• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

"What If" Scenario fanfics

I have a question: For my What If fic, should Dawn's Piplup evolve should I have the Everstone slip off it during it and Togekiss's combo attack? It'd be an interesting twist to me.

I think a few What-If stories would be pretty good, but you could also them connected to the games themselves. I've been considering for a while a "What If" storyline in which the main character loses aginst one of the villians, and their plans end up going ahead.

I think a few What-If stories would be pretty good, but you could also them connected to the games themselves. I've been considering for a while a "What If" storyline in which the main character loses aginst one of the villians, and their plans end up going ahead.

That's sort of what I was talking about earlier.

In fact, the Silph Co. thing sounds like a good basis for a Mirror Universe story. You or I might have to try that out.

For my What If scenario, I plan to just make it an alternate ending to "A Grand Fight For Winning" and that's it.

The point is that I was disappointed at the Sinnoh GF's outcome as I wanted Dawn to win so the only logical thing to do now is write my own alternate happy ending where Dawn wins. No consequences, just a happy ending that can satisfied those who wanted Dawn to go all the way while she was still around.

I just want to show people that Dawn could've won the GF if the writers (I repeat, writers) let her at the time. She's a fictitious character whose fate is determined by real people yet some don't act like that's true without realizing it.

And don't worry as I plan to make the fic fun to read for all.

P.S. I also plan to write a "What If" mini-series where Ash wins against Paul in the Sinnoh League finals and faces the Elite Four, making it all the way to Cynthia where they have an epic battle. I've yet to decide if Ash should win, lose or tie with Cynthia.

What do you think?

I'm sorry if I sound harsh... but it seems that you're only writing these to "rant on" about how the writer's were wrong...

That could end badly with your fic, because it might make it too personal to you, and it ends up becoming awkward to write. I could be wrong, but still... Go for it.

Ash did defeat Paul though, I believe you meant Tobias. Ash should lose against Cynthia in my opinion, because if he won, then it would be the end for the fic, and no character development can be made. If he loses, he can develop his character, then re-battle her and win.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh... but it seems that you're only writing these to "rant on" about how the writer's were wrong...

That could end badly with your fic, because it might make it too personal to you, and it ends up becoming awkward to write. I could be wrong, but still... Go for it.

I'm going to try not to make it seem like I'm ranting in the fic itself. Rather I'm going to make a few complaints in the introduction and author's notes and write the fic while not making it seem too personal and giving it an entertaining story and writing style.

It's like a What If fic where its an alternate happy ending rather than an alternate downer ending. Sure, conflict which result from altered events can be interesting but I want to see if I can make a What If fic that results in a happy ending and have the reader find the read worthwhile.

Ash did defeat Paul though, I believe you meant Tobias. Ash should lose against Cynthia in my opinion, because if he won, then it would be the end for the fic, and no character development can be made. If he loses, he can develop his character, then re-battle her and win.

While that's true, if I had Ash win, then I'd end it right there. If this ending happened in the actual show, Ash would not have gone to Unova and BW would've been a real fresh start for the Anime. The writers wouldn't have to retcon Ash's character for BW and they would be able to use a fresh new cast of characters which is what the show needs.

In other words, this would be an alternate ending to Ash's story. Let's face it, he overstayed his welcome.

And there's would be development for Ash as (depending on who's writing the story) he'd make his Pokemon stronger with each battle with an Elite Four member. He'd have to overcome situations in battle and once he reaches Cynthia, he'd be more than ready.

Point is: you can make any piece of literature entertaining if you can make things work out in the end.

But of course, this is my opinion.

I agree and that makes this not so much a What if? fic as much as a fix fic.

In your idea, there's nothing really happening beyond Dawn winning the Grand Festival, no change to the universe and it seems that you want to write this more as a way to support the agenda that main characters should win tournaments. If so, then publishing an essay as a blog would serve your purpose better.

Plus, your fic aims to prove that Dawn was capable of winning a Grand Festival and that she had progressed since her beginning days as a coordinator, except the canon already made those points by having Dawn make the finals and being barely edged out by Zoey in the end. That means that the fic, as you describe it right now, as little raison d'être.

That's not to say you shouldn't write a What if? fic. A What if? fic is about taking one event and show how had that one event gone differently, things would have been massively different. The changed event is the starting point of the fic, not an end.

Therefore, a What if Dawn had won the Sinnoh Grand Festival? fic should be about showing what drastically changed in Dawn's life and other character's lives because of her win. Maybe Ash is so jealous and nervous that she won before him that he puts too much pressure on himself and his pokémon for the League and turns into a Paul-like trainer... Maybe Zoey snaps and screams that Dawn never would have made it there without her, prompting her to help Charon in a rebirth of Team Galactic. Maybe Ambipom is so sad not to have contributed to Dawn's victory that she commits suicide by throwing herself off a building in Vermilion City. Possibilities are endless, just remember that Dawn winning should be the beginning, not the end.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom