• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Upcoming Preview

Kinda a goosebumps moment with Liko putting on Lucius's belt
Hot take but I’m not a fan of it since I don’t want her to be relying on his Pokémon since it just feels cheap especially with the reveal that he just casually had 3 legendary Pokémon. Part of Pokémon is watching a trainer grow with their own Pokemon and for her to use pre-trained, super powerful Pokémon just doesn’t feel right.

The upcoming episodes look interesting and it's nice to see the plot moving farther along. My only big issue here is that I don't like how it looks like they're slowly giving the Lucius plotline to Liko when it started out as Roy's story. Liko already has the Terapagos plot, I don't see why she needs the Lucius storyline as well. The ancient Pokeball was literally the special item he was introduced with, yet so far Liko is the only one collecting the other Pokémon, while it seems they only plan to have Roy deal with Rayquaza who's been MIA for ages. I really hope this will change and they'll shift this plotline back to Roy, or give him something else to do. Because right now it's looking like Liko is getting all of the plot while Roy only gets a random episode in a blue moon.

Likewise, I hope we actually start seeing more of Dot soon, only because she has Quaxly, and it's barely gotten any screentime compared to the other two starters. I know Dot isn't a protagonist, but considering she has Quaxly and she has appeared more prominently than the other Volt Tacklers on recent posters, I really would like to see more of her.

Just because she wears the belt doesn't mean she'll use the ancient pokeballs or mainly rely on them. She already carries the 2 balls in her little bag, so...

Also, there is no Roy plot - it's a joint effort, but Liko is mainly the lead. Roy's Ancient Pokeball was a plot device for him to join the crew and to bring out Terapagos and its power. Remember Rayquaza didn't get released until Terapagos unlocked the seal.

Just because she wears the belt doesn't mean she'll use the ancient pokeballs or mainly rely on them. She already carries the 2 balls in her little bag, so...

Also, there is no Roy plot - it's a joint effort, but Liko is mainly the lead. Roy's Ancient Pokeball was a plot device for him to join the crew and to bring out Terapagos and its power. Remember Rayquaza didn't get released until Terapagos unlocked the seal.
She carries 2 of them in her bag and has made use of Arboliva twice in a pinch since it joined them. Her now openly displaying them presents that she’ll have them with her which in turn gives the visual of her having that crutch that the writers have created for her. And let’s not kid ourselves, the writers wouldn’t have her constantly carrying them if they weren’t going to use them. Also it feels bothersome that they basically just replaced one Mac Guffin on her person with another.

She carries 2 of them in her bag and has made use of Arboliva twice in a pinch since it joined them. Her now openly displaying them presents that she’ll have them with her which in turn gives the visual of her having that crutch that the writers have created for her. And let’s not kid ourselves, the writers wouldn’t have her constantly carrying them if they weren’t going to use them. Also it feels bothersome that they basically just replaced one Mac Guffin on her person with another.

I understand that and despite that Sprigatito is still her main battle Pokemon and will likely remain this way. And if she does use the ancient pokemon, personally, I don't mind it. If she truly is an ancestor of Lucius, then it's expected of her to use them occasionally and for the ancient pokemon to feel the need to help her. Arboliva came out by herself to calm down Moltres iirc.

I understand that and despite that Sprigatito is still her main battle Pokemon and will likely remain this way. And if she does use the ancient pokemon, personally, I don't mind it. If she truly is an ancestor of Lucius, then it's expected of her to use them occasionally and for the ancient pokemon to feel the need to help her. Arboliva came out by herself to calm down Moltres iirc.
Problem for me is that it ends up feeling less compelling when a trainer basically has an instant win button on their person especially when they’re a rookie. Not only does it eliminate basically any stakes because they always have that in their back pocket but it presents them with a crutch that to both the character and the narrative. Like, imagine if Ash just had Nebby to fall on when things got rough. Things would have gotten pretty boring in any essential moment. It‘s even worse for Liko since she is a rookie and hasn’t reached her potential in growth yet.

Problem for me is that it ends up feeling less compelling when a trainer basically has an instant win button on their person especially when they’re a rookie. Not only does it eliminate basically any stakes because they always have that in their back pocket but it presents them with a crutch that to both the character and the narrative. Like, imagine if Ash just had Nebby to fall on when things got rough. Things would have gotten pretty boring in any essential moment. It‘s even worse for Liko since she is a rookie and hasn’t reached her potential in growth yet.
Hopefully she has to give up the Legendaries at some point.

Hopefully she has to give up the Legendaries at some point.
Sadly with her story basically being finding Rakua, she’s likely to not only have them the whole series but to also get even more since she still has to get Kleavor, Lapras, Entei and Rayquaza Which will likely exacerbate the situation.

Legendary or not I'm pretty sure lucius pokemon are all of similar strengths other than maybe Rayquaza.

Also I feel like you are forgetting it's a written show, the writers will use the ancient pokeballs where it fits, so Liko isnt going to just whip them out constantly, just like how she already hasnt been.

The two times the balls activated were situations where she couldn't really do anything. I doubt they would of been able to defeat Spinels entire team, and sprigatito and hatenna weren't going to do anything against a fiery wrath coming straight at them.

So let's see...

This means arcs for Sinnoh (Kleavor), Johto (Entei), Hoenn (Rayqauza), and hopefully Alola for Lapras (because I do NOT want to go back to Kanto anytime soon.) Though wouldn't it be something Lucius' Lapras was hiding in the Orange Islands? :LOL:

I just hope Unova and Kalos still get some love while they're at it. It would certainly be unfair--maybe even cruel--to just leave them out entirely.

Last edited:
Legendary or not I'm pretty sure lucius pokemon are all of similar strengths other than maybe Rayquaza.

Also I feel like you are forgetting it's a written show, the writers will use the ancient pokeballs where it fits, so Liko isnt going to just whip them out constantly, just like how she already hasnt been.

The two times the balls activated were situations where she couldn't really do anything. I doubt they would of been able to defeat Spinels entire team, and sprigatito and hatenna weren't going to do anything against a fiery wrath coming straight at them.
I’m not forgetting anything about how it’s written, it’s the way that the writers went about the very prospect of these ancient Pokémon that has me concerned. These ancient Pokémon are a concept that not only feel very fanfictiony but also flies in the face of the series with both anime and games of trainers who succeed or fail on their own merit. Instead here, we’ve given the characters these powerful ancient Pokémon who can always always bail them out whenever the writers want with the promise of more to come. It’s pretty much the ultimate hand holding.

And as for when they were used, one case was against an admin and the other was against a legendary hero Pokémon, 2 things that rookie trainers have no business even facing. In that sense, the ancient Pokémon become particularly forced because Liko and Roy have no business being thrown against such things that they’d realistically stand no chance against thus leading to them having to be bailed out.

Last edited:
Just realized Agate has a medicham in the scene of all the explorers with their Pokemon. Certainly not what I was expecting but also didnt expect Glalie for Sango so.

It is interesting that the franchise not just in the anime but overall is giving room for Hisuian forms. We get a free Growlithe in the DLC and there is a Kleavor somewhere probably in Sinnoh roaming freely. I liked the concept of some Pokémon not making it to the present day and I am not entirely sure if I want to see this pattern broken for the cost of having them introduced in the show. I would much rather like a time travel arc instead in a convenient way.

Please note: The thread is from 7 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom