• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

US/UM Trailers and News Discussion

So we got 2 out of a possible 7 spaces (Nihelego's and Kartana's) For the other 5-7 I think they would likely be the following (though it was influenced by other similar musings from elsewhere on the web.

• first a General note. I find it very likely that the scenery between these two were supposed to show the respective Ultra Beast's eh "eggs", that is to say that we will see some pre-developed forms in the background. Which would include the grass and the Rocks from the Nihilego Space.
  • Buzzwole's space would not resemble a gym, but instead it would be close. It would instead evoke an image of wrestling ring littered with punching bags hanging from the ceiling. The bags would actually be cocoons for the larval stages.
  • Pheremosa's would evoke a spotless minimalistic aesthetic, with some shallow domes littering the ground in an arranged pattern.
  • Xurkitree would be akin to a forest, but with all the trees being made of wires and having some star shaped rocks at the end of these branches.
  • Celesteela's would take place on a bamboo grove at night. Perhaps on white ground littered with craters. Evoking the surface of the moon.
  • Guzzlord's would be the trippiest of them all, an outer space like area with no visible ground, surrounded by vortextes framed by a familiar zigzag shape.
  • We might also have to find Sogaleo in Lunala in such places much like Dialga and Palkia in Platinum (mixed with the distortion world), in which case.They will be the same. Appearing to be on a floating landmasses adorned with patterns representing their respective bodies. Also taking place on either day (or twilight for the color contrast) or night depending on the pokemon.
  • Necrozma might be a case simialr to Kyurem in BW2, and thus also be locked to Post game. Likely in their own space. In this scenario I presume to be to a place where the color changes through the spectrum, with a white pathway in the same shape as the cave in the other spaces as the only travesable path. Auroras optional (might also be where the plot mandated battle is, particularity with the true form).
I also think that they might be accessed by portals found in certain locations.

1. Nihilego: Aether Paradise
  2. Buzzwole/Pheromosa: Melemele Meadow and Verdant Cavern respectably.
  3. Xurkitree: Lush Jungle
  4. Kartana/Celesteela: Malie Garden
  5. Guzzlord: Resolution Cave
  6. Sogaleo/Lunala: Lake of the Sunne/Moone
  7. Necrozma: Altar of the Sunne/Moone or Ten Carat Hill

Though the people seen in Kartana's space still bring up some questions.

Last edited:
  • Buzzwole's space would not resemble a gym, but instead it would be close. It would instead evoke an image of wrestling ring littered with punching bags hanging from the ceiling. The bags would actually be cocoons for the larval stages.
Going by the fact buzzwole is a mosquito, wouldn't it make more sense that it wouldn't have cocoons but instead some kind of swampy marsh land that might have gym equipment like adornments but not actual equipment?

Like two rocks next to a branch = a barbell but it's not actually a functional barbell but it looks like one.

Going by the fact buzzwole is a mosquito, wouldn't it make more sense that it wouldn't have cocoons but instead some kind of swampy marsh land that might have gym equipment like adornments but not actual equipment?

Like two rocks next to a branch = a barbell but it's not actually a functional barbell but it looks like one.

Its possible, but I was still going on the "larval/unhatched forms making up the 'decorations'" theory when i made this post (rocks in that Ultra Space cave and the Kartana shaped grass being the basis, though I admit I did get the idea of the punching bag thing from reddit). The exception being for Cosmog's evolution and Necrozma.

Maybe not even a human at all? Maybe a UB antagonist/Necrozma?
I am seriously considering that idea. We know from the new trailer that we do not get the starter at Iki Town from Hala, so that means the way we get started on our journey is already changed a little. While an alternate story COULD mean the same thing but with Necrozma, SM had a pretty clear story, and its characters had pretty big arcs that doing it all over again would feel like a huge step back. Unlike emerald and platinum, we have Lillie, Gladion, and Hau, so yeah, they need to tread lightly. The only real way they can do something else without the story feeling contrived for their new characterization would be if Mohn never dissappeared, and in THAT case, an evil Mohn wouldn't make sense, and Lusamine definitely has no reason to go crazy. Of course that is one possibility, and the only obe really were an antagonistic Pokemon works.
Another thing is that there is no rain over Po Town now, so either the raid happens differently, or Skull does not have a base there. That second one is a huge implication, as if Team Skull does not exist in the form we know it as, then Aether definitely isnt evil.

Last edited:
Looks like 4chan noticed something with that forest in the trailer.
ffb7b890f7.jpg
798.00.png

and there was a man at the entrance, if that is kartana's ultra space, the story line may be very different, a real alternate world.

So we got 2 out of a possible 7 spaces (Nihelego's and Kartana's) For the other 5-7 I think they would likely be the following (though it was influenced by other similar musings from elsewhere on the web.

• first a General note. I find it very likely that the scenery between these two were supposed to show the respective Ultra Beast's eh "eggs", that is to say that we will see some pre-developed forms in the background. Which would include the grass and the Rocks from the Nihilego Space.
  • Pheremosa's would evoke a spotless minimalistic aesthetic, with some shallow domes littering the ground in an arranged pattern.
  • Xurkitree would be akin to a forest, but with all the trees being made of wires and having some star shaped rocks at the end of these branches.
  • Celesteela's would take place on a bamboo grove at night. Perhaps on white ground littered with craters. Evoking the surface of the moon.
  • Guzzlord's would be the trippiest of them all, an outer space like area with no visible ground, surrounded by vortextes framed by a familiar zigzag shape.
  • We might also have to find Sogaleo in Lunala in such places much like Dialga and Palkia in Platinum (mixed with the distortion world), in which case.They will be the same. Appearing to be on a floating landmasses adorned with patterns representing their respective bodies. Also taking place on either day (or twilight for the color contrast) or night depending on the pokemon.
  • Necrozma might be a case simialr to Kyurem in BW2, and thus also be locked to Post game. Likely in their own space. In this scenario I presume to be to a place where the color changes through the spectrum, with a white pathway in the same shape as the cave in the other spaces as the only travesable path. Auroras optional (might also be where the plot mandated battle is, particularity with the true form).
I also think that they might be accessed by portals found in certain locations.

1. Nihilego: Aether Paradise
  2. Buzzwole/Pheromosa: Melemele Meadow and Verdant Cavern respectably.
  3. Xurkitree: Lush Jungle
  4. Kartana/Celesteela: Malie Garden
  5. Guzzlord: Resolution Cave
  6. Sogaleo/Lunala: Lake of the Sunne/Moone
  7. Necrozma: Altar of the Sunne/Moone or Ten Carat Hill

Though the people seen in Kartana's space still bring up some questions.
First, I'm pretty sure Necrozma is not a Ultra Beast, unless you are just connecting Necrozma with the Ultra Beasts. Second, I believe there would be new Ultra Beasts, too. In that case, where would those portals be?

First, I'm pretty sure Necrozma is not a Ultra Beast, unless you are just connecting Necrozma with the Ultra Beasts. Second, I believe there would be new Ultra Beasts, too. In that case, where would those portals be?

New Ultra Beasts would mean new Pokemon, which I dont think they're ready for. It is the next step after permanent forms, but I doubt it'll happen this Gen.

How sure can we be? What if the light is true necrozma, and the black shell is an ultra beast who latched on?

New Ultra Beasts = New Pokémon. I don't see this as a possibility as all. Yes, they can break the trend of not introducing Pokémon mid-generation. But I don't see it happening for USUM.

Pity that GF hasn't surprised the fanbase by dropping another trailer today - it's the eclipse after all. Totally jives with USUM.

It was only happening for the US, it's not a global event, so I don't get why people suddenly got the idea that we could get USUM news just because of the eclipse. Besides, we just got three trailers on Friday and more will come later, so just be patient.

it would have been an excellent marketing opportunity.

A trailer that they release at virtually any other time won't perform any worse than hypothetically releasing one today would have. In fact, if anything, I think it would be a fairly questionable decision to release a trailer on a day when social media is already guaranteed to be dominated by something that garners a lot more global attention and activity than a Pokémon rehash game.

Why not this gen and why not USUM? IDGI.

Besides the flimsy excuse of not having doing it before, I think there are two other reasons (though granted they are related to said excuse):
  • Compatibility: This is a series that thrives on being able to trade with friends. And so far it does seem that GF would wan tto ensure everyone is able to "catch 'em all" in some capacity. Which is why formes are more likely to be version locked than brand new pokemon (Including Alola forms). And GF clearly sees updating older games to allow players to see or use the USUM-exclusive perks to be anathema to some extent.
  • The National Pokedex: Related to the above, one of the perks of games after the initial pairs is that the national pokedex becomes easier to complete without trading or going to games preceding the generation. As such new players would have access tot he other half of the pokedex, which may or may not be promoted. The numbering might also be a factor as introducing any pokemon means that there would be pokemon between this gens Mythicals and the next gen Starters, something that was only done once and by a mythical itself.
Is it possible for GF to add brand new pokemon (not just formes) that cannot be traded to Sun and moon, of course, is it probable? Only time will tell.

Besides the flimsy excuse of not having doing it before, I think there are two other reasons (though granted they are related to said excuse):
  • Compatibility: This is a series that thrives on being able to trade with friends. And so far it does seem that GF would wan tto ensure everyone is able to "catch 'em all" in some capacity. Which is why formes are more likely to be version locked than brand new pokemon (Including Alola forms). And GF clearly sees updating older games to allow players to see or use the USUM-exclusive perks to be anathema to some extent.
  • The National Pokedex: Related to the above, one of the perks of games after the initial pairs is that the national pokedex becomes easier to complete without trading or going to games preceding the generation. As such new players would have access tot he other half of the pokedex, which may or may not be promoted. The numbering might also be a factor as introducing any pokemon means that there would be pokemon between this gens Mythicals and the next gen Starters, something that was only done once and by a mythical itself.
Is it possible for GF to add brand new pokemon (not just formes) that cannot be traded to Sun and moon, of course, is it probable? Only time will tell.

Thank you for answering my question. I get what you're saying. What I don't get is why is it not a good time to change this practice. Like this very instant, for USUM.

Probably because it would just add on effort and delay USUM itself to make the old game compatible. It's not that they can't do it, it's whether or not they want to. And judging by the past, it's unlikely that they ever will.

It's a shame Game Freak won't update Sun/Moon to allow new formes of old Pokémon (as ORAS Mega Evolutions weren't backwards compatible), especially when it is possible.

Anyway I understand it. New formes or similar stuff are one of the USUM's selling points so... Is just bussiness. It is not a big deal but it is somewhat annoying.

It's a shame Game Freak won't update Sun/Moon to allow new formes of old Pokémon (as ORAS Mega Evolutions weren't backwards compatible), especially when it is possible.

A lot of the arguments for/arguments against allowing other forms of Pokemon could easily be settled through DLC. There could be system limitations on the 3DS to explain why GF doesn't do it at this time, but the Nintendo Switch will be a whole new experience for GF when developing a Pokemon game. So time will tell.

A trailer that they release at virtually any other time won't perform any worse than hypothetically releasing one today would have. In fact, if anything, I think it would be a fairly questionable decision to release a trailer on a day when social media is already guaranteed to be dominated by something that garners a lot more global attention and activity than a Pokémon rehash game.

I don't agree with you at all. GF could have easily gotten in on the social media fun via trending topics, many companies subliminally advertise through that route. In this day and age of social media, people have limited attention spans. Once a trend gets going, it can easily change a second later based off another event or situation that refocuses the end user.

And I understand that last sentence could also be used as a counter-argument with my reply to you.

Probably because it would just add on effort and delay USUM itself to make the old game compatible. It's not that they can't do it, it's whether or not they want to. And judging by the past, it's unlikely that they ever will.

Based on there current model, it would probably delay USUM. But I wonder if GF could remedy the situation through later DLC.

Last edited:
i just had a thought: what if Ultra Beasts sharing a numerical designation in their code name like Buzzwole & Pheromosa (UB-02) and Celesteela & Kartana (UB-04) weren't the order in which they were cataloged, but rather occupy the same Ultra Space? This could explain why the UBs have Pokédex entries in the games where they weren't found: the numbers in the code names to correspond to the Ultra Beasts themselves, but rather the different Ultra Spaces!

Last edited:
There could be system limitations on the 3DS to explain why GF doesn't do it at this time

Oh, not really :/
Youkai Watch does this quite well, I'd say. Level-5 updates its old games with the possible new content periodically.
Is just Game Freak. As far as I remember, they were kinda "not cool" with DLCs so.

EDIT: and keep in mind, the Youkai Watch upgrades are for free.
I'm not trying to be biased or anything, but this is something Game Freak should take into account when doing stuff like this (eg. a new same generation game). I understand the reasoning behind not doing it, but it doesn't mean it's "good" at all. Again, is just bussiness.

And I'm not a very demanding person regarding Pokémon. Kinda awful I know.

Back
Top Bottom