• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Top 10 Reasons Why Lance is an Awful Person

don't mind the lawful part of them at all. It's just the fact that they tend to gravitate to Lawful Evil rather than Lawful Neutral or Good.

Arbitrary deontological constructs have little purpose here, especially if you're going to make unsustainable generalizations. Defining good and evil may lie well beyond the scope of this discussion, and there's a great deal of difficulty in using terms that not all parties can agree on: so I'd recommend not going there.

st I checked, it could also constitute as attempted murder, or at least assault.

You are familiar with the laws of Kanto, then? For all we know, a hyper beam to the face is the acceptable response to libel.

I don't know what makes you think Gym Leaders a 'miserable failures,' considering that when you challenge them along your journey they can give you as much or even more trouble than the League.

They are still inferior to the League. Their relative degree of difficulty compared to their challengers isn't very useful in an absolute sense.

Your implications that he's so much better than everyone else certainly aren't helping. His arrogance isn't exactly role model material.

Who said it was? He just happens to be superior, and can't help it. Why should he be faulted for it?

Sure, it's so much more poignant these days to come from some broken home in a backwater village (where are the fathers in all this? May/Brendan may have had one depending on who you were, and the same goes with Lucas/Dawn, but what of the rest?) but it's so overdone.

The fact remains, "if Lance were into anyone, it would be Leaf," a good trainer, yes, but still only thirteen.

Well, Outrage does point out that we need to take into account how long the story would be. Also, I think she'd be fourteen at the start, since the RBY hero was eleven.

Regardless, we don't know the age of consent/adulthood in Kanto. We can't lay value judgments based on our own culture and laws that may not necessarily apply. Even in the 21st century, the age of consent varies widely by jurisdiction--it can range as low as 14 in some US states (which is creepy, agreed; but that's for our culture, not theirs, where maturity seems to come earlier: the League champion is no child).

Usually, neither is the arranged spouse's wishes. Besides, what makes you think that her mother would allow her to marry at that age anyway - much less agree to force her into it?

How am I to argue against generalizations and hypotheticals? Laws are evil--because you said so. Leaf is underage--because you said so. The affiancée is unwilling--because you said so.

Nobody said anything about forcing anyone to do anything. I'm calling strawman on this one.

Why is it so hard to believe that some people just like the simplicity of country life as opposed to the rush of the city? Again, I'm getting a blatant tone of arrogance here.

"Invisus natalis adest, qui rure molesto
et tristis agendus erit.
Dulcius urbe quid est? an villa sit apta puellae
atque Arretino frigus amnis agro?" - Sulpicia Rufa, patrician poetess (the only one who is either!) and daughter of Q. Sulpicius Rufus, consul during the Augustan principate

I'll translate.

"My hated birthday has arrived, which will be sadly held in the tedious countryside. For indeed what is sweeter than the city? Would a country villa be fit for a girl, or even the frigid Arretine river and fields?"

Anyone of culture and standing would doubtless agree. You know who favors the countryside? Faux aristocrats and deviants like Thomas Jefferson. :p

"Also let's not forget that four trainers that have come from these 'dismal disgraces of towns' have gone on to defeat the local champion (two of which defeated Lance, might I add)."

Yes, and I am not troubled. Clearly they have transcended their limitations: it is even more contingent upon them to move on. That they haven't--and therefore, leaving the titles to the previous champions--indicates to me that they are aware their rural upbringing leaves them unsuited to the laurels and plaudits of their betters.

don't mind the lawful part of them at all. It's just the fact that they tend to gravitate to Lawful Evil rather than Lawful Neutral or Good.

Arbitrary deontological constructs have little purpose here, especially if you're going to make unsustainable generalizations. Defining good and evil may lie well beyond the scope of this discussion, and there's a great deal of difficulty in using terms that not all parties can agree on: so I'd recommend not going there.

st I checked, it could also constitute as attempted murder, or at least assault.

You are familiar with the laws of Kanto, then? For all we know, a hyper beam to the face is the acceptable response to libel.

I don't know what makes you think Gym Leaders a 'miserable failures,' considering that when you challenge them along your journey they can give you as much or even more trouble than the League.

They are still inferior to the League. Their relative degree of difficulty compared to their challengers isn't very useful in an absolute sense.

Your implications that he's so much better than everyone else certainly aren't helping. His arrogance isn't exactly role model material.

Who said it was? He just happens to be superior, and can't help it. Why should he be faulted for it?

Sure, it's so much more poignant these days to come from some broken home in a backwater village (where are the fathers in all this? May/Brendan may have had one depending on who you were, and the same goes with Lucas/Dawn, but what of the rest?) but it's so overdone.

The fact remains, "if Lance were into anyone, it would be Leaf," a good trainer, yes, but still only thirteen.

Well, Outrage does point out that we need to take into account how long the story would be. Also, I think she'd be fourteen at the start, since the RBY hero was eleven.

Regardless, we don't know the age of consent/adulthood in Kanto. We can't lay value judgments based on our own culture and laws that may not necessarily apply. Even in the 21st century, the age of consent varies widely by jurisdiction--it can range as low as 14 in some US states (which is creepy, agreed; but that's for our culture, not theirs, where maturity seems to come earlier: the League champion is no child).

Usually, neither is the arranged spouse's wishes. Besides, what makes you think that her mother would allow her to marry at that age anyway - much less agree to force her into it?

How am I to argue against generalizations and hypotheticals? Laws are evil--because you said so. Leaf is underage--because you said so. The affiancée is unwilling--because you said so.

Nobody said anything about forcing anyone to do anything. I'm calling strawman on this one.

Why is it so hard to believe that some people just like the simplicity of country life as opposed to the rush of the city? Again, I'm getting a blatant tone of arrogance here.

"Invisus natalis adest, qui rure molesto
et tristis agendus erit.
Dulcius urbe quid est? an villa sit apta puellae
atque Arretino frigus amnis agro?" - Sulpicia Rufa, patrician poetess (the only one who is either!) and daughter of Q. Sulpicius Rufus, consul during the Augustan principate

I'll translate.

"My hated birthday has arrived, which will be sadly held in the tedious countryside. For indeed what is sweeter than the city? Would a country villa be fit for a girl, or even the frigid Arretine river and fields?"

Anyone of culture and standing would doubtless agree. You know who favors the countryside? Faux aristocrats and deviants like Thomas Jefferson. :p

"Also let's not forget that four trainers that have come from these 'dismal disgraces of towns' have gone on to defeat the local champion (two of which defeated Lance, might I add)."

Yes, and I am not troubled. Clearly they have transcended their limitations: it is even more contingent upon them to move on. That they haven't--and therefore, leaving the titles to the previous champions--indicates to me that they are aware their rural upbringing leaves them unsuited to the laurels and plaudits of their betters.

you keep telling yourself that champion lance, and maybe someone will believe you

I'm stunned at how long this thread has gone on for :p... There's a lot of Lance hate floating around.

lance sucks as much balls as a that awful movie titanic
Edit and if he was a real person i would punch him in his stupid face.

Agreed. Although it's entertaining to speak to the envious commies--at least the articulate ones. I wouldn't be here if it weren't funny. :p

I still wonder why Lance didn't catch the red Gyarados in Lake of Rage

Maybe all he had with him were his Dragonites and he forgot to bring his Gyarados with Surf. Maybe that's why he was just standing at the edge and forlornly watching the Red Gyarados.

Lance is setting an example of laziness for children. As rather then just walk two seconds from the lake of rage back to town like a normal person he flew with his Dragonite. I mean really. It was right there but he had to fly on a dragonite for reasons I swear just to show off. And be like "Bitch I dont walk. I fly with dragons. Why? stfu. I HAVE A CAPE.".
pfft..

Lance is setting an example of laziness for children. As rather then just walk two seconds from the lake of rage back to town like a normal person he flew with his Dragonite. I mean really. It was right there but he had to fly on a dragonite for reasons I swear just to show off. And be like "Bitch I dont walk. I fly with dragons. Why? stfu. I HAVE A CAPE.".
pfft..

If I had a dragon that I could fly at whim...why would I walk when fly?

THATS RIGHT, HE HAS A CAPE. RESPECT A MAN IN A CAPE!

And if a Hyper Beam to the face really does build character, then lemme go by that TM real quick and...

OW THAT HURT

I agree.. although some of the original reasons were quite true (and funny), it's gone too far. HE IS THE CHAMPION. RESPECT HIM FOR IT.

how is he the champion when he never dethroned you (me and and everyone after the first championship bout, when i became the champion?) he has never beat me he could never beat me his battling strategies suck, he runs like a coward, he attacks an unarmed person, and he rare candies his pokemon, why should i respect that douche? i think its absurd that you still defend him. its funny to me and the only reason i keep re-posting in this thread is to see the reactions i get from my comments, because i really do hate, him. its really hilarious to me.

Well, you kinda did vacate your spot as champion and go into exile on Mt. Silver.

Well, you kinda did vacate your spot as champion and go into exile on Mt. Silver.

im talking about in HG and SS he still hasnt beaten me onnce even in the gouble battle with my rival i still killed my partner so i could own him and clare by myself

Ok, lance, i need to ask you a serious question

WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU GETTING THESE FULL RESTORES

you and your 6 pokemon who all have juuust enough health to survive an ice beam! WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE!

least your not koga with his damed minimize-spamming muk that knows Screech, Swagger and toxic and minimize

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom