• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Would you name your kid after a Pokemon?

Well considering that I like the idea of my kids having jobs, "Mr. Ho-Oh, why do you think you're a good fit for this job?" No thank you... :lol:
Then again if you wanted to be a troll parent...

No,and I wouldn't even name my future dog after a Pokemon(i don't want kids xD)

I've always thought Roselia was a pretty name, so I'd have to say yes in that respect.

I've always thought Roselia was a pretty name, so I'd have to say yes in that respect.

Likewise, I've always thought Wobbuffet was a good name.

no

though i do intend to name my daughter if i have one cynthia becuase thats just such an awesome name and cynthia is the best champion.

no

though i do intend to name my daughter if i have one cynthia becuase thats just such an awesome name and cynthia is the best champion.

Her anime counterpart is cool, but her game makes me want to buy legos and throw them around the floor in her bedroom while she sleeps.

As for me, well,

"Oh who is that darling little boy over there? He's so nice, sharing his toys."

"Why that is my sweet baby Charizard. How I love him so. Charizard! Come to mummy! <3"

I would not name my child after Pokémon. Here's another stupid example, this time in Japanese:
"Pachirisu-san, anata wa buki o motte imasu ka?"
"パチリスさん、あなたは武器を持っていますか?"
"Watashi wa Hikozaru-san, anata o tatakaitai to omoimasu."
私はキモリさん、あなたを戦いたいと思います。

If this is a real name, it could be a big source of ridicule... So I'd use Pokémon name as nicknames instead of real names. This also applies to some Pokémon names whose sound like real names, such as Ho-Oh, Marill and Roselia, or even Japanese Pokémon names like Otachi, Pippi or Kimori (Japanese name for Sentret, Clefairy and Treecko, respectively).

Our kids are screwed.

I`ve got another one. I`d name a snooty baby Sneer, after my Serperior XD

Zekrom would make for a pretty cool name, but I wouldn't name my kids after it. XD

I'd understand naming them Ash or May or something similar to that, But not a pokémon name.

I'd understand naming them Ash or May or something similar to that, But not a pokémon name.
I agree, because I actually really like the name Ash. But the idea of naming them after the creatures themselves is a little too far for me.

Some of you guys just need a little imagination! I shall name my children Porygon, Porygon 2, and Porygon Z. I find this completely logical. Its a lot easier to remember their names!
KIDDING!
Well I really do love the name Roselia. Its pretty, and Rose or Rosie would be completely acceptable nicknames. I also adore the name Eevee, but just as a nickname, not something that's actually on a birth certificate. Another daughter of mine would be Skyla, because I've always liked the names Skye and Skylar. This just connects it to pokemon.
I can't think of a good boy's name, besides Aron, and I refuse to name my child anything similar to me. So my son will probably have a completely normal name. Poor kid. Oh and I'll have another daughter named Ariana (I have always wanted to name my child that). Wow. Looks like I'll be having 5 kids! Or adopting 1 or more. Man I like to ramble.
My point is, don't rule out possibilities! Unless they're ridiculous. Like Unfezant.

^ Actually, in my mother languague there is a female name sounding very close to Roselia, Rozália. But it is really old name nobody uses anymore and so I´m afraid that the child would have as bad time as it would be named Genesect or something similar.

(And considering human characters, I really don´t like paired foregin names with slavic surnames, because it always sound very riddiculous, so unless I marry a foreigner or someone with weird surname, this is also out of question in most cases.)

Naming my child after a Pokemon would be weird, though I'd be willing to name my kid after a Gym leader, as it makes more sense.

heck, i named my dog onix and my hermit crab spinda. wouldnt be bad to name a pokemon.

How about those Japanese names? Somebody thinks Pokemon names are nice for a kid's name, but I don't even want to nickname my children after Pokemon (unless it's human characters' names). I found some Japanese Pokemon names (such as Mijumaru and Hikozaru) can be weird when translated to kanji, shinjitai or kyujitai. For example, "konnichiwa, watashiwa Mizugorou desu.". This applies only to Pokemon whose Japanese names are different from English names (such as Upah, Eievui and Otachi), as some Pokemon have Japanese names same as English names (such as Roselia, Pachirisu or Kirlia).

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom