• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

VGC Team Help/RMT

Reaction score
So I've been getting pretty into VGC lately, and I've been working on my team. Figured I'd post it here see what I should fix what will and won't work.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Murkrow @Eviolite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252HP/252DEF/4SpD
Bold Nature

Quash
Featherdance
Roost
Foul Play

I've seen a lot of the use of the word "gimmick" about Murkrow, but I have to disagree. Quash allows me to ignore Speed, allowing my partner to outspeed and KO when I would have been forced to switch. For example Charizard Y would outspeed M-Kangaskhan but because of Quash I am able to survive and get the kill.
Feather Dance allows me to take physical attacks easily, even a M-Kang Return only 2HKOs before Featherdance. Roost is their for recovery, and Foul Play allows me to 2HKO most common physical attackers.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Kangaskhan @Kangaskhanite
Scrappy
Jolly
EVs 252Atk/252Spe/4HP

Fake Out
Sucker Punch
Return
Protect - - -> Power-Up Punch

Pretty standard set. It hits hard and fast, when I bring it. I'll usually lead with this + Murkrow, as I can Fake Out and lower the attack of any potential threats. Often I will not bring it, but the opponent will usually bring M-Mawile so Char-Y is used when I see Ammongus and Mawile.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Rough Skin
Jolly
EVs: 252Atk/252Spe/4HP

Dragon Claw
Earthquake
Rock Slide
Protect

The Pokémon I always bring to my battles. Paired up with a Levitate user or a Flying type it can fire off EQs without having it's partner take any damage. Life Orb EQ in combination with Char Y's Heat Wave will do a huge amount of damage to even the bulkiest Pokémon.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Charizard@ Charizardite Y
Blaze
Timid
252Spe/252SpA/4HP

Heat Wave
Solar Beam
Fire Blast
Air Slash

CharChomp core here. Heat Wave + EQ as I said does massive damge. Solarbeam is for Rotom-W mostly, because most water types are Rain team exclusive. Fire Blast can secure OHKOs a Heat Wave can. Air Slash is to reliably knock out AV Ludicolo.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Levitate
Modest
252Spe/252SpA/4HP

Draco Meteor
Fire Blast
Dark Pulse
Earth Power

Another user of Levitate to pair with Chomp. Scarf allows it to outspeed things up to Charizard Y. Draco Meteor is my main power move, but it can be dangerous if the team has fairy types. Fire Blast can OHKO Mawile, though I can't reliably bring it in if Mawile is firing off Play Roughs. Dark Pulse is there for STAB nuetral damage and the flinch chance.
If the opponent has M-Manectric I use Earth Power. They'll most likely protect, but then the switch to Rotom is obvious and I can bring in Charizard.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Rotom-W @ Sitrus Berry
Levitate
Modest
252HP/128Def/128SpD/4SpA

Hydro Pump
Thunderbolt
W-o-W
Protect

Capable of burning threats with Will-o. All around bulky, as well as having Levitate to let Garchomp EQ as much as he wants. Hydro Pump is my most powerful STAB, and T-Bolt is for reliability.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

I know this is a bit bland, and I apoligize that my descriptions are lame ^_^ I'm not very experienced with RMT type threads.

Basically my team revolves around the common Chomp core. I don't see anything specifically that theatens the entire team, I guess TR but with Quash I can negate that. Rain could potentially hurt, but I have Air Slash which takes out the most common Rain Sweeper Ludicolo.

I would appreciate feedback :)

Last edited:
Seems like you are running 4 or 5 different teams with one team. Don't be confused because that is something that you want in VGC but you mainly don't want more than 2. You're running a Murkrow/M-Kanga combo, M-CharY/Garchomp combo and an M-CharY/Hydreigon combo. Just feels like too many different teams. As toward the gimmick or not for Murkrow the set you described if 100% a gimmick.

I like the pokes you're using, my only suggestion would be for Garchomp to be given a Rocky Helmet instead of of the Life Orb as it puts in more damage from Rough Skin.
I've used this sort of Garchomp for a while and it's good for switch-ins and double battles if they try to gang up on it then it won't go down without a fight (unless they're using a non-contact move of course)

I do think Rocky Helmet will do more overall so added Erza ^_^

I should have clarified "bad gimmick". Yes it is technically a gimmick, it's not a bad gimmick. I think the fact it takes one of the strongest unboosted physical attacks well even before the priority Featherdance is enough of a reason it works.

And I do understand what you mean by "too many teams". But I was simply stating that they work well with Garchomp. I only mention Charizard in Hydreigons set because if I were to use Earth Power I can safely bring in Charizard on the predicted switch.
My only real "partners" are CharChomp and ChompHydreigon. Murkrow is there to lower attack, and Quash anything that would usually threaten me. It happens to work well with Kangaskhan. Rotom-W is for switching in on EQ's and just being a bulky thing that can hit back with Hydro or just W-o-W if it isn't dangerous burned.

I'd like more imput on threats. And @TerraTF ; What would you suggest changing? You gave criticism but nothing was suggested as a substitute.

I do think Rocky Helmet will do more overall so added Erza ^_^

I should have clarified "bad gimmick". Yes it is technically a gimmick, it's not a bad gimmick. I think the fact it takes one of the strongest unboosted physical attacks well even before the priority Featherdance is enough of a reason it works.

And I do understand what you mean by "too many teams". But I was simply stating that they work well with Garchomp. I only mention Charizard in Hydreigons set because if I were to use Earth Power I can safely bring in Charizard on the predicted switch.
My only real "partners" are CharChomp and ChompHydreigon. Murkrow is there to lower attack, and Quash anything that would usually threaten me. It happens to work well with Kangaskhan. Rotom-W is for switching in on EQ's and just being a bulky thing that can hit back with Hydro or just W-o-W if it isn't dangerous burned.

I'd like more imput on threats. And @TerraTF ; What would you suggest changing? You gave criticism but nothing was suggested as a substitute.

You need something to take care of Talonflame badly. I know you have Rotom-W and all but when you come up against Talonflame with M-Charizard Y and Garchomp Rock Slide is your only stopping it. I get the whole Heat Wave/EQ combo but honestly you should think more about the Rock Slide/Air Slash combo. FlinchHax is one of the greatest styles in Doubles period even though the greatest FlinchHaxer, Togekiss, isn't legal in VGC 14. If you want to run Double Mega's, which you always should, run M-Charizard Y and M-Aerodactyl. With that speed and power behind the FlinchHaxing, if you don't get the Flinch there's a high chance you'll get the KO. Not to mention that you can still run the Heat Wave/EQ combo with those two. Unfortunately when you run M-Aero/M-CharY together you're basically running one without an item.

Honestly I really dislike FlinchHax :-/
I know it's very good, but it's really principal.

I don't like the idea of basically having to run one non itemed Pokémon just for the advantage of being able to FlinchHax. With Rocky Helmet Talonflame is basically killing itself just to take out Garchomp. And if it stays in I can hit it with rock slide.

Honestly I really dislike FlinchHax :-/
I know it's very good, but it's really principal.

I don't like the idea of basically having to run one non itemed Pokémon just for the advantage of being able to FlinchHax. With Rocky Helmet Talonflame is basically killing itself just to take out Garchomp. And if it stays in I can hit it with rock slide.

Running FlinchHax, and good FlinchHax in VGC generally means running a Pokemon effectively without an item or a Scarf Dugtrio, is more up to the users taste. I personally prefer it and will likely play VGC 2015 if Togekiss is legal with a decent Rock Slider. And running 2 Mega's on a "Bring 6, Pick 4" style battle is something that you don't really see. In fact I'm 100% sure that Ray Rizzo was the only person this past season to run two Mega's on his team.

Would regular Aerodactyl be a good substitite? It stll has very high speed and attack with access to rock slide.

Would regular Aerodactyl be a good substitite? It stll has very high speed and attack with access to rock slide.

It would be fine. Tough Claws won't really mean much when the main attacks you'll be using are Rock Slide and EQ.

I'm wondering why you chose against using Power Up Punch on Kangaskhan? Because obviously, the +2 attack boost could be pretty useful. I might suggest swapping out Protect for it. I also think Murkrow is an interesting choice, but as I haven't seen it in battle before, I don't want to make any snap judgements on it (just look at Pachirisu xD).

Personally, I would have to strongly disagree with @TerraTF's suggestion of running Aerodactyl alongside Mega Charizard Y, because if anything, that will open up a massive weakness to Rock Slides from your opponent. If you feel like you do need another Pokémon carrying the move, there are plenty of other options in the Kalos Pokédex, such as Tyranitar (which gets STAB from it but unlike Aerodactyl, isn't weak to return fire).

Firstly, I wholeheartedly agree that P-UP M. Kang is one of the best Pokémon in the meta and that using one without P-UP is not a bad idea... That's all I have to say on this topic.

Secondly, two Pokémon in a pair both being weak to Rock is something you definately do NOT want to have, especially if you have other 'mons already weak to it, seeing as it's one of the best offencive types in the game... Do you actually play VGC, Terra?

Also, just a little nitpick I had with this comment you made, Terra;

In fact I'm 100% sure that Ray Rizzo was the only person this past season to run two Mega's on his team.

I also beleive the second place winner from the event, Jeudy Azzarelli, used a Mega Lucario and Mega Charizard... Just saying.

Well when I was researching(I knew mostly about the Pokémon but not the sets), it repeatedly was telling me PU-P wasn't necessary. It wasn't GameFaqs or any site like that, but even Nugget Bridge told me it hit hard enough without it. I had PU-P originally too, but when I was under the impression it wasn't necessary I changed it.

Thanks @Joshawott ; and @BadAssGardevoir ; for the help. Honestly I'm garbage at teambuilding >_> So this was really kinda hard for me.

Also, just a little nitpick I had with this comment you made, Terra;

In fact I'm 100% sure that Ray Rizzo was the only person this past season to run two Mega's on his team.

I also beleive the second place winner from the event, Jeudy Azzarelli, used a Mega Lucario and Mega Charizard... Just saying.

I've actually seen that it's a common occurrence for players to have two Pokémon in their 6 that are capable of Mega Evolution, especially if one of them is really predictable (like Kangaskhan or Mawile). It was the same in VGC10 when you could have up to 4 big legendaries in your party but could only bring two into each battle, some people (myself included) used three, as it allowed for more flexibility.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom