from it.

All Mega's (except M. Alakazam) get a 100-point boost. In some cases one stat is reduced in order to give another stat a much needed boost in order to preserve the 100 point limit. M. Ampharos for example, loses Speed, as does Abomasnow. They both only get a 100-point boost, but reducing Speed makes the boost seem much larger.

Sorry, fixed it.

Sorry to be anal, but mega-evolving doesn't increase HP. A boost to defense/special defense, maybe?

Goodness, I hope not. The -ate moves have lost their novelty and feel more like cheap add-ons at this point.

Hmm. I feel like a Water/Fairy Mega Milotic could potentially make good use of Pixilate, but it's something that Mega Gardevoir does, and something that Mega Altaria will undoubtedly do.

Although it would be a different case if it got an '-ate' ability that was Water-type as opposed to Fairy.

Sorry to be anal, but mega-evolving doesn't increase HP. A boost to defense/special defense, maybe?

Just because none of the Mega's so far haven't had an HP boost doesn't mean it's not possible. It's a stat just like any other. Maybe Mega Audino will get an HP boost? :)

Hmm. I feel like a Water/Fairy Mega Milotic could potentially make good use of Pixilate, but it's something that Mega Gardevoir does, and something that Mega Altaria will undoubtedly do.

Although it would be a different case if it got an '-ate' ability that was Water-type as opposed to Fairy.

Fixed it again; now has equal defenses, brutal attacking skills, fast enough to do damage, but not fast enough to outspeed most of its threats.

I feel like a Water/Fairy Mega Milotic could potentially make good use of Pixilate

With what moves exactly? It's gonna have 70 base Attack, no way to boost it, so Return sucks. It'll have 130 Sp.Atk, but it doesn't learn Hyper Voice and its next best options are... Swift and Hyper Beam. At that point they might as well just give it Dazzling Gleam/Moonblast AND a good ability. Pixilate on a Mega Milotic is honestly just bad and they shouldn't go anywhere near that option, especially with how boring the -ate abilities are.

Back
Top Bottom