• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Round Table

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gen 1 can fall under New Mechanism
Town VS Scum shouldn't rule out the possibility of indeps.

Really, the above ideas do have some problems. Casual/Serious both have stigmas attached to them which would cause some people to not play the games based on being labeled Casual or Serious alone and not knowing anything else about the game, and I don't wanna limit my playerbase. Plus, it could be difficult to draw the line in certain games. Lovandra's suggestions also can give away too much about the setup of the game. Really, the best option IMO is making part of the OP have general information about the game's complexity and general feel.

Really, the above ideas do have some problems. Casual/Serious both have stigmas attached to them which would cause some people to not play the games based on being labeled Casual or Serious alone and not knowing anything else about the game, and I don't wanna limit my playerbase. Plus, it could be difficult to draw the line in certain games. Lovandra's suggestions also can give away too much about the setup of the game. Really, the best option IMO is making part of the OP have general information about the game's complexity and general feel.

I feel like we are on the same page here but are differing in the specifics. d:

Personally I don't see any generalized stigma attached with casual/serious, but can understand that some players make take them at face value and be hesitant to play depending on how they view the word. I completely agree with your last sentence though; I think it would be wise for hosts to have a section where they could outline what kind of game they are looking to host and how they would like player's to communicate and interact with each other. Perhaps a more lenient tag/header system could be used, like a scale? Goes from 1-10; 1 being super casual and ten being super serious (or whichever words/styles could be chosen). The numbers could be there for a quick glimpse to know what you should expect, and then to get more clarification players could read the host's intended environment in the OP. It also allows there to be an "intermediate" tag-thing like DB had suggested; the number is there so a player can make a quick decision, but the environment list is more to lock the player in.

A scale would only complicate things further, I'm afraid.
I stand by my point that the beginner-friendly/casual/whatever-you-like-to-call-it tier needs to have distinct rules, which should be more strict than "serious mode" so that the players won't feel overwhelmed. A scale wouldn't help in that regard.

Sadly my exams aren't over, but I noticed an ongoing discussion and have my own toughts on the mather.

Instead of tags like "Casual" & "Serious"
why not catogorize a game by level of activity required.

These could be two or 3 tags
"A bit" "(Somewhere in between)" "A lot"

where the "A bit" tag could depict a game as more casual due to not having to devote your daily routine about mafia
(Not saying you shoudn't c: )

while "A lot" depicts a more serious game where time is needed for alot of scum hunting and the like.

Toughts?

So something like Light/Intense? (Normal games that aren't particularly lax or time-intensive won't need to be marked.)

A game could be time intense and still come under the casual banner... while a game could also be time-light and come under the serious banner.
There is a complete difference tho,

The problem we are having is a lot of inactivity in almost any game, thats why I'm suggesting time based tags

Don't get me wrong, those tags will help in defining the game... just not the way I want to see them categorized.

Those kinds of tags would help tell the difference between Stab in the Dark (An 8 player elimination type non-mafia game I ran last year. Didn't require much time) and games like Gen 1, Fruit Bowl Mafia, etc which are time intensive games but are still in the casual category.

Fruit Bowl and Gen 1, while being time intensive casual games, are further separated by the fact that FBM was mechanic light while Gen 1 is advanced mechanics.

That's why I think Drumbeat's idea of a premade template that hosts fill out and put in a spoiler at the top of the game, and maybe even in teh queue thread, would be better than any one tag system.

df9bff4f8a.jpg

Mafia and Fakeclaims!
One thing I've noticed in my time here is that mafia tends not to fakeclaim often, and when they do, they're pretty bad at it (no offense everyone who isn't mafia). I think the players here could all use a lesson in Fakeclaiming, but I also think that to start, players should understand what a decent Fakeclaim is. The simplest way to practice this (now that we're between games sort-of and also have EiMM coming up, which is a game that you should expect fakeclaiming at its finest in, is to have games where the Mods provide Non-Town the following things:

Town's Wincon
X+1 Safeclaim (where X = Number of players aligned to that specific non-town faction)

Safeclaims are Fakeclaims that are pre-determined by a Mod to either Not Exist in the setup, or Fit within the Balance of the setup. Most times, this site features games with no duplication or maybe just the slightest but of duplication (the occasional two RoleBlockers in a setup, for instance). Because fakeclaiming is hard, ideally, mafia is given a safeclaim that fits within the bounds of the roles that they currently have. Faction has a roleblocker? Perhaps a Commuter or Ascetic claim may be in order. Faction has a Bulletproof? Why not a simple Fakeclaim of "Jack!Doc + [other(s)]".

It's a great way to encourage the players in the game to focus more on breaking open the game through scumhunting or extreme rolespec, rather than allowing games to be cracked fairly early on with simple RoleSpec following a convenient town flip, claim or both. Also, it discourages Mass-claiming because mafia's been given claims that would make sense in a Pre-Day3 Massclaim.

I'd like this to contribute to a learning experience so even those who are unfortunately too busy to focus on the game can at least have a chance at making it through the game while allowing them to maintain the effort in which is exhibited. Town has skated by so often lately on power claims (Miller, anyone?), and mafia's either too afraid to claim or too insecure on their abilities to fabricate a decent one within the confines of the setup.

Sure, things like a Tracker can catch someone in a bad fakeclaim, but the point of this exercise is to assume that in the absence of roles, a claim could make sense.

Does this seem fair, as a responsibility of the host, to provide safeclaims to Non-Town players?

I don't think its a fair requirement at least. Fakeclaiming is a skill that mafia should get good at, I will bring some more discussion on this in the philosophy thread, but I do not think it is the hosts responsibility to provide them.

We should make an Off-Site Game Thread here, since we're starting to interact with players from more communities lately, like Syndicate, SF, and MU.

We should make an Off-Site Game Thread here, since we're starting to interact with players from more communities lately, like Syndicate, SF, and MU.
As in, a place where people who joined us from other sites can advertise their off-site games?

Yeah, I know of one game on Syndicate that needs some help getting started right now, and I remember the EiMM from SF got posted normally a while back as a normal thread. It might be nice for us to have a place for stuff like that

So I don't know if anyone in TWR would be interested or even be allowed. I am thinking of creating a Votal-bot so rather than having to count the votes manually, the bot would take care of it.

I don't know if it's even possible with Xenforo but it is something that I find interesting. Thoughts?

So I don't know if anyone in TWR would be interested or even be allowed. I am thinking of creating a Votal-bot so rather than having to count the votes manually, the bot would take care of it.

I don't know if it's even possible with Xenforo but it is something that I find interesting. Thoughts?

It would be possible as an addon to Xenforo if you know php/mysql and Xenforo's API. You'd need Shiny Celebi's cooperation in creating it because he'd want to make sure it doesn't expose the forum to security risks AND he'd need to be the one to install it.

I think a votal bot would be nice, but it'd be a lot of work to create.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom