• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Wi-Fi confuses me

SHTR

That Tauros Weirdo
Reaction score
Wi-Fi is something that has never been properly explained to me, and I would like to know EXACTLY how Id be able to trade with people on different continents and stuff.

Do I have to spend a fortune just to be able to do this?
Is it simple enough for someone who is technologically incompetant?
Can I trade any time I want, and not have to worry about where I am?

As far as I know:

1. It's free.
2. Probably.
3. I think you have to have some sort of USB WiFi thingie or be at a WiFi spot for it to work.

Do I have to spend a fortune just to be able to do this?

If you already have a Wi-Fi router or one of Nintendo's adapters, OR you know of a place you can go that's Wi-Fi ready, then it's free. Otherwise you'll need to purchase a router, or one of Nintendo's adapters (made specifically for the Wii and DS and works off the regular internet connection you have), OR you can find a place near you that's Wi-Fi capable (coffee shops, internet cafes, various other places).

Is it simple enough for someone who is technologically incompetant?

It should be. And, if not, there's a great site at NintendoWiFi.com that has an extremely helpful FAQ for setting up a connection with your DS (the ONLY part that might be somewhat confusing).

Can I trade any time I want, and not have to worry about where I am?

As long as you're within range of a Wi-Fi router/adapter, then you should be fine. But, no, you can't just go just anywhere and use the Wi-Fi features.

There's something I wanted to know as well. Would I be able to run Nintendo Wi-Fi on a 100 Mbps connection? I've heard lots of figures and I just wanted to be sure.

Wait, so I need to try and find a place with a Wi-Fi Router, so that I can trade.

I cant remember correctly, but I think I saw a Place near where my mum works with a Wi-Fi sign up. WOO

Or if you have cable at home, but its not wifi, you can just buy the little nintendo ds usb wifi plug deal (looks kinda like a little flash drive) and you could do it from home.

How much would that be (Im pricing this all up ATM, because If I get the game Id need to get a DS)

At the moment, on Amazon, a normal DS is coming out as about £70, plus £30 for the game, and this is looking like itll be an expensive hobby

The wifi plug is 30 dollars american. Really expensive in my opinion. Might be just cheaper to take your Pokemon to McDonald's.

I live in England though, so they wont have Wi-Fi at McDonalds

Wait, so I need to try and find a place with a Wi-Fi Router, so that I can trade.

I cant remember correctly, but I think I saw a Place near where my mum works with a Wi-Fi sign up. WOO

Nintendo's Wi-Fi site has a search feature that enables you to find "hotspots" (places with Wi-Fi connections) near you. That link is to the UK search.

Just throwing that out there.

Woot. Thanks GrnMarvl, Just found out there is a Wi-Fi Hotspot at the university thats like, across the road from me.

And I think Ill check near where my mum works, because that could always be easier. :D

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom