• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which "Departure" Episode Was the Most Memorable/Emotional?

Poliwhirl42

Reaction score
Did Misty's "goodbye" flashback get the best of you? Or did Ash and Dawn's final D/P "high-five" make you teary? I'm not embarrassed to say that both scenes made me tear up a little. Although May and Max's departure also counts, I personally thought the other two were better. What do you guys think?

RULES:

1. Try not to focus this on shipping, or who had the better bond with Ash. This is about the episode in general- music, flashbacks, dialogue, Pokemon interactions, etc.
2. No bashing the other episodes/characters! Focus on the one you chose.
3. This does not have to be an official departure episode- it could be one where the characters have split up for a short time (i.e. right before Battle Frontier, Brock's short absence in the Orange League, a Pokemon's release or giveaway to another trainer). It doesn't necessarily have to be the very last episode of that arc (although the majority obviously are).

Last edited:
Misty's, she had been in the show since Day 1, longer than Brock (he took a pause) I was only little and I cried when she was leaving because I really liked Misty.

Misty's leaving was what made me tear up the most. Took me a day-ish to get over it

I never really got emotional when any character left the show. I just accepted it would be the end of them and we'd see them make cameos in the future and that's all. I did think DP191 had the best overall ending, but that's only because of everything it wrapped up, from the final Cynthia match, Ash and Brock's goodbye, Dawn's departure...but it didn't make me emotional.

Although characters goodbye use to be quite emotional, I find more "cryable" releases of certain Pokémon, Butterfree is classic, but my weak point were TR´s Pokémon releases/departures, especially Arbok/Weezing´s, Cacneas, Chimecho and Dustox´s (well, that means almost all of them :D)

Definately Dawn's. It really made me tear up. (That's not really sayin' much, though)

Definitely "Gotta Catch YA Later". Even after all this years none of main character departures created such emotion and impact like separation of original trio did, and i was anything but indifferent here. Whole episode was build on touching note, being sad to see Ash, Misty and Brock having to leave after going through so many adventures and both good, and bad times together. Misty was crushed in here visibly not wanting to leave her friends being upset and on edge of tears, Brock showed how much he cared for his companions and Ash was heartbroken the most when his two best friends left him after so much time alone.

Dialogue and animation were beautiful, there was a lot of characterization in here and you could clearly tell how much friendship between Ash and his comrades grew since Kanto days becoming attached to each other having closest bound imo .

I hope we will see original gang reunited at least once more(maybe for last season or something)with things coming full circle and to tie up loose ends in their stories, but eh .

Last edited:
Dawn's departure has so far been the best. They learned a lot with Misty's departure, May's departure, Tracy's, etc. They knew how to pull at emotions, they knew how to set scenes. The colours, the music, everything about it was perfect.

In addition, you knew that not only Dawn was leaving, but Brock was as well. It was two well rounded and likeable characters, one of which had been there since practically the beginning, leaving. I don't think they could have done that episode any better.

In addition, you knew that not only Dawn was leaving, but Brock was as well. It was two well rounded and likeable characters, one of which had been there since practically the beginning, leaving. I don't think they could have done that episode any better.

^ Brock's goodbye was literally a single handshake that happened in the last 10 seconds of the episode. I don't think it was handled well at all, especially when you consider that he was on the cast for 13 years. It felt no different than when Ash/Brock split up at the end of AG, they did the same thing there.

I think it would have been better if Brock DIDN'T leave in the same episode Dawn did, but the one before DP190. He should have gotten his own goodbye ep rather than being second fiddle to Dawn.

I thought Misty's departure in Gotta Catch You Later was good (the original japanese version that is). I personally thought that what made the departure more emotional was Shinji Miyazaki's score. It used two unreleased pieces from Revelation Lugia and Tears After The Cloudy Weather. The dub is one of those things when the voice acting and the script are decent, but it could have been a whole lot better if they left Miyazaki's score intact. Getting back on topic, I like how the animation in Gotta Catch You Later was directed by Masaaki Iwane (Charizard Vs Magmar). I can really feel Ash's emotional bond between two of his closest friends. I know they come back later, but this episode felt like the series finale of the entire anime franchise because it looked as if Ash wasn't going to see Misty and Brock again for years to come. That's really all I have to say about this episode.

Togetic's departure for me was the most emotional. Just knowing that it was pretty much Misty's baby and she had to let it go was... very emotional. I will always remember it.

II know they come back later, but this episode felt like the series finale of the entire anime franchise because it looked as if Ash wasn't going to see Misty and Brock again for years to come. That's really all I have to say about this episode.

Which is kinda downplayed because Brock returns just 4 episodes later and lingers in the anime for another 8 years. lol.

Oh there's so many to choose from. Of course I am quite fond of the major departures but if I had to choose just one, then I find myself more attached to the departure of Arbok and Weezing because they had been Jessie and James' partners in crime since day one of the show and it was a shame to see their first Pokémon leave (not counting James' Growlithe). Yes I did feel a tear drop down the eye the first time I saw this, even if CITV made some scene cuts to make it fit to a 15 minute time slot, though have since re-watched this ep in full after importing the DVD's from Australia.

Back
Top Bottom