• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY123: Find Melecie! Numelgon and Dedenne!!

Are you calling me "dumb"? It is not just you I am speaking of. Read the other posts as well, but please do not be so rude. I don't want this review to get into a flame war.

I merely used your own words to make a point. The words in which you explicitly called others, including myself, dumb-so forgive me if I find your offense to my comment hypocritical.
But yes, let us get back on topic.

I merely used your own words to make a point. The words in which you explicitly called others, including myself, dumb-so forgive me if I find your offense to my comment hypocritical.
But yes, let us get back on topic.

If you've read TV Tropes, you would know that the term "fan dumb" is used to describe pretty bad fandoms who tend to be obsessive over a franchise, but are otherwise not accepting of other opinions, or state theirs is the most important, among others. I didn't mean to be insulting, but please don't be rude when I make a mistake.

If you've read TV Tropes, you would know that the term "fan dumb" is used to describe pretty bad fandoms who tend to be obsessive over a franchise, but are otherwise not accepting of other opinions, or state theirs is the most important, among others. I didn't mean to be insulting, but please don't be rude when I make a mistake.
And how was I suppose to know that? That's your problem right there. You're assuming that your audience knows the context of your terminology, when they may in fact not know. Alone without context, which is how you conveyed the term in your initial post, "fan dumb" is insulting and rude. I wouldn't say I was rude to you when you made a mistake, because I didn't even know a mistake was being made. Thus it would help tremendously in the future if you provide such context for comments such as these. Given the nature of online interactions, it goes a long way to clearly spell out your intentions and or references to avoid miscommunication or ill intention.

She's probably been informed that Alain is fighting on her behalf. It sucks that we never saw Alain actually apologize but it's not like Mairin is the type of character to hold a grudge and hate on other people.
I don't often disagree with you Tsutarja...
Why do you (and many others) feel the need to make excuses for lazy writing? This and Alan's badge quest are two examples of things discussed in this thread which just don't make sense within the anime, but for some reason people feel the need to imagine up reasons (which are not clearly inferable from what we're shown) as to why unexpected and unexplained event x has occurred. I don't have a problem with people doing this per se, but it annoys me when made-up validations are used to counter to complaints about genuinely poor writing!

I don't often disagree with you Tsutarja...
Why do you (and many others) feel the need to make excuses for lazy writing? This and Alan's badge quest are two examples of things discussed in this thread which just don't make sense within the anime, but for some reason people feel the need to imagine up reasons (which are not clearly inferable from what we're shown) as to why unexpected and unexplained event x has occurred. I don't have a problem with people doing this per se, but it annoys me when made-up validations are used to counter to complaints about genuinely poor writing!
What doesn't make sense to you?

From the moment Alain made his debut, we were shown that it is his mission to become the greatest, the strongest, all for the purpose of protecting what's important to him. Alain going to the League is yet another step towards that goal. Why shouldn't Alain, who up to this point has been driven by defeating strong trainers to become stronger himself, go and participate in a competition where not only there will be a bunch of strong trainers but where he can also gather the Mega Evolution energy needed to help Chespin?

Alain challenging the League is consistent with what we have learned about him.

I'm not making excuses for lazy writing, because I don't see it as lazy writing.

Although it sucks that Goodra will most likely not return for the League i am glad to see that Alain will be participating in it.

From the moment Alain made his debut, we were shown that it is his mission to become the greatest, the strongest, all for the purpose of protecting what's important to him.
And we've also seen how much this has effed him (and what's important to him) up. For me this was the trajectory that the ME specials took and it ended at this tipping point here:
a4.png
Without even acknowledging the angry/dangerous force he's become, in anime proper he's just become Satoshi's friendly rival with a little contribution to Flare plot thrown in!
The fact that the 1 real reason he's challenging the League is so that he can fight Satoshi again (I'm sure the other valid components you mentioned do factor in, but based on what we've been shown they're not the core cause) doesn't ring true with where the specials were taking us.
What rankles me the most is that Tomioka himself wrote XY116 (the League hint-drop failure and Manon's video clip).

It's still not too late for this to be amended if we get some really good direction in the League/Flare round-up but I'm starting to lose faith in the Alan/Manon thread of the story.
Alain challenging the League is consistent with what we have learned about him.
Apart from when he directly stated he had no interest :p But I suppose that's by the by!!

And we've also seen how much this has effed him (and what's important to him) up. For me this was the trajectory that the ME specials took and it ended at this tipping point here:
a4.png
Without even acknowledging the angry/dangerous force he's become, in anime proper he's just become Satoshi's friendly rival with a little contribution to Flare plot thrown in!
The fact that the 1 real reason he's challenging the League is so that he can fight Satoshi again (I'm sure the other valid components you mentioned do factor in, but based on what we've been shown they're not the core cause) doesn't ring true with where the specials were taking us.
What rankles me the most is that Tomioka himself wrote XY116 (the League hint-drop failure and Manon's video clip).

It's still not too late for this to be amended if we get some really good direction in the League/Flare round-up but I'm starting to lose faith in the Alan/Manon thread of the story.

Apart from when he directly stated he had no interest :p But I suppose that's by the by!!
To be fair, Manon did send a webcam message to him that Chespie is doing okay, so Alain is probably feeling relieved that she and Chespie are receiving great care at Lysandre Labs. He also wants to get stronger, so what better place to test his skill?

So there won't be any Goodra for the League then? Okay. That disappoints me.

Anyway, this episode barely had my attention at the beginning. Apparently, it just seems like the old Pokemon-causing-trouble plot again. Despite this episode's title, Dedenne and Goodra (especially Goodra) weren't focused on as much as well as Goodra's return receiving less attention than expected. Some things were amusing such as Squishy's floating around in the water.

I really wish there was more to Carbink than what was shown. Drilling holes and making tornadoes seemed a little bit boring TBH. It would've been cool if someone caught one, preferably Serena.

Okay, I'll be the one to say this. I actually really liked Team Rocket's role in the episode, and their Team Song playing made their assault seem so epic. At least Pikachu didn't spam another Thunderbolt at the end to send them flying.

So Alain challenged Korrina and beat her Mega Lucario, thus earning his eighth and final Kalos badge. I'm not gonna argue about his collection of badges though. It was funny seeing Korrina's reaction to her Mega Lucario getting beaten.

The new scene in the opening was also surprising. I can't wait to see Team Flare and Zygarde in the climax.

So this episode had its pros and cons and I'm still disappointed that Goodra won't join Ash for the League. It was nice for Ash and friends to see Goodra again though. I'll give it 6/10.

Last edited:
I feel like its obvious that Goodra will return for the league, since...What else can Ash do? He only has 5 Pokemon by the league and it doesn't seem like he's going to use reserves for this league. I have heard of a theory that Squishy would join as 10% Zygarde, but there's one major flaw with that: Squishy doesn't want to attract attention and we know these leagues are televised.

I feel like its obvious that Goodra will return for the league, since...What else can Ash do? He only has 5 Pokemon by the league and it doesn't seem like he's going to use reserves for this league. I have heard of a theory that Squishy would join as 10% Zygarde, but there's one major flaw with that: Squishy doesn't want to attract attention and we know these leagues are televised.
Yeah since whenever they're in a town or when there's a lot of people, Puni-chan will be hidden in Bonnie's bag until it feels safe to poke it's head out to look around. I'm sure that Puni-chan will be hidden during 90% of the league, occasionally looking what's going on from time to time. Since Alain will be there, there's a 100% chance that it DOES NOT want to be seen by Alain because how it reacted when Alain meet up with Ash and his friends the second time, Puni-chain quickly hide inside Bonnie's bag just as Alain is about to walk outside. About the next episode, I wonder Puni-chan would get separated from Bonnie along with the other Pokemon. If it does get separated from Bonnie, it would stick with one of the main cast's Pokemon like glue until it reunites with Bonnie or just vanish and try to find Bonnie.

Anyways, lets get back on topic. At first I thought that Ash would catch the Carmink since I want him to have a fairy type Pokemon. Since he didn't catch it, oh well, maybe in the Alola region.

I loved how TR appeared. The music, Gourgeist and Inkay, their giant robot... Priceless.

At this point, I am pretty convinced Goodra will be used as Ash's sixth Pokémon. I'd love seeing him using his reserves, but I think that, at this point, that is rather unlikely. I mean, Ash will only use its mysterious sixth Pokémon when the 6x6 battles begin, and let's suppose he only gets to have 2? 3? of this 6x6 battles, and if Ash had to use his reserves, he would only use two or three of them. Unless Ash decides to call one of his "special" Pokémon, Charizard or Sceptile, for example (it would be nice to see Sawyer's Mega Sceptile vs Ash's Sceptile), which may be possible, if the writers decide to focus on only one of his reserves. But seeing Muk or Totodile seems rather impossible at this point, unfortunately. I think Ash will call Goodra (which is sad, not because I dislike Goodra, which I don't, but because I would love to see him using his reserves).

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom