• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Who's going to Nationals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Politoed666

#winning
Reaction score
So... as many of you probably know, both the Pokémon Trading Card Game National Championships and the Pokémon Video Game National Championships are taking place on June 27th and 28th in St. Louis, Missouri this year. I don't want to go into information such as the times and locations, but information for the TCG tournament can be found here and information for the VG tournament can be found here. We here at Bulbagarden are wondering what forum/'Pedia/oekaki/etc. members will be able to attend, so this is the thread to discuss the event and talk about the possibility (or lack thereof) of attending. (Note: Persuasion of members who don't want to go is encouraged!)

Now, TTEchidna and I will both likely be attending the event, with myself participating in the TCG National Championships and him participating in the Video Game National Championships. So, we have prominent members in both events, if I may be so bold as to refer to myself as prominent. We've been discussing the benefits of greater visibility for Bulbagarden that could be achieved by having Bulbagarden members attend these events and spread the word of the Garden. It seems to be a consensus that having more BMG members attend these events is a good thing, so anyone with the ability to attend should consider the possibility. Of course, if you have monetary issues (which so many Pokéfans do, it seems. Maybe it's the plushes.) or live 2,000 miles away, it might not be worth it to you, and that's fine. But Nationals could be a once in a lifetime chance to talk with other BMG members and maybe play against them in person. Additionally, of course, Nats will be a fun and friendly event for all, and that's the focus of it, so the aforementioned things are just an added incentive.

So, I'm starting to go on a spiel, as I so often do. I'll cut the crap. Who's going to Nationals?! WOO!

High likelihood, Poli, not definite. I do want to go, but again, we'll have to see how it's looking this time next month.

nope. i've got better things to do than travel to st. louis. school, most notably...

I might. My family is going to hersheys park around the end of June

The only reason I know I probably won't see that event, is because I haven't been able to have a TCG league in my area for years, therefore... no practice or new cards at all. If I can't use them, then what's the point beyond getting my fave character's cards?

I do wish I could have a good reason to go though, maybe next year if I get the chance to own a real deck & be able to practice a lot, but I seriously doubt it.

In late June? Really?

ah, must've misread. however, i'm still probably not gonna make it, largely due to the fact that i live about a thousand miles away, with no means of transport unless i cling to the driveshaft of DCM's car for the 12 hour drive (if they take a plane, i'm screwed).

Definitely not going to the VG nat. championship, no matter how much I want to. My father wants us to visit my grandfather in Florida sometime in June so it's unlikely.

Last edited:
I'm going to try to beat the Texas video game competition, so I can get into Nationals. Bet it won't happen.

Love to can't, want to can't! My schedule is booked during June: 1st-5th Driver's Ed. School, 8th-13th Centrifuge, 20th-24th Band Camp, and then there is the possibility of my brother's family visiting, and there is the definite vacation. So, in summary: would love can't! Also, really whats the point of going if you aren't going to compete?

I'm going to try to beat the Texas video game competition, so I can get into Nationals. Bet it won't happen.

You don't need to qualify for the video game Nats... just show up. It says so on the info site.

Going all the way to Nats, paying for a hotel, and then getting denied entry would be a complete waste of money and time (only 128 people will be allowed). And if you go and get denied, you can't even play in the TCG tourney since it's at the same time.

I just read most of the sites, and i somewhat agree. I will diffidently be going to Regionals in Texas though, since I'm flying there the day before.

Uhm...Water Pokemon Master, I may be wrong but I think you have to quailify at the Regionals to compete...

Uhm...Water Pokemon Master, I may be wrong but I think you have to quailify at the Regionals to compete...

No, that's incorrect. Anyone is free to participate in either the video game or the TCG Nats, provided they don't show up after the attendance cap has been reached.

Going all the way to Nats, paying for a hotel, and then getting denied entry would be a complete waste of money and time (only 128 people will be allowed). And if you go and get denied, you can't even play in the TCG tourney since it's at the same time.

I hope to God you're referring to the VG Nats as a 128 person cap. Last I heard, the TCG Nats had a cap of about 1200. At least that's the word on the street. :D

I'd love to participate in the VG Tournament.

...unfortunately, I think it's only open to players of Platinum Version, which I lack. And even if it were open to Diamond/Pearl players, it would probably take us 25 hours to drive to St. Louis, and a flight would be too expensive, even if I got my Zapdos to take us. So I'm afraid the answer is no.

Maybe I should just go around looking for challengers during the summer?

I hope to God you're referring to the VG Nats as a 128 person cap. Last I heard, the TCG Nats had a cap of about 1200. At least that's the word on the street. :D

i just got the funniest image of some poke-nerds suspiciously gathering in the back alleys of major cities...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom