• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Have been reading over some early chapters of Eight Easy Steps: just scrolled past one and got confused as it was only two and a half pages long and I was wondering where the rest was. I miss the days when my chapters managed to be short and concise.

Usually I stop at 7 pages per chapter. But some chapters manage to go beyond that. Like, the current chapter I'm writing is 16 pages long, and I'm still not done with it. by the time it's finished, it's probably gonna be 20+ pages long, possibly even the longest chapter in the story.

Usually I stop at 7 pages per chapter. But some chapters manage to go beyond that. Like, the current chapter I'm writing is 16 pages long, and I'm still not done with it. by the time it's finished, it's probably gonna be 20+ pages long, possibly even the longest chapter in the story.
You should read Galactic some time. That'll be a walk in the park for you ;)

Well, I'm not entirely wishy-washy either, being a big biology fan xD Though astrophysics has to be the glory whore of the sciences amirite
Now you're ripping on my major, too? What'd I do to you, Beth? Tell me and I'll make it better. :cry:

So, progress on Chapter Two has slowed down to a crawl. Less than a crawl, really. Y'know what I said about deadlines? Screw deadlines.

I never anticipated how hard it would be to write the pokédex in a way that (hopefully) makes sense and seems believable to the reader. That is my crutch at the moment. I've rewritten the first few pages so often now, which are all about the pokédex, and with each rewrite I find myself questioning it more and more. What makes things more difficult is the fact that I'm planning on including a battle in the second half of the chapter and I'm really looking forward to writing that, so much so that it's almost a distraction to what I'm doing at the moment.

I'm actually considering putting the first half on hold, which is what is giving me difficulty, and write the second half now. I'm hoping that if I do that, it will somehow motivate me to get the first part sorted out. Has anyone ever done this before? I'm a little hesitant in case it will totally put me off the first part entirely, and weary of the potential inconsistencies between part one and two.
I sometimes end up with some scenes I really want to write, and then have to slog through everything leading up to it, and sometimes skipping ahead a bit or working on something else can help. I'd say give it a try if you want. Honestly, though, since you're writing Pokemon fiction, I'm not sure making the Pokedex believable is too terribly important. It seems to be a pretty well-accepted thing, whether it makes sense or not. It also depends on how much of an impact it'll have on your story. If it's not gonna show up often, it's less of a priority than if it makes frequent appearances.

I'm actually considering putting the first half on hold, which is what is giving me difficulty, and write the second half now. I'm hoping that if I do that, it will somehow motivate me to get the first part sorted out. Has anyone ever done this before? I'm a little hesitant in case it will totally put me off the first part entirely, and weary of the potential inconsistencies between part one and two.

I do that all the time. In fact, I write my stories specifically in a nonchronological order, though I do make a point to finish the sections / scenes of each chapter in order.

So long as you are open to rechecks and ideally have another pair of eyes taking a look at your advances, skipping the first part until you're ready to write it should not cause serious inconsistencies, IMO.

I try to constrain my chapters to word count, as number of pages can vary heavily: ten pages of dialogue might be the same length as six pages of longer paragraphs. As for how long they are . . . it varies by fic, but I try to keep them consistent. The chapters of my SW fic average out at 4,500 words, whereas Champion Game was more like 2-500-3,000.

I try to constrain my chapters to word count, as number of pages can vary heavily: ten pages of dialogue might be the same length as six pages of longer paragraphs. As for how long they are . . . it varies by fic, but I try to keep them consistent. The chapters of my SW fic average out at 4,500 words, whereas Champion Game was more like 2-500-3,000.
I usually try to keep my wordcount close to 3000 as well.

I swear it feels like Flashback Friday around these parts: both Legacy and Misheard Whisper writing again? Someone better call Gama, the nostalgia train is pulling in and he might miss a ride.

Honestly I'm still not sure why I left. I didn't write anything for the three years I was at university (essays aside, yeuch) and it was slowly killing me. This is kind of like coming home after a long time away.

At least it means there will be some juicy new entries in the awards this time - though we might have to re-examine our new rules to see if 'old timers making unexpected comebacks' still counts as 'new' :p

Well, I do still have this thing:
7Pp12tW.png
(which I actually made for myself, ironically, though it was legitimately won) so I don't think I qualify as a newcomer. In fact, I'm not sure how I even counted as a newcomer at that time, because I've definitely been writing here since 2009 at least. Oh well. :p

I swear it feels like Flashback Friday around these parts: both Legacy and Misheard Whisper writing again? Someone better call Gama, the nostalgia train is pulling in and he might miss a ride.
I guess now is the time to make note that Caitlin may or may not be contributing in a major way to an upcoming chapter of Storm Island.

That reminds me, is it too late to petition for "Best Reviewer" to be renamed "Queen of Reviews"?
Yes, yes it is.

Well, I do still have this thing:
7Pp12tW.png
(which I actually made for myself, ironically, though it was legitimately won) so I don't think I qualify as a newcomer. In fact, I'm not sure how I even counted as a newcomer at that time, because I've definitely been writing here since 2009 at least. Oh well. :p
Oh dear, you really are an oldtimer, aren't you? Those awards don't count for diddly squat anymore. If you go back to around the 590's, you'll see what I mean by the new rule anyway.
And also, speaking of you making banners - there were six you never made for two different awards ceremonies. I had to get Arkadelphiak to fill them in last year :p

I guess now is the time to make note that Caitlin may or may not be contributing in a major way to an upcoming chapter of Storm Island.
Seriously, it's old mod central around here. Come July and we'll all be sitting in shocked horror as harryheart claims Best Story and Character.

Back
Top Bottom