• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

When Did you start watching pokemon

I have no idea, it was some time in the early 2000s. Maybe 2001-2002 when I was 5-6 years old?

All I know 100% is that I was introduced to the anime via some of Viz's videotape releases of early season 1 episodes (I had like three tapes, who else remembers that ad for Pokémon Red and Blue they had on the tapes with the bus full of Pokémon that then gets squished into a Game Boy?) and it wasn't until a little while later that I started watching new episodes on Kids' WB.

Around 1999, I was around 4 years old and it became my favorite show for no reason, I can't remember what was the first episode I watched. It aired on weekdays on Caracol Television around 2 pm.

I don't exactly remember which episode it was, but it was the first season in either 1999 or 2000 when I was 4 - 5 years old. I remember enjoying other shows, such as Ghostbusters or Power Rangers from back then but nothing stood like Pokémon did for me.

I forget. I know the chorus of Battle Frontier by heart, so the naive answer is whenever that season aired. This, however, excludes the possibility of reruns. Which would create a range so large to render the distinction meaningless. Had to be sometime before I got a copy of Diamond, so... vague mid to late 2000s?

Around 2004 for me, while Advance Generation was ongoing. I can't quite remember the first episode I watched, but it was after Ash caught Tailow and Treecko, and before May and Jessie caught their respective Wurmple. However, I stopped watching the anime in 2012, only seeing the films afterwards until M18.

Definitely the earliest I can remember was late 1999 - early 2000. I particularly remember watching the Kanto saga up to Hoenn. Started watching less when the Sinnoh anime came out, and barely in the Unova series. Stopped before Kalos, which is funny since people cherish that series so much. Kinda watched it again when Journeys was airing - but that was only for the Masters' Eight and the Lance vs Leon episode. I wanted to see if Ash would actually win it.

I first saw it in 1999 or 2000. I didn't watch it consistently. It was a miracle that I tuned into watch "Who Gets to Keep Togepi?". It had moved to a prohibitive timeslot or channel before the Johto arc began, so I really only saw a small handful of episodes when they aired.

About ten years ago, I started watching through the anime on sketchy websites lol because there was nowhere else to do so, but I stopped early in the Johto arc because it was getting boring and predictable.

I did see Movies 1, 2, and 5 in theaters, and 11 and 13 on their TV premieres, and I own all of the movies on DVD except the Mewtwo remake.

In 2000 when I saw episodes of the Indigo League. I distinctly remember watching "Holy Matrimony!" because it explained James' backstory and gave him a lot more significance beyond being somebody working for Team Rocket.

I start with the OG trio of Ash,Brock and Misty in 1999.

The first episode I saw was EP 003 of the franchise, but it took a few months, I believe, for me to be able to watch the other episodes.

I talked more about this here:

Like many here, I've been watching the anime for so long that I'm not exactly sure when I started and what was the first episode I saw. Still, the first memory that comes to mind is watching the Caterpie episode and being overjoyed when it evolved.

I remember watching this episode at my mother's friend's house, with her children, on Cartoon Network. However, I didn't have cable TV, and therefore I didn't know when I would be able to watch the anime again. Fortunately, some time later, I found out that it was also on open TV.

Honestly, I don't have many memories of that time, I just know that I loved Pokémon anime, just like Digimon, and that watching it was one of the most important and satisfying things for me. Some of my memories at the time are that I was stupefied with "Ash's Haunter" and very sad that he didn't get the Pokémon, which is why this evolutionary line is, even today, one of my favorites.

Last edited:
I first got into it when I was apparently two/three years old and my aunt bought me the “Mastermind of the Mirage Pokémon”/“Lucario and the Mystery of Mew” DVD two-in-one pack thing. Used to watch those two movies (or movie and special I guess) like crazy.

My first actual episode I saw was “I Choose You” from the 10th anniversary Pokémon DVD set. The one that had 3 episodes for 10 unique Pokémon, like Meowth and Jigglypuff and whatnot.

Early 2007 when they aired that 10 year anniversary Pokemon marathon. And the "movie special" for the D/P anime when that came out. I refused to go get my dinner when it dropped that day until there was a commercial.

I think my first episode of the anime was...something from Battle Frontier one of the episodes with the tower. Oh...Fear Factor Phony. That one.

Early 2007 when they aired that 10 year anniversary Pokemon marathon. And the "movie special" for the D/P anime when that came out. I refused to go get my dinner when it dropped that day until there was a commercial.

I think my first episode of the anime was...something from Battle Frontier one of the episodes with the tower. Oh...Fear Factor Phony. That one.
CN?

1999 on KidsWB. i can't remember which episode was my first one, tho since it's been almost 25 years.

I likely would have started around 2000-2002ish watching in the mornings on TV before heading to school. I don't remember which series specifically but I do remember watching Pokemon 2000 the movie a bunch of times when I was a kid since we had it on VHS.

I have fond, early memories watching it when I was three-years-old (and getting Yellow version soon after), in the late 1990s. In addition to watching it air whenever I could, my mother bought me several VHS tapes that would have 3 episodes or so in it. The amount of times I would replay the one with the first three episodes...is probably embarrassing, aha. When they got to Johto though, I was able to start watching it routinely afterschool or on Saturday mornings.

Back
Top Bottom