• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Official "Rate my One Pokemon" Thread

Your Spiritomb should have an attacking move, or else Taunt will be an issue. You should choose an STAB from which attacking stat is higher.

Thanks. I guess Imprison is out, and, because my atk/ Sp.A stats are low, I'm thinking about Foul Play, which should bypass most of that and isn't ghost type, so it will work (barely) against Normal

@The_Spiritomb

I've never heard of Imprison being used competitively. To me it is one of those moves like Thief or Recycle, which seem nifty and strategic in theory, but in practice you just can't afford to waste a moveslot on them. Because then you might be KO'd before you've even began your main assault. Same with Spite as well, maybe. Although, PP loss is permanent (i.e. you can't undo it by switching out, unlike the effects of Imprison and things like confusion and stat changes).

---

I want to train a Whimsicott but I am not sure about the EV spread. I don't want to look at what Smogon has because I like my Pokemon to have personal touches instead of copying off a template. I was thinking this moveset as a Bulky Special Sweeper:

Ability: Prankster
*Encore
*Giga Drain/Energy Ball
*Hurricane
*Psychic/Leech Seed

With Prankster, I can make doubly sure that Encore will work properly. e.g. opponent uses grass type move to wipe out my water Pokemon, I send out Whimsicott, and Encore opponent to use only NFE grass moves or force a switch out. I'm not sure about having three different special attacks, or having Leech Seed on my moveset. Because of Prankster I won't need to invest in Speed EVS as moving first won't be desperately important if the opponent is Encored or I am supported by Leech Seed. So maybe something like 252 Special Attack, 252 Special Defense, 4 HP? Base Defense is already quite good, hence the Special Defense focus.

@The_Spiritomb

I've never heard of Imprison being used competitively. To me it is one of those moves like Thief or Recycle, which seem nifty and strategic in theory, but in practice you just can't afford to waste a moveslot on them. Because then you might be KO'd before you've even began your main assault. Same with Spite as well, maybe. Although, PP loss is permanent (i.e. you can't undo it by switching out, unlike the effects of Imprison and things like confusion and stat changes)..

it's somewhat gimmicky, but it could potentially be used on like... landorus-t or something with like stealth rock / imprison / eq / hp ice. it's also a lot better than you'd expect in vgc, too. it's not a good move in most situations because it's extremely situational, but when it works, you pretty much shut down your opponent.

@
---

I want to train a Whimsicott but I am not sure about the EV spread. I don't want to look at what Smogon has because I like my Pokemon to have personal touches instead of copying off a template. I was thinking this moveset as a Bulky Special Sweeper:

Ability: Prankster
*Encore
*Giga Drain/Energy Ball
*Hurricane
*Psychic/Leech Seed

With Prankster, I can make doubly sure that Encore will work properly. e.g. opponent uses grass type move to wipe out my water Pokemon, I send out Whimsicott, and Encore opponent to use only NFE grass moves or force a switch out. I'm not sure about having three different special attacks, or having Leech Seed on my moveset. Because of Prankster I won't need to invest in Speed EVS as moving first won't be desperately important if the opponent is Encored or I am supported by Leech Seed. So maybe something like 252 Special Attack, 252 Special Defense, 4 HP? Base Defense is already quite good, hence the Special Defense focus.

whimsicott is one of the best subseeder in the game use this
whimsicott @ leftovers prankster
nature: bold
evs: 252 hp 252 def 4spD
protect
leech seed
substitute
encore

or just use i different ability with the sweeper

Last edited:
Wigglytuff
Relaxed nature (+Def, -Spd)
104 ATK, 252 DEF, 152 SPDEF
Leftovers

Dynamic Punch
Hyper Voice
Blizzard/Thunder
Heal Bell

I haven't got all those moves on it yet. But regardless, this was a complete disappointment. I haven't used Wiggly before but I expected it to be a bulky wall like Blissey but to a lesser extent. I know Wiggly is apparently the worst out of Clefable and Blissey but I prefer using NU Pokemon and Wigglytuff is one of my favourites. This Wiggly I bred has a perfect Attack IV and the rest of the IVs are average to above average-high. So I knew the base 45 Defense had to be maximised, so I gave it a Relaxed nature and 252 EVs in Def. Since most Fighting type moves are physical. I gave it 152 EVS in Special Def since Special attacks are less likely to be used against it. Then, to go with my strategy, 104 EVS to boost Attack.

The Strategy was meant to be a basic Wall and Cleric with mixed attacking power (ATK + SPATK moves) to chip away at the opponent. Drain Punch seemed perfect as it would recover some of Wigglys lost HP. Hyper Voice for STAB, and a strong 120 base power attack like Thunder or Blizzard.

How wrong was I. I tested it in the Battle Subway. It came up a against a Mienfoo. Mienfoo uses Jump Kick...Wigglytuff loses 90% OF HP! And it's not even a critical hit! A little Mienfoo...on the Battle Subway...non EV trained...against over 200 HP and over 100 Defense on Wigglytuff. Yes, I know Fighting is supereffective against Normal. But still. I expected a move like Jump Kick to only do 30% or less. So that was it... No point using Drain Punch as it wouldn't recover near enough HP to survive another hit. Useless. I was looking forward to this Pokemon.

Subsequent battles, even against normal effective moves, Wigglytuff couldn't keep up. What went wrong?

My latest creation

Aggron
Sturdy 252atk/252hp/4sdef +atk -spd nature forget name
Custap berry
Metal Burst
Endevour
Thunder Wave
Stone Edge

Basically designed to take out sweepers with metal burst following sturdy survival and then endevour/stone edge to ruin the oponents next revenge killer unless they have priority.

My latest creation

Aggron
Custap berry
Metal Burst
Endevour
Thunder Wave
Stone Edge

Basically designed to take out sweepers with metal burst following sturdy survival and then endevour/stone edge to ruin the oponents next revenge killer unless they have priority.

personally i like stealth rock > thunder wave on this thing with max atk / max speed but i think you have the right idea? not my favorite aggron set (sub / magnet rise / head smash / focus punch is the one i'm fondest of) but it can work i guess

edit: also, make sure aggron's defense evs are as low as possible; you're going to want to get into sturdy / custap range as soon as possible.

Wigglytuff
Leftovers

Dynamic Punch
Hyper Voice
Blizzard/Thunder
Heal Bell

I haven't got all those moves on it yet. But regardless, this was a complete disappointment. I haven't used Wiggly before but I expected it to be a bulky wall like Blissey but to a lesser extent. I know Wiggly is apparently the worst out of Clefable and Blissey but I prefer using NU Pokemon and Wigglytuff is one of my favourites. This Wiggly I bred has a perfect Attack IV and the rest of the IVs are average to above average-high. So I knew the base 45 Defense had to be maximised, so I gave it a Relaxed nature and 252 EVs in Def. Since most Fighting type moves are physical. I gave it 152 EVS in Special Def since Special attacks are less likely to be used against it. Then, to go with my strategy, 104 EVS to boost Attack.

The Strategy was meant to be a basic Wall and Cleric with mixed attacking power (ATK + SPATK moves) to chip away at the opponent. Drain Punch seemed perfect as it would recover some of Wigglys lost HP. Hyper Voice for STAB, and a strong 120 base power attack like Thunder or Blizzard.

How wrong was I. I tested it in the Battle Subway. It came up a against a Mienfoo. Mienfoo uses Jump Kick...Wigglytuff loses 90% OF HP! And it's not even a critical hit! A little Mienfoo...on the Battle Subway...non EV trained...against over 200 HP and over 100 Defense on Wigglytuff. Yes, I know Fighting is supereffective against Normal. But still. I expected a move like Jump Kick to only do 30% or less. So that was it... No point using Drain Punch as it wouldn't recover near enough HP to survive another hit. Useless. I was looking forward to this Pokemon.

Subsequent battles, even against normal effective moves, Wigglytuff couldn't keep up. What went wrong?

that wigglytuff takes physical hits only slightly better than 4/252 blissey, a pokemon notorious for its poor defenses (if you've ever used blissey as your designated physical wall, you'll know how that works out). also i'm not really sure how you could imagine that a 100 bp, super-effective stab move would do <30%, but okay. wigglytuff is just ultimately too frail to wall anything, especially with your set, which lacks any form of recovery beyond leftovers and can't really do anything but hit for mediocre chip damage on things that can either 2hko or ohko you. so much of walling depends on a combination of resistances and bulk - wigglytuff has neither. i mean, yeah, you'll have exceptions like blissey with ludicrous 255/135 special bulk but wigglytuff doesn't have that (actually, imo bliss is garbage in this generation but that's another discussion). wigglytuff has only one immunity to a fairly common type, but that alone isn't enough to make it worthy of a team slot.

here's a question, one that might be good when thinking of using a defensive pokemon: what is it going to wall, exactly? off of the top of my head i can't think of anything that it'll be capable of staving off aside from like... support altaria, which

0 SpA Wigglytuff Blizzard vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Altaria: 192-228 (54.39 - 64.58%)

can just avoid the 2hko by roosting and can thus stall you out, or even toxic you if it carries it, lol

80/75 offenses are also extremely underwhelming, especially when you have so little investment put into them. you don't need the attack evs at all. sure, it's a waste of the perfect iv, but you're not using it for anything but a laughably weak fighting move as it stands. you should just go pure special imo, if you intend on running this. battle subway isn't really meant for walling anyway, if i remember correctly: you should be focused on trying to kill a myriad of pokemon as easily and as reliably as possible

tl;dr - your wigglytuff performed inadequately due to a mix of no reliable recovery, poor defenses, weak attacks (i admit that i underestimated hyper voice but it almost never 2hkos mienshao so that's really embarrassing), and its incongruity to the 'metagame' you're putting it in

edit: hahaha it's 5 am and i'm criticizing pokemon movesets instead of sleeping, why am i so pathetic

Last edited:
personally i like stealth rock > thunder wave on this thing with max atk / max speed but i think you have the right idea? not my favorite aggron set (sub / magnet rise / head smash / focus punch is the one i'm fondest of) but it can work i guess

Wigglytuff
Leftovers

Dynamic Punch
Hyper Voice
Blizzard/Thunder
Heal Bell

that wigglytuff takes physical hits only slightly better than 4/252 blissey, a pokemon notorious for its poor defenses (if you've ever used blissey as your designated physical wall, you'll know how that works out). also i'm not really sure how you could imagine that a 100 bp, super-effective stab move would do <30%, but okay. wigglytuff is just ultimately too frail to wall anything, especially with your set, which lacks any form of recovery beyond leftovers and can't really do anything but hit for mediocre chip damage on things that can either 2hko or ohko you. so much of walling depends on a combination of resistances and bulk - wigglytuff has neither. i mean, yeah, you'll have exceptions like blissey with ludicrous 255/135 special bulk but wigglytuff doesn't have that (actually, imo bliss is garbage in this generation but that's another discussion). wigglytuff has only one immunity to a fairly common type, but that alone isn't enough to make it worthy of a team slot.

here's a question, one that might be good when thinking of using a defensive pokemon: what is it going to wall, exactly? off of the top of my head i can't think of anything that it'll be capable of staving off aside from like... support altaria, which

0 SpA Wigglytuff Blizzard vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Altaria: 192-228 (54.39 - 64.58%)

can just avoid the 2hko by roosting and can thus stall you out, or even toxic you if it carries it, lol

80/75 offenses are also extremely underwhelming, especially when you have so little investment put into them. you don't need the attack evs at all. sure, it's a waste of the perfect iv, but you're not using it for anything but a laughably weak fighting move as it stands. you should just go pure special imo, if you intend on running this. battle subway isn't really meant for walling anyway, if i remember correctly: you should be focused on trying to kill a myriad of pokemon as easily and as reliably as possible

tl;dr - your wigglytuff performed inadequately due to a mix of no reliable recovery, poor defenses, weak attacks (i admit that i underestimated hyper voice but it almost never 2hkos mienshao so that's really embarrassing), and its incongruity to the 'metagame' you're putting it in

edit: hahaha it's 5 am and i'm criticizing pokemon movesets instead of sleeping, why am i so pathetic

Well thank you for the good answer. By the way, where I wrote Dynamic Punch in the moveset is meant to be Drain Punch. Which is a form of recovery albeit small. I guess I thought that because of the base 140 HP then it could stand to take multiple hits before a KO. I'm a returning Pokemon fan and new to competitive battling but know the basics. Obviously screwed this one up.. Maybe a 252HP/252DEF would be better, but it would still be a 2KO from Mienfoo.

EDIT: I'm still going to make the perfect Wigglytuff. I know the content on Smogon etc is probably the best bet but I like custom movesets.

Last edited:
http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/492_s.gif

Shaymin-Sky Forme-Razor Fang
Ability-Serene Grace
Evs- SpA (365) Spe(300)
Modest Nature
Energy Ball
Seed Flare
Air Slash
Earth Power

Shaymin is designed for me to use gurilla warfare which is hit and run. He has a good move set in my opinion and I like how they are all special attack. Seed flare can do a lot of damage when my Special attack is 365. Energy ball is more acurate and i have more of em. Air Slash is helpful because of flinching + serene grace combo and earth power protects it from some of its weaknesses. The item for me was hard as I didn't know if I should give him a miracle seed or a razor claw, and I thought that since shaymin has Serene Grace having a razor fang would be a more effective item to hold. I need some advice should I add/delete moves or should I change item.

P.s I need a defense against ice types.

I've got a team of three set up, but i'll do it one at a time and see how each fair by themselves:

First is my physical war/powerhouse, he suffers from an unfortunate type disadvantage to ground and fighting, but good against most type wise. My main troubles are dealing with the lack of spdef and just avoiding those two types

Pkm: Aggron
Ability: Heavy Metal (x2 weight, total: 1600ish lbs)
Nature: -Spatt +spdef
EVs: HP and spdef
Item: Rocky Helmet or Leftovers, not sure yet
Moves:
Sandstorm - I was worried about spdef and found out that this increases rock type pkms spdef by 50%, golden find that i didn't know about
Earthquake
Heavy Slam - STAB and it's power determined by weight difference, for any pkm under 320lbs its 120 power 100% accuracy
Head Smash - STAB, i greatly dislike recoil moves, but i think it might work out fine

Edit:
Forgot to mention a question for anyone with feedback: Am I overcompensating too much for the spdef? should i instead put EVs into hp/def or hp and spdef/def?
Or should i focus on boosting attack and use it as a physical wall and just avoid putting it up against special attacks?

Also, since you also suggested an aggron:
My latest creation

Aggron
Custap berry
Metal Burst
Endevour
Thunder Wave
Stone Edge

I would suspect that someone else coming in would easily be able to attack before you use endeavor, especially since you have -spd nature on an already very low speed. have you been able to use that move effectively before?

Last edited:
bajuwa, custap berry ensures that you move first if you have less <25% hp remaining. in an optimum scenario, you will be reduced to 1 hp via sturdy and kill your opponent with metal burst. the next turn, your custap berry would activate and you would use endeavor, bringing your opponent down to 1 hp as well. unfortunately, aggron doesn't work this way most of the time. anyway, for your aggron set, i wouldn't recommend using sandstorm: although it's an interesting move since it nets passive damage on your opponents, you're generally going to want to kill things with your above-average 110 base attack stat. aggron is strange since it's not a good wall due to a lack of reliable recovery and weaknesses to very prominent attack types—ground, fighting, and water—but it doesn't really have a lot of offensive options. i'd just use fire punch or aqua tail on it and go with either choice band or expert belt, adamant nature. also, you can use rock head so that you don't take recoil damage!

(by the way, aggron gets stab on head smash, not earthquake!)

e: invest in attack all the way, then hp and speed as you see fit

Ah forgot about the berry, so ya that makes a lot more sense.
and oops on the stab placement, meant to put it on head smash/heavy slam but apparently zoned out too much

so i should focus on attack, but unfortunately i'm playing bw not b2w2 so those tutor moves (aqua tail/fire punch) aren't available, have any other suggestions?
as for rock head it's tempting (and common) combo with head smash, and perhaps double-edge to replace the sandstorm, though can't say i'm a fan of using normal type moves.
but I think I may be more interested in making the dream world ability work for now.

My Aggron Its not a 1v1 pokemon showdown build (thus stealth rock isnt a great option). It was used primarily for the recent wifi (the one allowing ubers) and tested on 2013 2v2 wifi/showdown.

It worked very well vs ubers. Its a great Kyogue counter since every idiot trys to OHKO it. Then only really Arceus has a priority move to stop the endevour yet still people sword dance on it first.... Thunder wave is in case you'd rather set up and Stone Edge is to kill the legendary flying types.

Works well in 2v2 with a fake out partner. With the surprise metal burst aspect and the fact ppl see aggron and instantly try a close combat it gets alot of kills.

The low speed is because metal burst isnt automatically last.

Mine is a trick play pokemon in anything bar wifi Ubers. I wouldnt go with the build I suggested unless another Uber wifi event appears. Then make one and laugh at the disconnects you get when it kills the first legendary and reduces the 2nd to nothing/set up bait.

Hows my Serperior?

Item: Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
175 Atk/184 SpAtk/250 HP
-Leaf Blade
-Leaf Storm
-Leech Seed
-Giga Drain

I use leech seed at the start, then if I still dont get enough HP from the leftovers and leech seed, then I can use giga drain for more HP, otherwise he ca do alot of damage with Leaf storm or Leaf Blade

odd evs. your spread is very inefficient: you get the same stats with 248 hp/172 atk/184 satk but you don't waste any potential stat points in doing so. i wouldn't recommend running serperior without speed: its main allure is that it's very fast and can outrun most things in any given tier. your set is also odd: if you want to abuse leech seed, go with substitute over leaf storm so you don't become set-up fodder. additionally, serperior simply isn't strong enough to split evs, so i don't think it would be a good idea for you to run leaf blade. leaf storm puts a damper on your longevity since your special attack will be virtually nonexistent after one, so i'd recommend using a sort of coverage move in its place like hp ice. if you don't have access to an hp ice 70 serperior, then i'd recommend either using either taunt or dragon tail in its place. as a spread, i'd recommend running max hp/max speed/4 satk. if you're going for offense, try running a purely special attacking set: calm mind/giga drain/substitute or dragon pulse/hidden power rock. max satk/spd. serperior doesn't make a good mixed attacker due to its middling offenses.

Okay, finally starting to figure out how to improve my Pokemon's stats, so here's my first attempt:

Spr_5b_373_s.png

My shiny Moxie Salamence on Black 2. I had it trained to level 100, but hadn't done proper EV training, so it's stats were a bit lackluster...

Anyway, I think I've fixed them now, but I just want to make sure I got them up as high as I can get them (focusing on attack and speed btw):

Nature: Jolly

HP: 331
Attack: 369
Defence: 196
Special Attack: 217
Special Defense: 196
Speed: 328

I called Bianca on the Xtransceiver, and she said the Attack and Speed were really strong (or something like that), so I think I have the EVs for them maxed.

Also could use some advice for the moves and held item:

Moves:

Dragon Claw
Fly
Earthquake
Outrage

Going to replace Fly with Aqua Tail (or some other move).

Item: Currently, it's a Muscle Band, but going to change it to either a Choice Scarf or Life Orb.

Not a full team, so I thought I'd post it here. Thinking of this as a defensive core:

images

Tentacruel@Damp Rock
Rain Dish
252 HP/120 Def/120 Sp Def/16 Speed
Rain Dance
Toxic Spikes
Rapid Spin
Substitute
*Sets up T-spikes and rain and can spin away hazards

goodra_by_wolfais-d6qcltg.jpg

Goodra@Binding Band
Hydration
252 HP/252 Sp Def/4 Sp Atk
Infestation
Rest
Dragon Pulse
Fire Blast
*BB Infestation + Toxic Poison kills anything in 4 turns. Dragon Pulse speeds things along, Fire Blast dents Scizor even under rain, HydraRest for healing, Sp Def sky-high

mega_aggron_by_blizzou-d6q2evo.png

Aggron@Aggronite
Rock Head->Filter
252 HP/252 Def/4 Atk
Stealth Rock
Iron Head
Dragon Tail
Earthquake

Sets up Rocks and shuffles opponents team to spread Toxic so Goodra can work its magic, murders Fairies with STAB Iron Head, can dent Steels with EQ, does OK damage to dragons that Goodra can't Dragon Pulse, Fire is weakened under rain, Def through the roof

I'm sort of new to team optimization. That being said, I would like help with some optimal move sets for some pokemon I want to use. It be probably best to PM me your suggestions. The Pokemon are:
Blaziken,Alakazam,Gryados,Metagross,Dusknoir,Hydreigon,Greninja,Meowstic,Florges,Aegislash,Hawlucha,Sylveon and Charizard. All are male except for Hyrdeigon, Meowstic, and Florges, FYI. Its a lot of Pokemon, I know.. Thanks in advanced!

Not a full team, so I thought I'd post it here. Thinking of this as a defensive core:

Tentacruel@Damp Rock
Rain Dish
252 HP/120 Def/120 Sp Def/16 Speed
Rain Dance
Toxic Spikes
Rapid Spin
Substitute
*Sets up T-spikes and rain and can spin away hazards

Tentacruel can only really wall special hits well, so you're probably better off just maxing HP and SDef. The only real way to take physical hits effectively is by using barrier. Also, leftovers might be better than damp rock, since you have no recovery move, although since you want to set up rain, damp rock's understandable. Maybe protect would be better than substitute, as it would let you get free recovery from rain and leftovers, if you use those. Also, you're quite vulnerable to taunt, so an attack other than rapid spin might be nice, though I don't see how you could fit it on. Also, I presume something's changed in XY to stop drizzle politoed from working to set up rain? Otherwise that would be a better bet.

Don't really know anything about the other pokemon, sorry, but I hope I was helpful for tentacruel.

Drizzle only works for 5 turns now, making Politoed pretty much dead weight. You're right about the EV investment, though. I was hoping to use Rain Dish rather than Leftovers for recovery, but it's not available 'til December so I've stopped working in this team. Thanks for looking at it, though!

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom