• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

USUM Datamine Discussion

But with way less replay value as you only play through it once, right? Seems more comparable to the Delta Episode.
I meant that I would barely count it as story content. It's somewhere between the Delta Episode and PWT, and it doesn't compare favorably to either. It's supposed to be like the Delta Episode, but originally the villains were just supposed to show up in the Battle Agency.

It does set up a continuation for Giovanni, though.

So people are mad when we literally got new Pokemon (forms, beasts and a mythical), which has NEVER happened mid-gen before. But because there's no new Alolan forms and you've formed an opinion of the postgame already without playing through; you will not be purchasing lol.

Cool, don't come on here being salty and not giving input when we're all playing through then I'm highly satisfied with this datamine, and I'm a person who likes seeing to believe, even if I was broke I'd wait til Christmas and still grab it. It's Pokemon. I could nitpick but it's not even worth it.

If it is simply because of no new alolan forms and a maybe more different base storyline than what we've seen so far, I respect that too.

????? First you said you'd respect it if I didn't like that there was no new Alolan forms, and now I'm being salty? Oh and next time don't forget to quote me! :)

Do we have any word on who the characters are for the title defense battle? I know Molayne is now an Elite 4 member and apparently during the credits, you'll see Gladion get on a boat and leave Alola. Also, do we still get the Champion theme from Sun and Moon for the title defense?

What really sours this game for me now in light of the datamine is all the marketing and PR. They made such a big deal out of how different things were going to be. 'Ultra Change', 'This isn't the Alola you thought you knew', 'Expect more than Platinum'...It doesn't appear to hold up.

But I'm really happy for Kommo-o.

I don't see it as laziness at all. I didn't see any new Pokemon besides forms in BW2 if I'm correct? and I love how people consistently use BW2 as a base for everyhing they want; go play BW2 then. This is USUM and I don't see how constantly using Gen 5 as the bar is neccessary, clearly I have a different view. Gen 5 was my least favourite generation and I never even bought BW2 until 6 months after release, I was in no rush.

A sequel in the same vein as BW2 might've made this a sale for me. I found it rewarding to see characters who had grown or changed in some way in the aftermath of the first game. And the map expansion, with whole new cities, towns, dungeons, and renovations to existing areas, made a second visit to the Region more interesting.

Last edited:
Well, I've pretty much looked at everything from the datamine I wanted to know, and after giving it some thought, I would say that I can only give these games a ranking of 7/10 in terms of how excited I am for them on Friday.

Game Freak did a damn good job of convincing me to go ahead and spend the $40 to pre-order Ultra Moon, but I definitely still stand by what I've been saying from Day 1 - remakes of Diamond & Pearl would have been a FAR better choice for the final 3DS Pokémon game - even if they would have left some loose ends unresolved from SM's original story).

Honestly, I think the only features I'm truly excited for are:

-Alolan Photo Club (despite what others have been saying I think it's a good idea because it'll allow you show off your Trainer Avatar and their team without feeling like you have to go "competitive")
-Elio & Selene talking more often (including to the Rotom Dex)
-A few specific changes to the storyline (my favorite Alolan Form becoming the new Fire Totem, Mina getting an actual Trial, and a few others)
-Move Tutors and some upgrades to movesets (Throat Chop on Mega Absol, Heavy Slam on Torterra, Close Combat/Drain Punch on Kommo-o, etc.)

And the things I'm disappointed about are:

-No new Alolan Forms (I was really keeping my fingers crossed for that Grass/Fire Alolan Victreebel)
-The Rainbow Rocket storyline looks like a hella confusing and probably non-canon mess of alternate timelines (though better than the original Looker mission)
-Mantine Surfing looks like it'll be fun the first few times but quickly get repetitive as you try to grind out tutor points
-A lot of Pokemon I was hoping would make it into the expanded Alola Dex did not
-Gym Simulator seems to just be Battle Chateau with a Kantonian twist
-And worst of all, reports are that the story itself is not as different from the original as we've been led to believe (I haven't read the full story text yet though so I'll reserve judgment there until I play the games).

I would say I'm more excited for these games than I was for Emerald, Platinum, or BW2, but I still can't help but feel a tremendous sense of "What could have been..."

Last edited:
Some more things:

- You can get a Surf Pikachu holding a Gold Battle Cap as a reward for being top surfer in all Mantine Surf spots.
- There's a little area of Mount Lanakila now available near Tapu Village, so Crabominable can be obtained earlier (not sure about Glaceon, it wasn't mentioned). Charjabug, Magneton and Nosepass can all evolve at Blush Mountain now too.
Hopefully the Pikachu can evolve and I may finally have an Alolan Raichu who can Surf!

And that's great about Charjabug & co-that should have been the requirement from the beginning, rather than Vast Poni Canyon with its inexplicable electromagnetic current.

Hopefully the Pikachu can evolve and I may finally have an Alolan Raichu who can Surf!

And that's great about Charjabug & co-that should have been the requirement from the beginning, rather than Vast Poni Canyon with its inexplicable electromagnetic current.

You can evolve it from what I read. It has Static, not its HA though.

-----

Some more bits:

- You can also get a Fly Pikachu after the Surf Pikachu by beating your old score with a new trick (or something like that).
- There's only two Burst / Assembly catchable. The other old UBs caught through the wormholes apparently keep respawning. (From what I read about Guzzlord's world, it would be weird for it to respawn, so maybe it's only the version exclusive ones.)
- Poipole is forced on you at a time where you won't have had chance to save. If you want to reset for a good nature and/or shiny, you should decline taking it when it's offered to you and come back for it later.
- Furfrou trimmer is in Hau'oli City.

Hm, maybe the wait for Poni Island will be worth it.

On the bright side,

you still have a lot to do in between beating Necrozma and taking on the League - there’s Mina’s Trial, which has you go back and battle every other Trial Captain in addition to Totem Ribombee, and then Hapu’s Grand Trial on Exeggutor Island. So there is at least some time for Hakamo-o/Kommo-o to stretch its muscles, unlike in SM where you went straight to the Elite Four after Lusamine. Plus, there are Trainers in Victory Road this time.

So people are mad when we literally got new Pokemon (forms, beasts and a mythical), which has NEVER happened mid-gen before. But because there's no new Alolan forms and you've formed an opinion of the postgame already without playing through; you will not be purchasing.

I'm highly satisfied with this datamine, and I'm a person who likes seeing to believe, even if I was broke I'd wait til Christmas and still grab it. It's Pokemon. I could nitpick but it's not even worth it.

I would agree with that...sure I think more Alolan forms would have been nice but I can also say that from a artistic perspective for (since I make stories and nuzlockes out of these games) this is just going to add another unique layer of depth to my own little continuities and I am more then pumped for this.
I will also agree that I love that they added new 'mons mid gen as well and I always had a feeling they would and that is what makes this game come off as amazing to me

What really sours this game for me now in light of the datamine is all the marketing and PR. They made such a big deal out of how different things were going to be. 'Ultra Change', 'This isn't the Alola you thought you knew', 'Expect more than Platinum'...It doesn't appear to hold up.

I'm not surprised at that, PR statements such as that tend to exaggerate things to make the game look better than it actually is, but I'm baffled as to what they could've been referring to. There's nothing in the datamining that even comes close to fitting that description. So yeah, that just seems like a straight up lie.

Dusk Lycanroc isn't exclusive to the event, though? It can breed more Own Tempo Rockruff.

That said, I'll probably try using the event one after getting like 4 Rockruff per version (2 Rockruff to keep as is, 1 Rockruff for my living dex/the other for messing around, 2 Dusk Lycanroc for Z-Happy Hour sets, and 1 Dusk Lycanroc for my living dex/the other for messing around). Especially since if I breed it, it'll be so behind compared to my other team members.

Geez. I'm going to have an army of Rockruff, and that's not even counting the fact that it can be bred in other types of PokeBalls.
I think i’m going to need some clarification on what dusk lycanroc can do. Can you name it, for example?

As to the games themselves, the casual consumer part of my brain - that is, the part that’s actually going to engage with the gameplay directly and derive an experience from it - is going to love USUM. But then, I’m not really hard to please, and I just enjoy playing Pokémon full-stop.

If I look at them more critically... what kind of joke were they trying to make here? Sure, I don’t think it’s totally wise to expect another B2W2, which I feel was kind of a “lightning in a bottle” situation. And sure, I’d be willing to bet that the 3DS is quite a bit harder for them to work with than the DS. But these still should have been way more of an enhancement than Emerald or Platinum were for their original games, and yet they’re only about on that same level... I don’t think anybody would be wrong to see USUM as profoundly underwhelming and skippable (or, “sell back your SM for them”-able).

Frankly I’m a bit concerned for Switchmon now. Especially if they try to get it out next year. Best I can hope for in that regard at the moment is that the Pokkén DX/USUM trailer was indicative of an overall attitude of “This is what we’re working toward, but in the meantime we know you need a Christmas gift for your 8-year-old.”

It's sad to think that Iwao and supposedly a chunk of the leading staff are in their early 30s or late 20s, meaning that they grew up with the series. Their ambition leaves something to be desired, although I suppose it isn't their fault if Masuda limited their time on the project.

3 questions in wanna ask cause in very curious as i read the scripts:

1. Is dusk lycanroc breedable to get more duck lycanrocs?
2. Is N-solarizer/N-lunarizer available in both games or just one of them? Making the mascots game exclusive?
3. Can we rebattle the trial captains multiple times in this game?

As an aside, one of the dataminers reported that if you evolve a pokemon outside of Alola (via ultraworm holes) that you can get the kanto region version.

I'm really impressed with the simplicity of this solution. It just makes so much sense.

It does leave the question of how we'll get Alola Forms in future regions, though. I don't think they're going to bring back riding legendaries across the multiverse in future games (expect maybe the inevitable Sinnoh remakes).

I'm not sure either. It would make sense to have regional variants evolve with their native regional snack since each region/generation has a regional snack. At least in my opinion.

Unfortunately, I feel that Gamefreak will make an excuse for not making them natively accessible or they will develop an overly complicated way for us to achieve this.

Back
Top Bottom