• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Pokemon Switch Version

What do you think this game or these games will be?

• Total voters
What if it is a new generation game being planned for 2018 (maybe 2019)? What if the game is on par with SM/XY in terms of content and story, but they supplement the games with paid DLC? I enjoyed XY and SM, but I hope they don't go this way. As I think about it and some of you all stating an openness to DLC (probably not like this though), I am starting to think that this could be a plausible plan of action for GF and TPC to release a new game in a time effective way. What do you all think?

I think the best way to handle it would be like New Super Luigi U or Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, release DLC as an add on to the original game, but also provide an upgraded version that includes the original game + DLC for the people that don't already have the game. That would be a win-win for both sides, the fans don't have to pay $40 for the same game all over again and Game Freak can get more sales because more people would be interested in upgrading as opposed to buying the full game, while still selling a full game to new audiences.

I know it's not technically a core series title but what if they release a PMD game on the switch in 2018 to give us something and then 2019 is the main series release. Each generation has had a PMD snce gen 3 and sometimes a console ahead ( gates to infinity is the 5th gen one and it's on the 3ds and I think the first one came out before DP?)

While a new Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game for the Switch does sound possible, I'm still waiting and hoping for a new Pokemon Ranger game. It's unlikely at this point and I'm not sure how the series would work on the Switch anyway, but I'd love a new Pokemon Ranger game.

I definitely wouldn't be surprised if next year doesn't involve a new main series title though. They'll probably need more time to develop the games and the idea of the seventh generation only lasting for two years still sounds strange to me. It wouldn't be impossible for the Switch games to come out next year, but it just sounds more unlikely the more I think about it.

While a new Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game for the Switch does sound possible, I'm still waiting and hoping for a new Pokemon Ranger game. It's unlikely at this point and I'm not sure how the series would work on the Switch anyway, but I'd love a new Pokemon Ranger game.

I definitely wouldn't be surprised if next year doesn't involve a new main series title though. They'll probably need more time to develop the games and the idea of the seventh generation only lasting for two years still sounds strange to me. It wouldn't be impossible for the Switch games to come out next year, but it just sounds more unlikely the more I think about it.
Joy cons could work for the rotating part.

I personally hope they keep refresh and using the joy cons we actually get to pet our Pokemon, and feel burned, electrocuted, or whatever when we touch one of those spots. Feel the Pokemon eating from your hand and stuff, would be the best use of the joy cons to date

Pokémon’s Developers Talk About Their Console RPG Debut On Switch

Masuda and ohmori talking about the switch Pokemon game.

The " I hope fans don't get too high expectations" isn't very reassuring :/

I took that as more of a joke than anything else. They are aware of the expectations fans have and want to make a game that answers those expectations, but at the same time, they recognized that the pressure is there and that fans can set their expectations a bit too high. It didn't really reveal much, but I did laugh when Masuda kept saying to go buy a Switch and when they looked up posts from years where people were talking about how they wanted a console main series game.

Pokémon’s Developers Talk About Their Console RPG Debut On Switch

Masuda and ohmori talking about the switch Pokemon game.

That does concern me a bit, they do seem to be surprised by where the fanbase's expectations lie for this game, so it doesn't sound like it's going to be the dream Pokemon game everyone thinks it is. At the same time though, there was one fan comment they referenced that wanted a "large, open-ish game world" and they said they're making it, so maybe they do understand on some capacity that the fans want a larger, more open ended experience on console. Ultimately, what this could mean is that we'll start to see steps towards the kind of game we expect on Switch but it won't be quite the leap we want it to (we may not quite see something like that until 9th gen). So something like BotW is probably not going to happen here, but maybe say, something closer to OoT. Which I'd be fine with, I don't care if it's not BotW size as long as it's less linear than Unova, Kalos, and Alola.

I might be reading too much into this though, hard to really say.

The "I hope fans don't get too high expectations" isn't very reassuring :/

Damn, that's not a good sign to me. Surprised they would say that lol.

EDIT: I just watched the video. You're probably overreacting. Didn't sound serious. I'm glad to know they at least try to understand and view fan's hopes and expectations.

Last edited:

But then, this fandom can tend toward some ludicrously high expectations. If what someone is expecting is some BOTW-scale open world with multiple regions and a Battle Frontier and 40 hours of post-game content and Trials for every type then yeah, they should probably dial it back a bit.

I mean we all basically know that their first Switch game is going to be about on par with any of their other console debuts, yeah?

But still, we shouldn't get our expectation up regardless, in the interview they did said they're some challenges to develop pokemon on Switch, but they'll do their best, plus I think they're trying their best to aim for 2018, but if they can't, they can push it toward 2019, and possibly Spike Chunsoft will have Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game on Switch.

Back
Top Bottom